Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS sensor battery failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
Hi folks,

It looks like my front-right tire's TPMS battery has died. The TPMS system is showing the 3 other tires just fine, but this one reads zero for both pressure and temp. So (for a change), it's not the car's "antenna" that failed. I presume the tire needs to be de-mounted and a new sensor installed. The tires were purchased and mounted by a local tire store (Les Schwab, after a meeting of the minds regarding proper jacking of the car), so I expect they'd be able to mechanically do the swap.

My questions:

1. The car is a 2.0 model. Is this something "any" tire store can replace, or does Tesla need to wave a magic wand over the car in order to have it learn the new sensor's MAC address? I do have an OVMS module, but I don't have the version (cable, more specifically) that can access the K-line interface for reprogramming. Will the car otherwise learn the new address on its own?

2. Are the actual sensors available somewhere that a "regular" tire store would be able to source them, or do I need to meet someone in a back alley to get one? What specific model does one need to get?

Thanks!

How do I find the ID on the bad one? Is it stamped on the unit somewhere (i.e. have the tire shop write it down when swapping units)? I don't "do" tires myself...

Can the tire shop do the cloning?

Stopped by Les Schwab this afternoon, and caught them at a good time; not too busy. We took a scanner out to the car, and were able to read three of the four tires, but that last one could not be seen. At least I have a record of the others.

The technician did some research, and I'm a little puzzled as to the options. He found a reference for the 1.5 car sensors (mine is a 2.0). Next line down was "All Baolong", which I presume should cover mine. Problem is that the referenced part number couldn't be brought up. Unobtanium; guess I'm not surprised.

The scanner instrument has a "help" system built in, and it talks about how to link up a new set of sensors to the car. Go to the Tire Pressure Monitor screen (words to that effect). Choose tire size (19 or 21), and drive for a bit. Tire size choices don't make sense, and I thought that the Roadsters needed to have Tesla Service do the programming, no? Guessing they're referring to the early M-S. {sigh}

They do have some programmable sensors available (see below), but the tech believes that the programming only involves setting the frequency (333 / 433), not the IDs, and depends on the car to learn what they are. So, even if we look at the physical sensor to get its ID, there's no way to clone that into the new one. And of course I'd do all 4 at the same time.

TPMS Sensor front.jpg TPMS Sensor back.jpg

Do I need to go elsewhere, or is this a Tesla thing? Or, should I upgrade my OVMSv3 with the new cable in order to tell the car what's where? Is there a different manufacturer of programmable TPMS sensors that can set their ID?

Some universal sensors are only adapable to the type of vehicle, the actual programmable ones you can set the ID, so you can swap them without a relearn. You can order them online, but you need that fouth ID#. See if you can find someone else local. Tesla will just sell you new sensors and then reprogram the car to match $$$.

Some universal sensors are only adapable to the type of vehicle, the actual programmable ones you can set the ID, so you can swap them without a relearn. You can order them online, but you need that fouth ID#. See if you can find someone else local. Tesla will just sell you new sensors and then reprogram the car to match $$$.
That's kind of what I thought. There's one other tire store near here, an independent, that I can check with. See what they have.

But assuming they can't do better, is there any particular brand or type of sensor that I need to get in order for it to be compatible with the car? Are they "all the same", save for which frequency band it's on, and what the ID is? For example, I see these: Amazon.com on Amazon. Will "any" tire shop be able to do the programming for them, and will the car see them afterward? Given that I can't program the dead one before taking the tire off (need the ID), I want to get everything sorted first.

I don't really have a "need" to upgrade my OVMSv3 system, since I don't wrestle with multiple tire sets (winter / summer). This should be a one-time deal, but I suppose that's the backup plan.

I doubt you will find someone to program sensors that you buy elsewhere. All the brands of sensors have their own programming tool. The universal sensors have to be configured first to the car type, and then only some of them can be reprogrammed with a new ID. There was someone on EBay that would sell units programmed with your supplied ID #s. You can just break loose the bead of the tire to read the ID off the sensor without removing the tire (and replace the sensor as well), but you will have to determine if it is worth the hassle. Maybe see what Tesla charges to replace them or at least reprogram to match new ID's.

Just a thought... This would be too easy, but by any chance are the sensor IDs stored somewhere in the log file? The car must know what ID it's looking for (and didn't find), so a message "TPMS sensor xxx:xxx not found" would be a natural thing to log.

Hi @gregd ,

These are what I have used on my car and for a few members here:

I was obsessed with the TPMS years ago…

Your best option would be to upgrade your OVMS 3 to the new cable and K- line option.
That way you are “future proofed”

In answer to your earlier question about reading the existing values from the car: It is possible but it requires a LIN reader device .

I used a Microchip APGDT0001.

I have another tool you could use to read and
Write the values if you wished but I would need to ship it to you from Michigan after October 20.

Please figure out what you want to do, I can help.

Shawn

Last edited:
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the info, but the Amazon link doesn't appear to include the product info. Could you edit that?

I recall your TPMS adventure thread. Thanks for the work you put into it. We all benefited from it.

Greg

An update... Checked with several tire stores about programming Shawn's recommended sensors. Nope; the shops only have equipment to program the ones they sell. No go there. Two shops show the "OEM" Baolong sensor for the 2010 Roadster, and give instructions for how to tell the car how to do the learning, but the instructions appear to be for an early Model-S. Somebody didn't do their homework. Strike two.

The third store, an independent, has some Autel sensors that they can program for both the frequency and clone the old sensor IDs. Presuming (hoping) the dead sensor has its ID listed on the sensor body, that theoretically should work.

Autel TPMS sensor.jpg

Has anyone had experience with these specific Autel sensors in the Roadster? I've heard that the frequency-programmable ones tend to be trouble.