Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tires, losing a couple psi every few weeks - new wheels needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skipdd

Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2015
Silver Spring, MD
There has to be an answer for this somewhere on the forum, but I could not find it.

4 yr old MS 19” stock wheels. I run summer and winter tires - using the same wheels. Mileage is 68k. I notice that I drop several psi every few weeks. Just put new winter tires on in late October. Visited the tire shop about a week ago and had them add 4-6 psi to each tire. That made sense w drop in temp. Today after driving for 40 mins in 35 degree weather, I checked and they are down 2-3 psi from last week.

I have a bad back, getting better as I’m 5 weeks out from having had decompression surgery. In my case fixed the worst one but left other issues. Some humor here - doc said my back is like a jenga puzzle; take out too many pieces…. then I would require multi-level fusion. Point being, I have a while before I will be doing deep squats or bends..

SO, instead of dropping by weekly to the very nice tire shop to have air put in, would new wheels address this, or am I using a sledgehammer to put a nail in so to speak? I can probably come up with a plan B or C if this just “normal“ for the car. No reason to spend $500+ on wheels if it makes no difference.

Thanks.

Sledgehammer... new wheels is a very pricy solution to a common problem. After a few years corrosion occurs, some wheels might start losing a bit of pressure. Bring them to a tire shop and tell them you have slow leaks. They should be able to remove the tires, buff the contact area and put them back on. I presume that's all it takes.

• Love
Reactions: Skipdd
Sledgehammer... new wheels is a very pricy solution to a common problem. After a few years corrosion occurs, some wheels might start losing a bit of pressure. Bring them to a tire shop and tell them you have slow leaks. They should be able to remove the tires, buff the contact area and put them back on. I presume that's all it takes.
Thank you. That is awesome. I will swing by and discuss with the tire shop.

But, to put all the information out there. Tires lose around 1psi per 10F difference. When they were installed, the tires were probably warm, the car might have sit inside. It's normal to have to add some air a few days after, very few garages will overinflate to compensate.
If you added air and exterior temps were 50F and you are now at 30F, the tires should have "lost" 2psi. They haven't necessarily lost any air but the pressure inside is lower because of coolear air.

I'm saying that because I don't have your exact exterior temperatures for all situations. If it's just that, make them add air another time and you might be good for the winter. If you really believe you're losing air, my above suggestion still holds.

But, to put all the information out there. Tires lose around 1psi per 10F difference. When they were installed, the tires were probably warm, the car might have sit inside. It's normal to have to add some air a few days after, very few garages will overinflate to compensate.
If you added air and exterior temps were 50F and you are now at 30F, the tires should have "lost" 2psi. They haven't necessarily lost any air but the pressure inside is lower because of coolear air.

I'm saying that because I don't have your exact exterior temperatures for all situations. If it's just that, make them add air another time and you might be good for the winter. If you really believe you're losing air, my above suggestion still holds.
Definitely losing air. Temp was about the-same outside last week and today. Plus last week I had air put in after driving ~20 min vs today for 40 min and consistent high speed. Will visit tire shop one day this week to discuss your recommendation. Was originally scheduled for 2 yr maint at Tesla Service tomorrow but pushed that out to next week. Do not plan to ask them about this. Even if they would do it, price would be a lot higher. I’d rather the focus on checking batteries and such. Thanks again.

Probably not your issue, but in the past when I've had new tires put on new rims the shop didn't tighten the TPMS value thing fully on one of the wheels. Was an easy fix for them. Did you try putting soapy water all the way around the wheel to see where the issue is?