Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster owner, but not new to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats @ecarfan! Fantastic story.
As a matter of fact, I am contemplating the same. Got our S85 in May and we're totally hooked!
We'll be replacing our 2nd car in the next couple months, and I've really wanted to get a 911 convertible. Went for a test drive with my wife, and she came back completely underwhelmed ("Lame. Drives like a truck..."). Story to be continued...

The best way to sell somebody a Roadster is have them take a test drive in a late model 911.

I haven't owned a 911 since 1985 so don't know the current cars. My last Porsche was a Cayman, which I sold to buy the Roadster. Although both are mid engine, they are of course very different vehicles in many ways. I'm very happy with my Roadster even though it lacks some of the luxury features of the Cayman, has a much smaller trunk (the Cayman has a big frunk), and is far harder to get in and out of! ;-)

Last edited:
So I'm trying to figure out what factory options are on my Roadster, which is #425 (that is the last three digits of the VIN). Among the papers that came with the car are what I had assumed was the original "window sticker", shown below. Looking it over I noticed that under "Selected Options", none are shown, there is a price of "$0" for each one. However, the car came to me with floor mats with "Tesla" embroidered into them, and I got the High Power Connector, the 70A Clipper Creek unit. It also has the factory Paint Armor protection (at least I think it is factory). I do not know how to determine if the car has the "Electronic Group" option, but I have verified it has Bluetooth because I paired my iPhone with the car today.

I thought it was odd that the car appears to have some options even though the window sticker indicates it has no options. Then today I noticed that the VIN on the window sticker does not match the VIN shown on the car! The car is definitely #425 but the window sticker document shows #427. So this window sticker is not for my car! I have no idea where it came from or why it was given to me with the car. I have removed the name shown at the top center below the "This vehicle was custom made for" line to protect that person's privacy but as far as I know the name shown does not match with the name of the owner before me. Kind of a mystery...

Bizarre / sloppy that someone would mix up window stickers like that.
In any case, I think this is/was #427:
427.jpg

Bizarre / sloppy that someone would mix up window stickers like that.
In any case, I think this is/was #427:

TEG, thanks for your post. Yes it is quite bizarre, particularly because my Roadster was a trade in to a BMW dealer and it isn't as if that dealer had multiple Roadsters sitting around and got their window stickers mixed up. That sticker likely came from the previous owner of my Roadster, but why would he have had it when it was not for his car?

I would be glad to send the window sticker for #427 to the owner of that car.

More interestingly, I remain confused as to why the window sticker under "Standard Exterior Features" lists "Home-based charging system with integral safety features for full re-charge in about 3.5 hours". That clearly refers to the HPC, which I understand was an option. The UMC and SMC cannot recharge the car in 3.5 hours, only the HPC can do that.

But then under Selected Options" is shown "High Power Connector", which is the HPC.

So why is the HPC listed as both "Standard" and an "Option" in that document?

TEG, thanks for your post. Yes it is quite bizarre, particularly because my Roadster was a trade in to a BMW dealer and it isn't as if that dealer had multiple Roadsters sitting around and got their window stickers mixed up. That sticker likely came from the previous owner of my Roadster, but why would he have had it when it was not for his car?

More interestingly, I remain confused as to why the window sticker
Maybe he had two roadsters and mixed them up. I bought one from someone who had more than one

On those stickers, as I recall, all the option items are shown as 0, but them being listed indicates they are installed. At least that's the way I read mine. I don't remember the explanation given when I took delivery but know I double checked everything and it was all documented. Your VIN difference is troublesome, but the options section looks fine.

Edit: your pic doesn't show the forged wheels I'd expect from the options section. I don't recall if the Orange paint was an up charge from base solid color. Don't think it was? So that looks right. Did you get a carbon top? Would have to say that yeah, that's not the sheet for your tesla. Luckily it's the car you want even if it isn't the sheet you want. I'd expect tesla could get you the build info you are looking for.

Edit: your pic doesn't show the forged wheels I'd expect from the options section...

Yes, it looks like #425 (Orange) has the base (cast) wheels, and the pic I found of #427 shows the (optional at that time) forged wheels.
So, I suspect the sticker was for car #427, and Roadster #425 has slightly different options.

Hopefully whoever first bought #425 didn't pay too much for it based on the wrong window sticker!

