Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much do you think the fact that the old MCU runs slow or that the browser hasn't worked since v9 rollout, affects Tesla new car sales today? Or the fact that blind spot detection using just parking sensors is completely unreliable? Or the fact that Tesla sold 85KWh batteries which were only 81KWh (77KWh usable)? Or the fact that when they sold a 691hp car and later came back with 463hp and an excuse that the car is capable, but not all of the car? Granted, some people do care, but most people don't even know about all these things. Of those who do, there are not enough of them for Elon to care.

Tim Cook is an executive who knows how to run a mature company. It's not as exciting as startups and requires a whole different set of skills, ones which Elon just doesn't have. Elon is a visionary, great at starting companies, taking huge risks which are necessary at startup stage but also lead to 9 out of 10 startups failing. Once the company matures, you don't want to take the 1 in 10 chance anymore, so you should take less risks, and build the company to last. Investors often remove founders from their companies after they reach a certain stage, and install a whole different leadership to run a mature company.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, I have been through a few acquisitions and each time the founder was marginalised after the purchase often times for the better. Like it or not, Tesla should now be mature enough and given the number of units they are shifting thanks to the Model 3 they really need to have an executive with more experience. I love Elon, and i in know way think he should be marginalised but he cant keep taking on roles like he has done with FSD only recently. Let him be chief innovation officer or something along those lines but in order to resolve some of Tesla's issues they need a season hand at the helm.

View attachment 409357

And no, this is not a new screen border feature matching the car's creme interior.
I (touch wood) don’t have this issue on my S, though this looks like a manufacturing issue and Tesla could get the manufacturer to offset costs.

If correct, ie verified by Fremont, that Tesla deem the yellow border fault is not a warranty issue anymore then I would suggest owners of newer cars look into local Lemon laws and help (re)educate their local service centers on consumer rights. Perhaps a filing to local AG. This is not acceptable behavior and sets an intolerable precedence for accepting faults as features.
I’m positive on Tesla, and a shareholder, though dismissing all issues equally is naive and will damage the reputation of Tesla through word of mouth faster than positivity. The whole “there’s no alternative” does not make something right, that sounds more like the justification of a dictator ;-)

I agree with this wholeheartedly, I have been through a few acquisitions and each time the founder was marginalised after the purchase often times for the better. Like it or not, Tesla should now be mature enough and given the number of units they are shifting thanks to the Model 3 they really need to have an executive with more experience. I love Elon, and i in know way think he should be marginalised but he cant keep taking on roles like he has done with FSD only recently. Let him be chief innovation officer or something along those lines but in order to resolve some of Tesla's issues they need a season hand at the helm.
Let him go focus on SpaceX, which is not a consumer product and is amazingly well suited to continuous improvements, since you only build a few of the products, so even if you have to retrofit, way easier than 100's of thousands of vehicles.

And dump all over the long time users. I'll take Musk over Cook any day. All Cook is good at is milking the company, zero vision, zero caring about long time users.
Your preference for a guy who who would tell you that a $100K car screen yellowing is normal after a year of usage, rather than have the company fix or replace the product, is a totally valid preference. I don't share this preference with you, but I guess that is what makes the world an interesting price, different people prefer different things.

Your preference for a guy who who would tell you that a $100K car screen yellowing is normal after a year of usage, rather than have the company fix or replace the product, is a totally valid preference. I don't share this preference with you, but I guess that is what makes the world an interesting price, different people prefer different things.
I'd wait till the final say. Right now they don't appear to have an actual fix so the stories told are contradictory. Tesla has always been good about fixing issues. I don't expect this to be any different in the long run.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If you've been an owner since the beginning you have seen other stories like this before, whitex mentioned a few, and this one is unfolding much like all of the previous ones. You can get their attention but it takes more than this board to do it and as someone else mentioned, if your car is new enough, your local lemon law is a very easy place to start. My MCU was replaced right before I drove out of warranty for a different issue (thank you Dania Beach Service Center). Tesla certainly should replace all of the MCUs with the yellow boarder issue.

And dump all over the long time users. I'll take Musk over Cook any day. All Cook is good at is milking the company, zero vision, zero caring about long time users.
Jerry, I don't personally use any Apple products but we have many of them in our household (teenagers!), one thing they are amazingly good at is looking after people when a product is in warranty. You pay that premium price not because their products are actually better (because in some cases they aren't), but built in to that price is the risk they take that lets say your camera fails after 8 months they just give you a new phone.
That keeps customers for life, what Tesla is doing with this yellow screen issue is the complete opposite and will drive people away from the brand.

I (touch wood) don’t have this issue on my S, though this looks like a manufacturing issue and Tesla could get the manufacturer to offset costs.
In our case it came on overnight. One day all is well (I had mobile service for my car last week, asked him to drive my wife's car to confirm the rotor problem and tell me whether I should schedule an mobile or in-shop service), then Saturday morning, yellow all around. So, I guess what I'm trying to tell you, don't bother squinting to look for this, when it comes, you will know right away.

hough this looks like a manufacturing issue and Tesla could get the manufacturer to offset costs.
Not if Tesla is using the part out of spec, i.e. if these are not automotive grade parts, which according to this story is the case. This looks like another one of Elon's risk takings, which backfired. Those risks are justified for a startup, and cost of fixing is low when your production is low, but once you go mass market, such risks become very expensive if they don't work out (and statistically, if you take many risks, some will backfire).

