Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that may be possible that powertools dont show correct. Have to see 1/4 times to be sure it has more power. Another possibility is that Tesla is testing if the contactors can handle more power on a few cars first and full rollout later :p

The part number on the fuse is still the same on facelift as pre facelift.

Last edited by a moderator:
this pass with a V2 car would have been a 10.8x with no spinning off the line, no question about it...

2016 Tesla Model S P90DL v2 1/4 Mile Drag Racing

28456-2016-Tesla-Model-S-Timeslip.jpg

I doubt it, the cars making more power are faster, higher traps, I would race a later production P90D L to demonstrate this, anyone in south florida with one?

I thought that too until I looked a bit closer at the Drag times listing.

The top trap speed is only about 1mph faster than George NSX 1992's 119.68 record in a P85DL.

Also his numbers at the 1/8th are very comparable to the new record 11.12 car.

In fact if you arrange the numbers in order of the 1/8 mile splits, there is not that big of a difference either.

Yes different tracks different days. But still a 50-60hp advantage I'd expect a bigger difference between those two results as I look at the splits.

But yeah, had the car running the 11.12 gotten a 1.6 or better 60ft time, it likely would have made it into the 10s.

Last edited:
Hmm. My Sept 2015 build is already down to 228 at 90% :( I messaged Tesla about this last week and they said it was within fleet norms. It started at 240 if I recall correctly. Its now lower with 13k miles than my wife's 85 with 28k miles.

I wonder if the whole P100D happened and Tesla just doesn't want to say it.
i think all these range number comparison are not apple to apple. Maybe this should belongs to another thread, but this has been discussed many times before in other threads. All these numbers depend on if you selected typical range or rated range, whether you select range mode or not etc. The range number will change quite a bit even when u switch between all these modes.

Also, I read in multiple places that all those SOC % and range numbers are purely an estimate generated by the software, and also depends whether your entire battery pack was balanced recently. There are TONS of variables going on here. I think the whole comparison of range number at whatever SOC% etc are completely pointless and inaccurate.

Reactions: St Charles
Surprising that 1 of the 20 changes per week they make to the Model S could be a change that delivers more power?

Surely they'd want to advertise that, right? Oh wait, but if they do and those cars that are making an advertised 70 hp more than before are needed in order to make 10.9s........

They would have to know that someone would easily discover that though.

And it would be very difficult if not impossible to explain/defend

I thought that too until I looked a bit closer at the Drag times listing.

The top trap speed is only about 1mph faster than George NSX 1992's 119.68 record in a P85DL.

Also his numbers at the 1/8th are very comparable to the new record 11.12 car.

Yes different tracks different days. But still a 50-60hp advantage I'd expect a bigger difference between those two results as I look at the splits.

The timeslip says it most definitely is a 10.9 or better car. two major points on that:

1. this guy has a guaranteed 0.2 just in his 60' time. I was able to pretty easily pull consistent 1.59 vs his 1.70. The saying is every tenth in the 60' us worth two tenths off the E/T

2. MPH suffers when the car spins off the line. This is literally because the car has less track to accelerate with. There are a few other factors at play with MPH but I would expect a 10.9 @ 120 MPH at a good track.

Take a look at his times and MPH and my run (#2 on the dragtimes site). Keep in mind that I ran a 11.15 @ 116 MPH, his runs are over 5mph faster. Even after spinning, he managed to almost catch up to me by the 1/8th mile and pulling away solidly through the rest of the run.

Last edited:
Reactions: benjiejr
So are you saying you had spin in both runs? Any spins would easily negate the 80 HP increase. Did you have PowerTools running during the passes? That would tell the story since it would show less than max power because of the spins.

It was the other member zhur0002 who ran the 11.128 and 11.164 passes.

However as I mentioned earlier, if you go to the record listings, and use the arrows to arrange the numbers in ranking order, they aren't that different from that which we have seen already, especially in the 1/8th mile vs the highest we have seen for at least one P85DL and some of the other P90DL cars listed.

The 1.701 60ft time on the 11.128 ET, had it been a 1.6 or better, probably would have gotten him into the 10.9s

Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

However, it is unconfirmed at this point, the highest power reading for that particular car, or perhaps he may have said, and I may have overlooked it.

updated to 2.24.30, 100% SOC and Max battery ready, 11/15 built P90DL with 1063792 pack, no increase in power, max of 452 KW

now we have a problem.... Tesla under delivered on early cars, no 10.9 capability and later P90DL (v2) cars are all good with 80 HP more... easy 10's, most likey 10.8x....
Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

The data on your website seems to suggest only 11.1 at best even for the latest P90DL by other users. Even accounting for the slow 60ft on that launch, I think the best it can do is 11 flat.

