Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a letter from the owner of the site that Tesla has been studying for Superchargers in Portland, Maine. He writes:

As @itsnotaboutthemoney has documented, there have been delays in getting the local utility's approval for the design, but those designs are now in to CMP. (I'll use my connection there to help expedite.) The other issue is 24-hour access, but the owner has proposed two entirely workable solutions (valet at a nearby hotel, Tesla key-fob control of the security gates).

If you care about this Supercharger site, or even if you want to help those who, like me, care deeply about this site, then I'm asking for your help. Please write to [email protected] express your support for the downtown Portland SC site in whatever way makes sense for you. Tesla holds itself up as a customer-focused company; let's raise our voices as customers to get this SC across the finish line. If it is better to PM with this info....please do so. Thanks

Thank you for your help,
Robert

I will be happy to lend my/my family in the Portland area support. Is it appropriate to share the exact location at this point? I can't fathom a reason why the site location can't go 'public'. I have contacted the person in charge of business development in Maine on several occasions about maine SCs. he has been quite proactive. If I know the site we will reconnect with him and see if we can apply pressure from the government side. If it would be better to PM with the info...please do so. Thanks Al

Last edited:
Yes, I think at this point, I should confirm that this is the Fore St. Garage. The owner has installed, at his own expense, a Clipper Creek 100 and a CHAdeMO, as well as enough to solar panels to make the garage approximately net-grid-neutral.

One issue is the 24/7 access that Tesla seeks for all sites. Every parking garage in Portland shuts in the wee hours, but the owner has proposed that the valets at the adjacent Hyatt (which he also owns) could provide 24/7 access, and/or that the gates could be opened by a Tesla fob.

While there are probably easier sites at, say, the Maine Mall or strip malls down in South Portland, I think the demographic that buys Tesla vehicles would far rather spend time in a character-filled area like Portland's Old Port. My experience charging at the Auburn Mall was anything but pleasant, and I'd hate to inflict that same negative experience on visitors here.

Yes, I think at this point, I should confirm that this is the Fore St. Garage. The owner has installed, at his own expense, a Clipper Creek 100 and a CHAdeMO, as well as enough to solar panels to make the garage approximately net-grid-neutral.

One issue is the 24/7 access that Tesla seeks for all sites. Every parking garage in Portland shuts in the wee hours, but the owner has proposed that the valets at the adjacent Hyatt (which he also owns) could provide 24/7 access, and/or that the gates could be opened by a Tesla fob.

While there are probably easier sites at, say, the Maine Mall or strip malls down in South Portland, I think the demographic that buys Tesla vehicles would far rather spend time in a character-filled area like Portland's Old Port. My experience charging at the Auburn Mall was anything but pleasant, and I'd hate to inflict that same negative experience on visitors here.

Thanks Robert. I will try to help from my end as well. I know the Maine Mall is just 'OK' but it is easier access to long distance travelers up and down 95. However, Maine (esp Portland) needed an SC a year ago so any location is acceptable at this point.:wink: I am surprised with his business ventures in Portland that he has not been able to bring more pressure to bear on CMP......but I digress.
So, is it correct to say that the hold up at this point is CMP. No problem with City of Portland, property owner or TM...all in CMP's court at this time?

I suggest that people Google map the location and look at all the places around to understand what an excellent location this is. Although downtown, it's easy to get to. I-295 Exit 7. It's an exit to go downtown only (the other direction's water, so you can't turn the wrong way off it), drive in the right travel lane, turn right onto Fore St, drive to parking garage on right (please don't hit the pedestrians on the way). I'm not familiar with peak travel there, but on a Saturday evening the traffic certainly isn't bad, so I'd expect that most times people will be there it won't take very long to get to the site. The Old Port does get busy with tourists in summer, but Fore St is not where the heaviest traffic is.

There's plenty of food and drink nearby, including a Five Guys burgers and a gelato and coffee place (Gelato Fiasco) on the same side of the street (and another gelato place across the street!) It's also in a very walkable area (although it can be a bit hilly) with plenty of other shopping nearby. When Portland is asleep, the Hyatt Place lobby should also be accessible from the parking garage so you won't have to sit in the car while it charges.