- - - Updated - - -

More interestingly, I remain confused as to why the window sticker under "Standard Exterior Features" lists "Home-based charging system with integral safety features for full re-charge in about 3.5 hours". That clearly refers to the HPC, which I understand was an option. The UMC and SMC cannot recharge the car in 3.5 hours, only the HPC can do that.
But then under Selected Options" is shown "High Power Connector", which is the HPC.
So why is the HPC listed as both "Standard" and an "Option" in that document?

Over time options changed, and pricing of options changed. It may be why they stopped showing prices since they could have been in flux.
They might have been getting ready to make the HPC optional, but it was still considered standard equipment at that time.

Here was on old list of all the possible options at one point in 2008:

• Premium leather seats available in nine colors with embroidered Tesla Motors logo
  • Microfiber, non-leather seats in black
  • Bluetooth cellular phone integration
  • Satellite radio with 170 channels of digital sound
  • Seven-speaker premium sound system tuned for Tesla Roadster cockpit
  • Touch-screen navigation system with voice guidance
  • Matching body-colored carbon fiber hardtop with full headliner
  • Metallic and premium paint
  • Tesla Motors custom floor mats
  • Mobile charging system

I think Very Orange was an upcharge premium paint option.

roadster-colors2.jpg

On those stickers, as I recall, all the option items are shown as 0, but them being listed indicates they are installed. At least that's the way I read mine. I don't remember the explanation given when I took delivery but know I double checked everything and it was all documented. Your VIN difference is troublesome, but the options section looks fine.

Edit: your pic doesn't show the forged wheels I'd expect from the options section. I don't recall if the Orange paint was an up charge from base solid color. Don't think it was? So that looks right. Did you get a carbon top? Would have to say that yeah, that's not the sheet for your tesla. Luckily it's the car you want even if it isn't the sheet you want. I'd expect tesla could get you the build info you are looking for.
It's a Chinese knock off, not a real tesla

After a week of charging at 110V/12A (painfully slow!) my electrician installed the HPC that came with the car. It's pure luxury to be charging at 70A! Almost as fast as my Model S HPWC at 80A. It is interesting how much thicker the Roadster HPC cable is compared to the Model S HPWC cable which delivers slightly more amperage. The Roadster HPC cable is massive, and heavy!

Roadster HPC.JPG

Roadster charging.JPG

After a week of charging at 110V/12A (painfully slow!) my electrician installed the HPC that came with the car. It's pure luxury to be charging at 70A! Almost as fast as my Model S HPWC at 80A. It is interesting how much thicker the Roadster HPC cable is compared to the Model S HPWC cable which delivers slightly more amperage. The Roadster HPC cable is massive, and heavy!

View attachment 61761

View attachment 61762
Agree. As thick as a gas hose. Could it be aluminum versus copper?

Actually, on a per-mile basis the Roadster charges much faster at 70A than the Model S does at 80A. That's because the Roadster has about 2/3 the power consumption of the Model S, by virtue of being a lot smaller and lighter. (Smaller being the most important aspect; although the drag coefficient is higher, simply having a much smaller profile means much less aerodynamic drag).

Agree. As thick as a gas hose. Could it be aluminum versus copper?

It's copper. The Roadster cable is a conservative design. The Model S cable is pushing the limits of what is possible.

After a week of charging at 110V/12A (painfully slow!) my electrician installed the HPC that came with the car. It's pure luxury to be charging at 70A! Almost as fast as my Model S HPWC at 80A.
Actually much faster than your MS if measuring miles-per-hour of charging. If you're making a road trip without superchargers and you have to wait for charging, the Roadster is much better.

It is interesting how much thicker the Roadster HPC cable is compared to the Model S HPWC cable which delivers slightly more amperage. The Roadster HPC cable is massive, and heavy!
And much more reliable. And doesn't heat up and waste energy like the MS HPWC does.

Tesla improved many things with the Model S. The chargers were not one of them, unless your criteria is weight. Actually I like the MS connector except for the cheap contacts.

According to Charging | Tesla Motors the Roadster HOC charges at a rate of "56 miles of range at peak power". And at Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors it says that the Model as HPWC charges at a maximum rate of 58 miles of range per hour.

So I was just saying that the Model S charges slightly faster than the Roadster at home (excluding Supercharger DC charging). I do take your point that the Roadster uses less energy per mile than the Model S.

