Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did forget Sagamore! Yup, life has gotten pretty sweet here in MA compared to August, 2013. :)

That said, I gently disagree with my esteemed Cantabridgian colleague. Route 2 is only covered by Springfield if you're detouring pretty far south on US91. Route 2 is only covered by Brattleboro if you were planning to zoom north on US91, maybe to visit Keene, NH. And route 2 is only covered by Albany if you plan to (somehow) putter through Williamstown and then Troy.

If, on the other hand, you are based in the Boston area and want to visit, say: Greenfield, Orange, Wendell, Deerfield, Adams, Williamstown, and a bunch of other places lining MA Route 2, you're pretty much out of luck, SC-wise. However, it may well be the case that these areas are low on Tesla's priority list because it's more about people specifically wanting to visit that region rather than people commuting through, e.g., on the way to/from Albany. These are some of the poorer regions of Massachusetts.

Alan

Alan, he's referring to a different route 2 in VT/NH. Also there are 4 MA Superchargers - you forgot Sagamore.

Isn't NW Massachusetts covered by Springfield, Albany and Brattleboro?

One more in the White Mountains would cover all my driving (OK, Bangor would be nice, too).

I've said before - St Johnsbury would be ideal - close enough to the White Mountains, at the intersection of 91 and 93, on the I-91/A-55 route to Sherbrooke.

I think if we're talking about only one charger in the short term, St Johnsbury is way too far north. Anything North of Lincoln and you're missing Loon and Waterville Valley. If you go up to St Johnsbury as you propose, you lose Cannon and Bretton Woods (or force people to drive an extra 50+ miles). In any of these situations, you miss Attitash, Cranmore, and all of North Conway.

I think Lincoln would make the most sense. If Portland finally gets done that can take care of the northeastern part of the state.

But it's only 75 miles from Hooksett to Lincoln and 70 to Waterville and those only are useful during ski season. One in St J would be useful all year for people going to Quebec.

You can make it from Lincoln to either of the superchargers north of it in Canada, this is easier when your destination is a supercharger. But you can't make it round trip from either of the existing NH superchargers to ski locations in the white mountains in the winter. During the morning drive to go skiing it can easily be 0F and/or snowing.

You know if they achieve the same density as California, or Europe, they would cover both locations with ease...

...and then I wouldn't have to tell my friends why we can't take the Tesla today.

I'll take Germany since it has more superchargers (55) than California (47, including permitted and under-construction) in 25k fewer square miles.
And unlike the US Germany doesn't have any areas in the country without good supercharger coverage.

As long as they don't get iced (i.e. plowed in) :)

Or there aren't Tesla's charging there already... Will you be the 3rd Tesla there this morning? Come back to the car after a day of skiing, hope you were the 3rd one and not the 5th one, then wait another 4 hours to get enough charge to make it to hooksett? Meanwhile you hear from the backseat "stupid electric cars, this thing sucks"

Or there aren't Tesla's charging there already... Will you be the 3rd Tesla there this morning? Come back to the car after a day of skiing, hope you were the 3rd one and not the 5th one, then wait another 4 hours to get enough charge to make it to hooksett? Meanwhile you hear from the backseat "stupid electric cars, this thing sucks"

Chicken and egg - the more use/demand and vocal requests they get, the more chargers the ski areas/resorts will install. And if they have valet parking (some resorts do) they can have the valets control charger access and rotate cars when full. Or have 120V plugs available as well - 20-25 miles of range gained during a day of skiing could make a big difference. And fortunately, the way back to Hooksett from the ski areas is more downhill than not, which helps.

That, plus keep pushing Tesla for more Superchargers :smile:.

As for the "stupid electric cars, this thing sucks comments", I make it very clear to my passengers up-front that we are test-driving the future, the infrastructure isn't fully in place and that could have an impact on our trip. But I can tell you it's night and day compared to the situation when I got my S85 nearly three years ago. I did a day trip to Mt. Sunapee from Cambridge in March 2013. It was a bitter cold but fortunately sunny day. Plugshare showed a 120V plug in the Sunapee parking lot, but the circuit was so bad the S wouldn't accept it - red light on the charge port. On the way home we tried to charge at the Marriott Residence Inn in Concord which had just installed a bunch of Chargepoints, but somehow the electrician had only wired up the 120V not the 240V = useless. So we just drove a bit slower and got home with under 20 miles to spare.

