Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New production (late 2014) new TPMS sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick data point for all.

FWIW, our Sep 2014 Production MS was NOT able to read the sensors from a spare set of wheels with V1 TPMS installed. This confused the heck out of our service center as I guess Tesla keeps a lot of secrets?

This MS was one of the last NON-sensor equipped MS's so I'd guess the change occurred before September, 2014, and that the TPMS change was on its own timeline, unrelated to the Dual motor changes . . . .

My September 2014 had Continental sensors, I remember seeing them. It was also a car that just barely missed the Autopilot sensors. So I believe but can't prove it has the new TMPS since I no longer have the car.

ProjectMM, neither the original sensors nor the current sensors indicate the psi of each tire on the car's display. There is talk that the new sensors will tell you which tire is low on air, but they do not tell you what the actual pressure is.

It appears that the actual pressure is able to be determined by both the original sensors and the current sensors, as that information is displayable to the service people via a service menu. But for some reason, Tesla has chosen not to make that info available to the driver.

The old sensor are on VIN < P50900 < and new sensors on > P50900 ?

You can't make conclusions like this. Tesla doesn't build things in VIN order. For instance my September 2014 car was VIN 56107 without Autopilot hardware, but I've personally seen cars with VINs in the 55k range that had Autopilot hardware. If this really was introduced around September things were really messed up as far as ordering because of the factory shutdown. I remember getting my car while someone with an order with a VIN around 48k was still waiting (not even in production). So presumably that 48k VIN car got the newer TMPS sensors if my car made before theirs did.

The only thing you might be able to say is "All VINs > Y have the new sensors, All VINs < X don't and some cars < Y and > X might have them." Which given the range of VINs in production at a given time would probably leave a pretty large gap between X and Y.

Build date is the only possible way of knowing for sure and Tesla only exposes that on the car as month/year. It's not clear that the dashboard dates are exact. So it's very likely impossible for anyone other than Tesla to say for sure what cars do or don't have them other than looking for the physically different parts.

So can any one confirm that an older VIN (early 2013) vehicle can use the newer sensors and get the vehicle to show the PSI in each tire. Thanks

Not only do I think no one is going to be able to confirm that because it's not going to be possible in the older cars, but as of now, that's not possible in the newest cars.

As of now, the best we've seen is that in the P85Ds, people have gotten a low pressure warning specific to a certain tire, but even then we're not getting specific air pressure readings in any tire.

Edit: Somehow missed swegman's post which said basically the same thing before posting.

You can't make conclusions like this. Tesla doesn't build things in VIN order. For instance my September 2014 car was VIN 56107 without Autopilot hardware, but I've personally seen cars with VINs in the 55k range that had Autopilot hardware. If this really was introduced around September things were really messed up as far as ordering because of the factory shutdown. I remember getting my car while someone with an order with a VIN around 48k was still waiting (not even in production). So presumably that 48k VIN car got the newer TMPS sensors if my car made before theirs did.

The only thing you might be able to say is "All VINs > Y have the new sensors, All VINs < X don't and some cars < Y and > X might have them." Which given the range of VINs in production at a given time would probably leave a pretty large gap between X and Y.

Build date is the only possible way of knowing for sure and Tesla only exposes that on the car as month/year. It's not clear that the dashboard dates are exact. So it's very likely impossible for anyone other than Tesla to say for sure what cars do or don't have them other than looking for the physically different parts.

Im not sure, but Tesla lists the 21" wheel package that include the sensors with two different options. I think the sensors are the only difference, offset ++ should be the same.

Untitled.jpg