The timeslip says it most definitely is a 10.9 or better car. two major points on that:

1. this guy has a guaranteed 0.2 just in his 60' time. I was able to pretty easily pull consistent 1.59 vs his 1.70. The saying is every tenth in the 60' us worth two tenths off the E/T

2. MPH suffers when the car spins off the line. This is literally because the car has less track to accelerate with. There are a few other factors at play with MPH but I would expect a 10.9 @ 120 MPH at a good track.

No doubt that with a better 60ft time, it would have been a 10 second pass.

You mention that MPH suffers when the car spins off the line. I'd agree in general. But I've actually seen it work both ways.

I've seen more spin seemingly result in a higher trap speed and I've seen it result in a lower trap speed. Why, I don't know.

In fact, this can be demonstrated if you take a look time at the slip on the right in the image above.

It indicates more spin with the 1.764 60ft time vs the 1.701 60ft time shown on the slip on the left above.

The 1.701 got him an 1/8 mile trap speed of 97.74 mph. However the "worse" 1.764 60ft time resulted in an 1/8 mile trap speed of 98.27 mph.

You would expect it to be the other way around.

The better 1.701 60ft time, also yielded a 1/4 mile trap speed of 120.08. The "worse" 60ft time of 1.764 yielded a 1/4 mile trap speed of 121.37.

So I've seen it work both ways, and the time slips above demonstrate what I'm referring to as well.

I've also seen spin seemingly adversely affect ET more than it did trap speed. Again, the two slips above demonstrate that too.

For a 10.9 pass, I would expect to see an 1/8 mile trap speed at 99-100mph or slightly above. Of course it's possible to do so without hitting 100 mph in the 1/8. But I have yet to see one of these cars hit 100mph in the 1/8.

Last edited:
No doubt that with a better 60ft time, it would have been a 10 second pass.

You mention that MPH suffers when the car spins off the line. I'd agree in general. But I've actually seen it work both ways.

I've seen more spin seemingly result in a higher trap speed and I've seen it result in a lower trap speed. Why, I don't know.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I've seen it work both ways, and the time slips above demonstrate what I'm referring to as well.

For a 10.9 pass, I would expect to see an 1/8 mile trap speed at 99-100mph or slightly above. Of course it's possible to do so without hitting 100 mph in the 1/8. But I have yet to see one of these cars hit 100mph in the 1/8.

I broke your quote into two parts.

The nuance of MPH vs E/T is that they generally move in opposite directions. But yeah, a video of the runs would be very telling about what actually happened. The higher 60' could be that the driver was launching softer because he didn't want to spin. While it may have been slower getting to the 60' trap, he ultimately made better use of the track and ultimately a better MPH.

The other part is that these cars weakness has been in the last 1/8th mile. Most ICE cars that trap anywhere close to low 11's are trapping above 120 MPH. Whereas, our cars are hitting a power wall somewhere before the 1/8th mile after a positively heroic launch. Almost every racing video against a Model S shows the competition rapidly catching up after being blown away off the line. What I am thinking here is that the added power is manifesting later in the track and has little impact on the launch itself. What I would love to see is a full datalog off a dragstrip run, all the way to the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: benjiejr

Take a look at his times and MPH and my run (#2 on the dragtimes site). Keep in mind that I ran a 11.15 @ 116 MPH, his runs are over 5mph faster. Even after spinning, he managed to almost catch up to me by the 1/8th mile and pulling away solidly through the rest of the run.
and you have the older P90DL? the table say your car is 2016, just double checking.

Just curious, do all drag strip in US has the same slope (or perfectly flat)? I heard that the requirement is that the slope has to be less than 1 or 2% (elevation change between both ends of the strip). Variation in slope alone can explain those 0.2 or 0.3 second difference at 1/4.

Are these runs typically done with anti-spin on or off?

I have seen where NSX 1992 runs with the slip start on I believe.

Are you referring to the surface??

Typically ff it was on one of the more known or popular NHRA or IHRA drag strips, then it was probably done with VHT (a sticky compound) on part of the racing surface.

If it was a test and tune, then track prep is typically not as meticulous as it would be for say a private track rental or a competitive event.

It seems that with the slightly higher state of charge, he got a worse 60ft time than he did with the slightly lower state of charge.

Last edited:
Just curious, do all drag strip in US has the same slope (or perfectly flat)? I heard that the requirement is that the slope has to be less than 1 or 2% (elevation change between both ends of the strip). Variation in slope alone can explain those 0.2 or 0.3 second difference at 1/4.

They are supposed to be flat. I cant say for tracks that I don't frequent but what I can say is that the MPH is telling. I don't think a minor slope would make a large impact on MPH.

I have an early 2016 car. Manufacture date is February 2016. I am waiting on the update (currently 2.22.50) and looking for someone with an iPhone to help me datalog. I'm in Northern Virginia if anyone here can help me out.

i was thinking about signing up for the teslalog.com to see what my max kw were. we are both feb built cars with the same battery, yet yours is pulling 11.1 sec 1/4? your currently running 2.20.30, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.