Despite all the back and forth and delays we've documented, I hope that people understand what a great location this is and how much trouble the site owner is willing to go to get a Supercharger there. He really does support plug-ins. I met him at the Drive Electric Week event in South Portland, where he was showing his loaded P85. He's also had 2 Volts, has or had a reservation for an X, and was thinking of trading his P85 to get a P85D when it was announced.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Robert. I will try to help from my end as well. I know the Maine Mall is just 'OK' but it is easier access to long distance travelers up and down 95. However, Maine (esp Portland) needed an SC a year ago so any location is acceptable at this point.:wink: I am surprised with his business ventures in Portland that he has not been able to bring more pressure to bear on CMP......but I digress.
So, is it correct to say that the hold up at this point is CMP. No problem with City of Portland, property owner or TM...all in CMP's court at this time?

To be honest, regular travelers wouldn't take I-95 unless they're specifically heading to the Lewiston/Auburn area. Although the I-295 speed limit drops through Portland, I-295
a) is shorter
b) is faster
c) provides cut-off points to Route 1.
d) is toll-free
Maine DOT will try to direct you to I-95, but Mainers know to ignore them unless it's an extreme peak holiday weekend where there might be insane I-295/Route 1 traffic.

I believe it's all just a CMP issue, and that it's really a transformer siting issue, not otherwise an infrastructural issue. It's in a parking garage in Downtown Portland, so there wouldn't be zoning issues for traffic or supply problems. (Also, since it's prime and covered, there's not going to be any problem when there's heavy snow.)

Currently, CMP needs to approve the electrical design, so some nudging there would help. But the owner also indicated that Tesla sounds like it's getting cold feet, too, which is why I'm urging a letter-writing campaign to Tesla in support.

Currently, CMP needs to approve the electrical design, so some nudging there would help. But the owner also indicated that Tesla sounds like it's getting cold feet, too, which is why I'm urging a letter-writing campaign to Tesla in support.

You may have your own contacts as you live in the area. FYI, I have contacted both Brian Whitney, head of state economic development and Greg Mitchell, head of City of Portland economic development. My brother put me in contact with both as they are friends of his. Unfortunately, he has no direct contacts within CMP.

Hi, @Robert.Boston,

Just a plug in favor of the Auburn SC. I used it twice a few days ago, and found it to be easy to get to. It's located in such a way that it is less likely to be ICEd due to mall traffic. While there isn't much easily accessible except the mall, at least there *is* the mall. Although I'd concede that when the mall is closed, you don't even have that. :)

I would agree with your point that the Auburn Mall is probably not the best fit for the *current* Tesla Model S demographic. I wonder whether that fit might change over time as the Model 3 deploys and brings BEV to a (somewhat) less-affluent demographic.

But boy it sure worked for me and was a great help on my trip. I'm glad to have it.

Alan

I'm delighted by the existence of the Auburn SC; at 144 miles from my home, it will almost always be my first link onto the Supercharger Highway. There's a DD in walking distance, which is open except in the wee hours (though not visible from the SCs, so I didn't find it the first time). The "Golden Crust" pizza place in the old railroad station makes a better-than-average calzone and has a restroom, but there're no tables.

My only point ragging on Auburn was that at Portland there's a much better option, and Tesla should be happy to take it. As an added plus, the parking attendants at Fore St. will have direct line-of-sight to the Superchargers. They've been very good at preventing ICEing at the two existing EV charging stalls.

I got a letter from the owner of the site that Tesla has been studying for Superchargers in Portland, Maine. He writes:

As @itsnotaboutthemoney has documented, there have been delays in getting the local utility's approval for the design, but those designs are now in to CMP. (I'll use my connection there to help expedite.) The other issue is 24-hour access, but the owner has proposed two entirely workable solutions (valet at a nearby hotel, Tesla key-fob control of the security gates).