If correct, ie verified by Fremont, that Tesla deem the yellow border fault is not a warranty issue anymore then I would suggest owners of newer cars look into local Lemon laws and help (re)educate their local service centers on consumer rights. Perhaps a filing to local AG. This is not acceptable behavior and sets an intolerable precedence for accepting faults as features.
I’m positive on Tesla, and a shareholder, though dismissing all issues equally is naive and will damage the reputation of Tesla through word of mouth faster than positivity. The whole “there’s no alternative” does not make something right, that sounds more like the justification of a dictator ;-)
I am still staying positive, assuming Tesla will take care of this. In my experience, if corporate will let them, service will take care of it - Tesla service has always been amazing in my experience, only limited by what Tesla corporate will let them do (no loaners, flawed design parts, broken parts, lack or parts, telling them "software will fix it one day", etc). On the other hand, if I am told that Tesla made an Elon decision to stick their heads in the sand and pretend this is not a problem, this might just be the straw which will break the camel's back. Over the years I've decided the *sugar* like the P85D spec lies (hp, battery size, BSM, summon) was not worth to pursue, but in those cases the car still drives and I enjoy it (be is less since v9 rollout). This however this might just be trigger, and yes, Lemon Law would be the first avenue to pursue.

Just looked at the specs page, not even close. Estimating EPA range of 200, will probably come in under that and be a total dud like the e-tron. Audi worked on their car for 10+ years now? How long for Merc? It's not like these are even good comparisons for reliability. I've successfully avoided Audi's that were getting $7000 repair bills immediately after warranty ended.

But anyway whatever floats your boat, man. Could just buy a Bolt.
Maximum mileage isn't the be all end all for EV's, at least not for everyone which is why Chevy can successfully sell the Bolt ;)
Yes the Euro's have some nasty out of warranty repair bills, but it's not like you can sit there and say Tesla is any better in this regard and in fact with this yellow screen fiasco some people are saying they are being asked to pay for something that is still in warranty.

The thing is even if a new E-Tron or EQC, iPace get less mileage per charge compared to a Model-X (probably have similar buyers) for me that would not change my purchase decision because I just don't do the mileage per day for that to be an issue.
The Euro EV's aren't quite as scary for people to transition to as a Tesla, they still have buttons inside for starters, the companies are a known quantity who typically build cars very well (something that is very hit and miss for Tesla....still!)
And more importantly for consumer confidence the Euro's don't have an erratic CEO one day saying they can't build enough cars to meet demand to the next day saying we might be broke in 10 months.
If after all that people still go with a Tesla because they get an extra 50 miles per charge, well ok, go for it.

Reactions: tpnicho and whitex
I'd wait till the final say. Right now they don't appear to have an actual fix so the stories told are contradictory. Tesla has always been good about fixing issues. I don't expect this to be any different in the long run.
Well, I'm going to the SC with this problem this week, will get the official response and go from there. And yes, SC is the official representative of Tesla, so unless Elon gives me his cell phone number to call, that is what I assume is the official Tesla position (what SC will tell me, not what I read here). My P85D is still missing over 200hp, my battery is still missing about 4KWh, my BSM doesn't really work at highway speeds, and my browser still doesn't work since v9. All these issues are fixed on brand new cars, but not on my car - in my experience, so that is how Elon "fixes" things - fix things which affect new car sales first, unless the software fix for new cars happens to fix the old cars too, just ignore it and hope it goes away. Why else would they not bother fixing even a simple thing like the polling for traffic every 120ms instead of every 2 minutes (1000 times slower) for MCU1 - it was reported to Tesla a while back, yet it's priority to fix is way low, because it doesn't affect new cars.

How much do you think the fact that the old MCU runs slow or that the browser hasn't worked since v9 rollout, affects Tesla new car sales today? Or the fact that blind spot detection using just parking sensors is completely unreliable? Or the fact that Tesla sold 85KWh batteries which were only 81KWh (77KWh usable)? Or the fact that when they sold a 691hp car and later came back with 463hp and an excuse that the car is capable, but not all of the car? Granted, some people do care, but most people don't even know about all these things. Of those who do, there are not enough of them for Elon to care.

Tim Cook is an executive who knows how to run a mature company. It's not as exciting as startups and requires a whole different set of skills, ones which Elon just doesn't have. Elon is a visionary, great at starting companies, taking huge risks which are necessary at startup stage but also lead to 9 out of 10 startups failing. Once the company matures, you don't want to take the 1 in 10 chance anymore, so you should take less risks, and build the company to last. Investors often remove founders from their companies after they reach a certain stage, and install a whole different leadership to run a mature company.