Ski school drop off is early....I'll be there in plenty of time. It's the other guys that have to worry.

Chicken and egg - the more use/demand and vocal requests they get, the more chargers the ski areas/resorts will install. And if they have valet parking (some resorts do) they can have the valets control charger access and rotate cars when full. Or have 120V plugs available as well - 20-25 miles of range gained during a day of skiing could make a big difference. And fortunately, the way back to Hooksett from the ski areas is more downhill than not, which helps.

That, plus keep pushing Tesla for more Superchargers :smile:.

As for the "stupid electric cars, this thing sucks comments", I make it very clear to my passengers up-front that we are test-driving the future, the infrastructure isn't fully in place and that could have an impact on our trip. But I can tell you it's night and day compared to the situation when I got my S85 nearly three years ago. I did a day trip to Mt. Sunapee from Cambridge in March 2013. It was a bitter cold but fortunately sunny day. Plugshare showed a 120V plug in the Sunapee parking lot, but the circuit was so bad the S wouldn't accept it - red light on the charge port. On the way home we tried to charge at the Marriott Residence Inn in Concord which had just installed a bunch of Chargepoints, but somehow the electrician had only wired up the 120V not the 240V = useless. So we just drove a bit slower and got home with under 20 miles to spare.

Yes, back in the dark days... But now, pretty much anyone that is a passenger in my car is a potential Model 3 customer, not someone looking to get into the bleeding edge of EV's. Every bad experience is a lost opportunity.

Yes, back in the dark days... But now, pretty much anyone that is a passenger in my car is a potential Model 3 customer, not someone looking to get into the bleeding edge of EV's. Every bad experience is a lost opportunity.

My passengers are usually either my wife or kids between the ages of 5 -10. Who knows what options they'll have when it comes time to buy their first car.

By the time Model 3s are shipping in two years the infrastructure will be that much further along. Missed opportunity is their loss.

Just another insight, superchargers in the area tend to be ~75 miles between each other in the area. That would mean Lincoln/Loon becomes the prime spot for the next one. But still, no official plans.
Tesla has generally been building the longer-distance SCs that define long-distance routes, then filling in. E.g. Augusta got built before Portland, and I'll bet that Bangor is next. With Seabrook and Augusta, Portland has become a "nice to have", just as a Lincoln-area SC would be.

Tesla has generally been building the longer-distance SCs that define long-distance routes, then filling in. E.g. Augusta got built before Portland, and I'll bet that Bangor is next. With Seabrook and Augusta, Portland has become a "nice to have", just as a Lincoln-area SC would be.

The white mountains in the winter is a long distance trip, regardless the general rule seems to be to cover all interstate highways. So based on that, on the 2016 map, routes that don't have any coverage planned is a very short list:

I93 in NH
I29 in SD
I35 from San Antonio to Mexico
I10 from Fort Stockton to El Paso.

Lucky New England...

Since everyone is "wishlisting" on this thread, even though the dot for the coming soon SC location near Boston is north of the city, two locations to the south of Boston, and that certainly fit the "profile" of other SC locations Patriot Place in Foxboro (but I'd hate to have to charge there on a Game Day....) and the Wrentham Outlets.

Obviously, there is already decent coverage along that corridor, those 2 locations would be "volume" spots....filling in some areas once the Model 3 hits the roadways.

Since everyone is "wishlisting" on this thread, even though the dot for the coming soon SC location near Boston is north of the city, two locations to the south of Boston, and that certainly fit the "profile" of other SC locations Patriot Place in Foxboro (but I'd hate to have to charge there on a Game Day....) and the Wrentham Outlets.

Obviously, there is already decent coverage along that corridor, those 2 locations would be "volume" spots....filling in some areas once the Model 3 hits the roadways.

Where exactly do you see this? I think you are misreading the map. The only additional planed supercharger looks to be in backbay.