Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new potential X owner(shudder)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A test drive will reveal the extent to which the particular car you're looking at has the issue.

Do you intend to accelerate hard, I mean really hard, frequently? Especially going from 20 to 50 mph?

If that is a normal driving use case scenario for you, maybe the X is not great.

If it's something that doesn't come up that often, maybe just get used to the idea that it will shudder a bit and you'll probably be able to live with it fine like most of the rest of us around here.

You can mitigate the issue somewhat by always keeping the suspension in 'low' (and just burning through tires much more frequently as a result). Or you can set aside a couple thousand bucks for an experienced alignment shop to install aftermarket camber and toe arms that will allow you to "have your cake and eat it too" - precise alignment in "low" suspension height without undue tire wear.

Shudder is real but it's not the central experience of owning an X- if you really want the car, just go for it.

I am starting to get it and it really pi$#@ me off. How about fixing this obvious design flaw instead of working on 1/2 a steering wheel? Maybe it isn't fixable as the angle of the shafts is too great for the power available. Still annoying on a $100k car.

I should be happy, I always default to Low and my tires are all wearing flat at 15k miles, so atleast I won't have inside tire wear to deal with. It is real. I will have the shafts replaced before 10k and then again right before the warantee is up at 50k. Pain cus service is 3.5 hours away.