Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer models have an LED plug on passenger side rear (Vin 40k+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the driver's side I found the connector at the charging port. Other side just beneath the carpet - you can pry it open to get it. The connectors are taped to other wires.

I checked the charging port area and just saw a an orange box with a scary "high voltage warning. Is the led in that area? all the wires i saw seem to be connected to something

I checked the charging port area and just saw a an orange box with a scary "high voltage warning. Is the led in that area? all the wires i saw seem to be connected to something

I installed an LED strip in the trunk.
Used a warm white LED from here. https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...power-led-flexible-light-strip--nfls-x3/1465/
I cut 3 of the LEDS off of one end of the 19.7 inch strip so that it fit better on the underside of the parcel shelf track.
The LED connector on the passenger side of my car was easy to find. Just pull back the liner on the right edge of the trunk, the liner that has a large rectangular cutout in it.
The LED connector was taped to another wire bundle in there. I do NOT have the premium lighting option, BTW.
I did find the LED connector on the driver's side too. MAKE SURE THAT THE CHARGE CABLE IS UNPLUGGED! There is a rectangular, removable cover on the back left liner that covers the charge port backside. When I removed that cover I took a small mirror and looked forward from the charge port. The connector was near the main orange charge cables where they enter the frame.
I could not get to the connector by just pulling back the liner as I could on the other side. I did not want to take the car apart to get at that connector so I decided to just go with a LED light strip on the passenger side only. It is very bright and works great.

FrederikC, can you tell us more about your LED installation? What LEDs did you use, did you make a harness, etc.? Thanks a lot.

I used these LED's - ordered 2 sets of 4, and got 4 working the other 4's were damaged doing transport.
Deluxe 4 x 30cm 15 LED Car Trucks Moto Grill Waterproof Light Strips 4 Colors | eBay

For wire i used 0,75 mm2 wire. Soldered it together with the LED's wires and used the below (don't know the US name for them) to take power from the harness.
Strmtyve -

About the "ambient" lightning, our danish community have done quite some testing to find out, but it needs activation from tesla, and might also require additional hardware.

I used these LED's - ordered 2 sets of 4, and got 4 working the other 4's were damaged doing transport.
Deluxe 4 x 30cm 15 LED Car Trucks Moto Grill Waterproof Light Strips 4 Colors | eBay

For wire i used 0,75 mm2 wire. Soldered it together with the LED's wires and used the below (don't know the US name for them) to take power from the harness.
Strmtyve -

About the "ambient" lightning, our danish community have done quite some testing to find out, but it needs activation from tesla, and might also require additional hardware.

Scotchlok connectors

Ok, for people like me who have never done anything like this before, I can report a success. I did not have the LED lights in my car so the only light was on the hatch.

First I found the LED connector on the passenger side. I peeled back the trunk liner against the back of the trunk and found the bundle with the connector maybe a foot above where the sill of the trunk is. The I cut the tape, carefully, holding the connector to the other wires. You can see it poking out against the black in the photo. There is actually a cutout there that I just pulled the connector through.

IMG_0650 (1280x853).jpg

Then I ordered these lights. Because I couldn't find the connector on the driver's side I ordered these 48 LEDs because I thought I might need the extra light. $9 for two of them.

Amazon.com: Cutequeen Trading 2PCS White 5050 48SMD 48-SMD LED Panel Dome Light Lamp + T10 BA9S Festoon Adapter (pack of 2): Automotive

IMG_0654 (1280x853).jpg

They came with a bunch of connectors but the one you see attached is all you need. I just plugged them into the connector from the car, black wire on black. No soldering or anything, plug and play. They turn on only when the trunk opens.

Then I peeled off the sticky back and stuck it against the plastic on the lower inside of the trunk. These are the before and after results. These little lights are blazing bright. The only thing I don't like is if you look into the trunk at the light you can see the wire and I don't know what to do about that, but i figure very few people are going to ever notice and if I sell the car I just unplug and tuck the wire away. Also the light is exposed as someone else mentioned so there may be a chance something does smash against them but they are cheap to replace. If I get brave enough I might try and pull harder on them to move the wire up to the cutout near the top side of the trunk where the light would be more out of the way. but for now I am happy.
IMG_0652 (1280x853).jpg
IMG_0653 (1280x853).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0650 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_0650 (800x533).jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 868
Just to confirm, I also have leads for the both side of the trunk. Delivery date below. Worked like a charm and I cannot believe the difference in light! Also did the Frunk and both front footwells. I would love to figure out how to have switchable ambient lighting, even if hooked to the dome switch. Probabaly a lot of work to tie into it though. The 1K price tag was just too much for me.