According to Charging | Tesla Motors the Roadster HOC charges at a rate of "56 miles of range at peak power". And at Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors it says that the Model as HPWC charges at a maximum rate of 58 miles of range per hour.

So I was just saying that the Model S charges slightly faster than the Roadster at home (excluding Supercharger DC charging). I do take your point that the Roadster uses less energy per mile than the Model S.

Based on my own direct experience charging both cars at the same location, the Roadster will add more miles per hour while charging at 70A than the Model S at 80A. The only exception might be when the Roadster requires a lot of A/C to cool the battery. You have both cars and can easily perform the test. Make sure the Roadster SOC is low enough that it doesn't start to taper off during the time period of your test, and that the battery is not very warm. I don't know why Tesla's web site has different specs. On Friday I charged my Roadster at a friend's house at 70A and added 17 mi in the first 15 minutes.

Maybe one of those cases where YMMV.

So after 5 weeks of ownership I am loving this car! It is such a contrast to my Model S. Interestingly, my perception is that the Roadster regen braking is stronger than the Model S, or maybe because the Roadster weighs so much less the regen is more effective at slowing the car down. I love the direct "no assist" steering. And I love the mind-blowing acceleration.

I don't like driving the car in range mode because of the power limiting. However, one of the locations I sometimes work at is a 146 mile roundtrip from my house. To try to do that on a standard charge is iffy, and I don't want to drive 60mph or less on the freeway. I discovered that the San Rafael Service Center has a Roadster HPC that is available 24/7, and it is directly on the route I take to that work location in Santa Rosa. So that really helps!

I have range charged the car about three times since owning it. Before I bought it from the BMW dealer in Sarasota Florida, Nigel Mould had the dealer start a range charge and he sent me a photo showing the car ended charging with 241 miles of Ideal Range, and the log showed the CAC as 154. But since owning the car my range charges never get over 121 Ideal Miles

I'm concerned that I can't get the car to range charge to a higher mileage figure. Over the past month I've driven the car almost one thousand miles, always plug it in to my HPC (240V / 70A) every night and have standard charged it many times. When I first got the car, for a week before my electrician hooked up the HPC, I was charging it 24/7 on the SMC (don't have a UMC) and the charge rate was so slow that I could never get it to fully range charge.

About an hour before downloading my most recent log file today, the car completed a range charge (I've only done a range charge three times). The charge stopped on its own (I did not stop it) with the Ideal Miles shown as 214 and the Rated Miles show as 170. That is the most miles I have been able to get it to display after a range charge since I got it. I've range charged it about three times.

Here is what is shown in my latest log file:

Barrys-Air-2:~ barrybrisco$ /Applications/VMSParser /Volumes/DISK_IMG/VehicleLogs/5YJRE11B781000425/201411102000/vms_log
Analyze: /Volumes/DISK_IMG/VehicleLogs/5YJRE11B781000425/201411102000/vms_log

V1.5 Roadster VIN 5YJRE11B781000425

Transient Log Summary

(then a long table of driving and charging data and then this at the end of the table)

11/10/2014 07:43:58 - 11/10/2014 09:06:31 (01:22:33) Charge 84% -> 93% 239V 56A of 56A 8.0 kWh 14.4 Ah 0.1 Ah

/Volumes/DISK_IMG/VehicleLogs/5YJRE11B781000425/201411102000/vms_log Transient section: odometer: 11525.0 to 13006.0 (1481.0 mi), 52.8 hours of driving, 304.5 hours of charging, over 221.9 days

Approximate CAC: 143.40 Ah as of 11/10/2014 09:07:08

Okay thanks, I just did that. Most of the output doesn't mean anything to me, but there is one part I think I partially understand. The columns of data with these headers:

timestamp, brickahmin, brickahave, bricknumber

Is that data the "history" of the CAC that you referred to? Is the "bricknumber" the number of the brick in the battery with the lowest ("limiting") charge?

It starts out on the day the car was built, 04/25/2009, at 156.77, when I received the car in California in early October of this year it was 151.41, and over the past three weeks it has declined to 143.89. That is a concern.

This past June, before I bought the car, Tesla Service in Sarasota FL replaced the battery with a refurbished unit and there is a one year warranty on the battery from that time.