Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owners -- Be Sure to Opt Out of Arbitration within 30 Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
Be sure not to let Tesla take away your rights. A Class action over Full Self Driving was dismissed because all but one of the claimants did not reject arbitration for their Tesla. Instructions and mailing address are in your Purchase Order. A sample letter is attached below.

Attachments

• Tesla Opt Out of Arbitration_Redacted.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
If you just bought a Tesla where the FSD was transferred, yes. You must have bought a Tesla within the last 30 days. If the transfered FSD came with a separate purchase order, then you might be able to opt out of arbitration on just the FSD. It depends on the language in the order.

Reactions: asterothe
Just as an FYI, once received, Tesla should scan the letter in and add it as an "Arbitration Provision" to the Documents section for whichever vehicle you specify. I don't know what happens if you don't mention a specific vehicle.

Bruce.
Bruce, do you know how to reach out to them if there's nothing showing up under the documents for the car? I sent a registered opt-out letter after receiving my VIN but don't see anything in the documents section (Mailed in early August, delivery late August). I confirmed the VINs match.

Bruce, do you know how to reach out to them if there's nothing showing up under the documents for the car? I sent a registered opt-out letter after receiving my VIN but don't see anything in the documents section (Mailed in early August, delivery late August). I confirmed the VINs match.

I don't know unfortunately...I just saw mine show up and I didn't even realize that was supposed to happen before that...afterwards I read some other posting(s) here on TMC that mentioned this as well.

Bruce.

Whatever your Purchase Order specifies. Mine states 30 days.

"You may opt out of arbitration within 30 days after signing this Agreement by sending a letter to: Tesla, Inc.; P.O. Box 15430; Fremont, CA 94539-7970, stating your name, Vehicle Identification Number, and intent to opt out of the arbitration provision. If you do not opt out, this agreement to arbitrate overrides any different arbitration agreement between us, including any arbitration agreement in a lease or finance contract."

Whatever your Purchase Order specifies. Mine states 30 days.

"You may opt out of arbitration within 30 days after signing this Agreement by sending a letter to: Tesla, Inc.; P.O. Box 15430; Fremont, CA 94539-7970, stating your name, Vehicle Identification Number, and intent to opt out of the arbitration provision. If you do not opt out, this agreement to arbitrate overrides any different arbitration agreement between us, including any arbitration agreement in a lease or finance contract."
Lame you have to do it via snail mail. I guess send it via tracking