We obviously agree about Tim Cook and Elon vis-a-vis a company’s lifecycle. As for the 1st point you may be right, but as a company grows, especially one that depends so much on word of mouth, the “vibe” of its current base, it takes on greater risk if that vibe starts to turn negative. Just as others noted, when I’m asked now by people I meet about how I like my Tesla, I temper my enthusiasm with some cautions. And when someone I know is seriously considering a purchase I make sure they know the puts and takes. So we will see. Regardless of how it goes I’ve already decided what I am going to do.

If after all that people still go with a Tesla because they get an extra 50 miles per charge, well ok, go for it.

Or just buy a Leaf? The new P100D/100D are cars where a gasoline replacement has finally been achieved, at 345-370 miles range. You can actually do a day trip skiing having only needed to stop for 10-20 minutes of charging. This was more like 1.5 hours of charging in my P90D, on top of 5-6 hours of driving at 6 hours of skiing. Cross country travel in fair weather is also presently quite painful ratio of drive to charge time. Another 100 miles and double the charging speed is closer to perfect.

A 200 mile German SUV is a waste of time. But like I said, whatever floats your boat. For me Tesla still has monopoly power.

Or just buy a Leaf? The new P100D/100D are cars where a gasoline replacement has finally been achieved, at 345-370 miles range. You can actually do a day trip skiing having only needed to stop for 10-20 minutes of charging. This was more like 1.5 hours of charging in my P90D, on top of 5-6 hours of driving at 6 hours of skiing. Cross country travel in fair weather is also presently quite painful ratio of drive to charge time. Another 100 miles and double the charging speed is closer to perfect.

A 200 mile German SUV is a waste of time. But like I said, whatever floats your boat. For me Tesla still has monopoly power.
You realize that most people don't need 345-370 miles of range, and that there are people for whom even that is not enough to replace gasoline, right? People (myself included) were happy driving S60's around back when Tesla started, and that was when there was less superchargers. I've taken my P85D across coast-to-coast and back, no problems with range, even though the effective range was 200 miles (or less, in states with higher speed limits). If you are going to drive 12 hrs a day marathon trips, ICE will get you there faster than a 100D, but how many people do that? My wife has been driving S75D for over 2 years now, the first year she put 26K miles on it, she charges to 90% (225 miles), she doesn't charge the car in the middle of the day because she doesn't want to go unplug it when leaving to run errands through the day. Occasionally she does a 120+ miles in the morning, then she does plug in mid day before shuttling the kids around, and yet, but she's never used a charger outside of the house or had the range fall under 50 miles (which happened only a handful of times, usually 80-100 is the low end of the day). Oh, and she does have free supercharging, with one 10 mins away from the house, yet still, she sees no need to ever go there.

Bottom line is, vast majority of people don't need over 200 mile range for their daily drives, so they will be just fine with 200 miles to go every morning. For long distance driving it will depend where you drive, but I bet you can find destinations where even 370 mile Tesla will be at a great disadvantage to an ICE car.

So.... has there actually been any word on this since those of us who talked to service and were told there’s a tool they’re testing out that they expect to fix the issue? If not, it seems more than a little strange for everyone to be complaining so much about Tesla supposedly doing nothing to fix it.

Ok YOU might need the range but guess what, not everyone does, what's so hard to comprehend about that before you make a blanket call on a 200mile range being a waste of time?

You realize that most people don't need 345-370 miles of range, and that there are people for whom even that is not enough to replace gasoline, right? People (myself included) were happy driving S60's around back when Tesla started, and that was when there was less superchargers. I've taken my P85D across coast-to-coast and back, no problems with range, even though the effective range was 200 miles (or less, in states with higher speed limits). If you are going to drive 12 hrs a day marathon trips, ICE will get you there faster than a 100D, but how many people do that? My wife has been driving S75D for over 2 years now, the first year she put 26K miles on it, she charges to 90% (225 miles), she doesn't charge the car in the middle of the day because she doesn't want to go unplug it when leaving to run errands through the day. Occasionally she does a 120+ miles in the morning, then she does plug in mid day before shuttling the kids around, and yet, but she's never used a charger outside of the house or had the range fall under 50 miles (which happened only a handful of times, usually 80-100 is the low end of the day). Oh, and she does have free supercharging, with one 10 mins away from the house, yet still, she sees no need to ever go there.

Bottom line is, vast majority of people don't need over 200 mile range for their daily drives, so they will be just fine with 200 miles to go every morning. For long distance driving it will depend where you drive, but I bet you can find destinations where even 370 mile Tesla will be at a great disadvantage to an ICE car.

I don't know what part about "whatever floats your boat" isn't clear. The point remains, Tesla acts like the Comcast of cars because they have effective monopoly power. How long that will last, I don't know, but your early adopter justifications don't make a difference. It's not over yet, clearly. Range will have to get to 400+ miles anywhere $30k and up if you want to get to something like 90% yearly adoption rate of EV's. At that point will any of this matter or we'll get a BP style "We're sorry" and move on, I also don't know.