Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla app, cannot remote unlock vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
After updating to the new app, one of out Teslas (2018 Model S with MCU2) will no longer unlock remotely. Locking works fine, can unlock charge port, but unlocking the car appears to work from the app, but the car does not unlock. The app eventually updates back to the "car locked" icon, no error is shown. Tried on both Android and IOS app, same behavior. Another car on the same account (2015 Model S with MCU1) works just fine.

Is anyone else seeing that problem (I know the app is a step down, my wife commented on the update as well, but let's keep this thread on unlock functionality). Did Tesla famously forgot to test on all flavors of older cars, did my MCU2 crap out coincidentally at the same time as the app was updated, or perhaps this is a known MCU2 "feature" (I'm sure Elon could spin this as an anti-theft feature)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oceanwolf
Did you regularly unlock the vehicle with the app since upgrading the MCU or is this first time you've tried it in a while?

I remember a few people who upgraded to MCU2 had this problem immediately after upgrading the MCU. I believe the Tesla techs needed to load some security encryption keys into the new MCU or something similar to get everything working again via the app.

See Unable to unlock via phone after MCU replacement

Did you regularly unlock the vehicle with the app since upgrading the MCU or is this first time you've tried it in a while?

I remember a few people who upgraded to MCU2 had this problem immediately after upgrading the MCU. I believe the Tesla techs needed to load some security encryption keys into the new MCU or something similar to get everything working again via the app.
The car came with MCU2 from the factory, so this is not an upgrade issue. I did recently have to do a factory reset on the MCU2 as it lost all of its settings, but factory reset is not supposed to wipe out encryption keys to unlock the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The car came with MCU2 from the factory, so this is not an upgrade issue. I did recently have to do a factory reset on the MCU2 as it lost all of its settings, but factory reset is not supposed to wipe out encryption keys to unlock the vehicle.
Ah. No idea then. Yours is the first report of an issue that I've heard of on a non-upgraded MCU2. You could try submitting a software service request in the app and mention the MCU security key possibility. Hopefully they can fix it remotely.

If you try downgrading the app, are you able to unlock remotely again?

There are obviously several other issues with the new app. Some are intentional but others probably got missed in testing. I've kept one of my devices on v3 and disabled automatic updates since v4 eliminated the balanced TBC mode for my Powerwalls.

Thanks all. The car is going in for headlights replacements (both DRL faded out badly) next week, so I added "please re-provision whatever keys are needed for remote unlock" to the ticket. Hopefully they can take care of it while they have the car.

RESOLUTION: I pinged the service center via app chat on the appointment I already had for headlights replacement, they re-deployed security keys remotely, app now works.

PS> For all the pains Tesla service has, remote repair is definitely a positive feature (of course I with the MCU wouldn't have lost the keys in the first place, but at least they can fix it same day remotely).