Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my P85D two days ago at Fremont. I drove it for a day before realizing my back seats matched the next gen front seats. After reading the posts here and looking at the design tool online it didn't appear that I would get the next gen back seats. Did they quietly redesign the back ones and put them back in production?

Please take some pictures of your back seats, so we can compare them to the older Next Gen back seats and see if there are any differences.

Here are a couple quick pics Unfortunately taken in a parking garage so the lighting isn't the best. Seems like the bolstering between seats isn't as large as I've seen before. It is a more upright posture from what I remember in the showrooms. Makes the back a bit cramped for me actually. Still the next gen seats in the front are worth every penny.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 566
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 560
Here are a couple quick pics Unfortunately taken in a parking garage so the lighting isn't the best. Seems like the bolstering between seats isn't as large as I've seen before. It is a more upright posture from what I remember in the showrooms. Makes the back a bit cramped for me actually. Still the next gen seats in the front are worth every penny.

Aren't these regular rear seats?

Please take some pictures of your back seats, so we can compare them to the older Next Gen back seats and see if there are any differences.

Aren't these regular rear seats?

They are. The reason I asked for pictures was that I suspected they may be. There has always been confusion between the version 1.5 seat and the Next Generation Seat, because of the redesigned headrest in the 1.5 seat.

The Next Generation seat has no vertical seam.

tesla-seats-4.jpg

As a recent owner of a P85D, it is amazing that there are two different sets of seats. If there is an upgrade to nex gen seats available, which I did get, they should be available for the front and the back. While I love the car, at this price level the front and back seats should match. I could of bought a S550 or 750i for the same price. There is no way the seats would not be a consistent style.

I just saw P85D in a showroom that had that next gen back seats. Yep, they look better. Maybe a bit more comfy too, but the inconsistent look of my current setup is definitely not ideal. Hopefully we can add them once they become available again....

Hello new to this forum- and sorry but I did not search every post.

I am moving over soon from a VOLT to Model S - I found a 2014 certified pre-owned S with all the options I would prefer, 7,500miles BUT it has the older seats, at a savings of $30k... I test drove the new S awd with the NextGen seats and they are much better.

Telsa rep told me the seats could not be upgraded - it is a software issue?

I don't care so much about the rear seats matching - just swap out the fronts.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I am moving over soon from a VOLT to Model S - I found a 2014 certified pre-owned S with all the options I would prefer, 7,500miles BUT it has the older seats, at a savings of $30k... I test drove the new S awd with the NextGen seats and they are much better.

Welcome to the forums!

Different people are saying different things about that.

If it was only a software issue I don't think that would really make sense, as the software should be able to be upgraded.

Some have pointed to the possibility that the wiring may be different for the Next Gen seats, in which case rewiring an older car may be so costly Tesla just doesn't offer the option, or perhaps it just isn't possible at all.

It might be worth double-checking, though, and seeing if someone can check with service for that particular car, just to make absolutely certain it can't be done.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Different people are saying different things about that.

If it was only a software issue I don't think that would really make sense, as the software should be able to be upgraded.

Some have pointed to the possibility that the wiring may be different for the Next Gen seats, in which case rewiring an older car may be so costly Tesla just doesn't offer the option, or perhaps it just isn't possible at all.

It might be worth double-checking, though, and seeing if someone can check with service for that particular car, just to make absolutely certain it can't be done.

Good luck!

There is zero reason they can't be upgraded. I was a very early P85D buyer, when you could still order NGs front and rear. But it was delivered with the older seats and a promise to upgrade them when the new ones came available. About 4-5 months later Tesla swapped them out in my driveway (both front and rear). It took all of an hour.

I am really puzzled why Tesla is shipping new Model S's with non-matching seats. The NGs are far more comfortable, both front and rear. And the rear visibility is not noticeably worse. Mostly I use the backup cam anyway.

Check this out:

Next Gen Seat Upgrade available, not a good deal. - Page 4

There is zero physical reason they can't be upgraded. I had ordered NGs with my car, but it was delivered with the older seats and a promise to upgrade them when they came available. About 4-5 months later Tesla swapped them out in my driveway (both front and rear). It took all of an hour.

I said basically the same thing you just did in another thread, when someone posed a similar question. Someone then corrected me with the bit about the wiring, suggesting that our cars were built with the correct wiring, because they were always to have the Next Gen seats, and that the wiring could be backwards compatible to the old seats. I don't know for certain that that is the correct answer, but it is at least plausible.

Here are the relevant quotes:

Many P85D owners, including me, had our cars delivered without Next Gen seats, and then had the Next Gen seats swapped in later. I watched much of it done in my garage, and there weren't electronic changes. It was a pretty quick process.

Your car was always slated to receive the next gen seat, so the old gen was a stop gap. Thus, the electronics/ harness/ software, whatever, may have all been present but just turned off. I am not saying what I was told is gospel, but it was a senior tech who has done work on my car previously and he sure knew what he was doing the first time around!

I said basically the same thing you just did in another thread, when someone posed a similar question. Someone then corrected me with the bit about the wiring, suggesting that our cars were built with the correct wiring, because they were always to have the Next Gen seats, and that the wiring could be backwards compatible to the old seats. I don't know for certain that that is the correct answer, but it is at least plausible.

Here are the relevant quotes:

Hmmm... I guess that's possible. It seems a little odd, but certainly odder things have happened!