If you care about this Supercharger site, or even if you want to help those who, like me, care deeply about this site, then I'm asking for your help. Please write to [email protected] express your support for the downtown Portland SC site in whatever way makes sense for you. Tesla holds itself up as a customer-focused company; let's raise our voices as customers to get this SC across the finish line.

Thank you for your help,
Robert

Sorry for the double-hope which reads like I was trying too hard :( but this is the what I emailed to Tesla:

Me said:
Subject: Proposed Portland ME Supercharger

I am a Maine resident, and although not a current Tesla owner, I hope to be one when the Model 3 is produced. As a proponent of electrification, after having met the owner of the proposed site in Portland, ME at an electric vehicle event in September 2014 last year, I've been following the progress.

I am aware that there have been problems agreeing a suitable electrical solution with the utility, and that there may currently be questions about 24/7 access, but I do hope that given the excellent downtown location in a very popular tourist destination, and the enthusiastic support of the site owner, I hope that Tesla will continue with this site.

Agree 100% and then some! I've stopped there twice to use the CS-100 80A charger and it's a great place to spend time - so much better than So Portland malls or Maine Mall. My wife keeps asking me why Tesla puts most of their new stores in "big, disgusting malls." The answer is obvious. I guess we're just not Mall people.

Agree 100% and then some! I've stopped there twice to use the CS-100 80A charger and it's a great place to spend time - so much better than So Portland malls or Maine Mall. My wife keeps asking me why Tesla puts most of their new stores in "big, disgusting malls." The answer is obvious. I guess we're just not Mall people.

I'm not a Mall Person (the wife is...) but when I take a road trip I don't want to stray too far off the highway to charge.
I've gone over 500 miles in a day multiple times and on those days I don't need charm.

I'm not saying I won't venture back to the Fore St. area when in the Portland area but the superchargers are there to enable road trips.

I'm not a Mall Person (the wife is...) but when I take a road trip I don't want to stray too far off the highway to charge.
I've gone over 500 miles in a day multiple times and on those days I don't need charm.

I'm not saying I won't venture back to the Fore St. area when in the Portland area but the superchargers are there to enable road trips.

I know the TM people have been working at getting a 'Portland area' SC for quite some time (over a year). I know there are several TMC people trying to facilitate the build. For my small part I had put the TM SC person in charge of the area in touch with the Director of business Development in Maine. I am not sure if they targeted the Maine Mall or not but I know the owner of the garage 'wants' the SC.
As I recall, Fore Street would take you off the Maine Turnpike/95 for about 15 minutes?

I know the TM people have been working at getting a 'Portland area' SC for quite some time (over a year). I know there are several TMC people trying to facilitate the build. For my small part I had put the TM SC person in charge of the area in touch with the Director of business Development in Maine. I am not sure if they targeted the Maine Mall or not but I know the owner of the garage 'wants' the SC.
As I recall, Fore Street would take you off the Maine Turnpike/95 for about 15 minutes?

Too much for my wife if we're headed off to points beyond.
And if you get there on a Friday during rush hour and the streets are gridlocked...

A Google maps suggested maybe 18 minutes if you were coming down the Pike from the north and then cut across to the SC and then headed back to the Pike.

Inconvenient for people using the Pike but not for most people traveling in Maine because they'd be taking I-295.

Given there also being Hooksett, Portsmouth and Augusta, there's not many scenarios that would really inconvenience people.

Too much for my wife if we're headed off to points beyond.
And if you get there on a Friday during rush hour and the streets are gridlocked...
You clearly haven't been to Portland during "rush hour." I've driven in Boston at midnight with more traffic than we typically have at 5pm. The only traffic issue down to Fore St. is the clueless pedestrians stumbling off the cruise ships.

Well, it is true that I decamp to our summer place in the summer and rarely find myself in Portland during tourist season. Of course, that's not a rush hour problem; that's a tourist problem. Driving through the center of Freeport in prime tourist season is even worse. Still, Mainers are careful not to say anything bad about tourists; after all, they bring the money.