Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner aggravation - Zero driver aids or CC working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fazooley

Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2023
NYC
Hey guys. I'm hoping someone here has some advice for me as the first service appt I can get is not for another 10 days out. I picked up a 2021 MSP with 6k miles on the clock about 10 days ago. I drove it home and all was working with no problems, from CT to NYC all on FSD with zero interventions, I mean it couldn't have gotten any better. I parked the vehicle in my driveway and it prompted me to make an update which I initiated. The following morning I went to LA for 5 days and the entire time couldn't wait to get home to really get to know this vehicle.

Upon getting back into it and navigating to a supercharger station I noticed the FSD visuals were gone, cruise control in any sense wouldn't activate and only displayed a Cruise Control Not Available message, nothing additional that would notate a camera or sensor having an issue. After charging and getting back home, I parked the car quite aggravated and went to bed. The following morning I took my wife to the bus stop and all seemed to be back to nornal. The grey wheel was back and I could see all the FSD visuals displaying like normal and figured well maybe there was just some hiccup.

Later in the day I had to run some errands about 20 miles round trip and attempted once again to activate FSD or even Basic CC and same error, CC not available. I looked around online and found a few solutions that I tried, reformatting usb stick, open/close all doors, etc. Nothing seemed to work and I made an appt to bring it in for service. Later that night I had to move the car and all seemed once again back to normal. However, within 2 blocks of driving I got some message about lane keep assist and all systems crapped out again.

This time I decided to take the last solution that was recommended to reset the camera calibrations and let them recalibrate themselves. I parked, reset everything and it started with calibration in progress. I drove around 15 miles and it has not moved from 0% whatsoever. I'm really frustrated here as I'm used to dealing with very high end models across multiple brands and when something like this happens theres someone you can get on the phone or they'll squeeze you in to check whats going on. I've never dealt with a company where you cannot get someone on the phone and have to make some appt over an app and wait until whenever they have something in almost 2 weeks for what there probably is some sw they'll just push to the vehicle anyways.

All the cruise control unavailable posts I've found that are like mine and don't seem to make any specific mentions about camera being blocked or dirty, or some sensor/camera being degraded are from 2019 and all seem to be related to some update at the time. All sensors are clean, car doesn't have a spec of dirt on it as well. The recalibrating stuck @ 0% is also worrying me as the last time when I picked it up and they must have factory reset everything it recalibrated the vehicles sensors in under 5 minutes.

If anyone has any tips or tricks or suggestions I could try to maybe get this working in the meantime I would greatly appreciate it and thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this rather long post.

Calibrating cameras should be done during the day with well marked roads, hopefully including center and lane lines, and side lines. 15 miles is very low for miles needed for calibration. You probably have some other issue, though.

Calibrating cameras should be done during the day with well marked roads, hopefully including center and lane lines, and side lines. 15 miles is very low for miles needed for calibration. You probably have some other issue, though.
I'm gonna try tomorrow during the daytime but considering how it seems to come and go every other time I start the car I'm leaning towards something else is going on here.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Ok so i found the issue, and seemingly fixed and all is working for now. So I went outside this morning to see if the cameras would recalibrate and sure enough no dice, it started out working as normal and within 5 seconds on the highway it crapped out again. Then I notice each time the car craps out, I get an alert for "Lane Departure Avoidance" and remembered when I picked up the car I changed it from Disabled to Assist. I parked the vehicle, set this to disabled and then restarted my trip. Within 5 minutes all cameras recalibrated and seemingly was able to make a 15 mile drive back home on FSD. So for some reason, when I enable LDA it breaks something in the car. So I think whatever sensors or cameras that LDA is using maybe are malfunctioning. Or maybe something is just glitchy with this last update on the vehicle. In any event at least I can utilize the vehicle normally now and enjoy it a bit and then i'll drop it off for service next week and see what they say

Reactions: DerbyDave