Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model E, or 5yr old model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
confused about warranty on batteries and the ability to swap out batteries at a charging station? how does changing your battery pack work with warranty?

Tesla hasn't explained how, if they roll out battery swap stations, how exactly they'll handle the business side of it. I think they said something about shipping your pack back to your local service station or doing some prorated amount if you wanted to keep the new pack you picked up.

Tesla hasn't explained how, if they roll out battery swap stations, how exactly they'll handle the business side of it. I think they said something about shipping your pack back to your local service station or doing some prorated amount if you wanted to keep the new pack you picked up.
At the launch event for battery swap they explained it relatively well. The theory was you swap your battery on the outbound leg of your journey, pay a rental fee "equivalent to what it would cost to fuel up from a gas pump" and then on the return trip you stop at the same swap station and swap back to your original pack (thus not affecting your warranty)
They also stated that, if you wanted, you could pay the difference in value between your old pack, and the new pack, and just keep the new one (though how that difference in value is calculated remains to be seen)

More importantly it remains to be seen if there ever will be battery swapping.
This was only ever announced to get more zero emission credits. With the change in rules there is no real incentive. And I don't see an economic model how battery swapping could be paid for

At the launch event for battery swap they explained it relatively well. The theory was you swap your battery on the outbound leg of your journey, pay a rental fee "equivalent to what it would cost to fuel up from a gas pump" and then on the return trip you stop at the same swap station and swap back to your original pack (thus not affecting your warranty)
They also stated that, if you wanted, you could pay the difference in value between your old pack, and the new pack, and just keep the new one (though how that difference in value is calculated remains to be seen)
Technically they didn't formally address tracking the miles you used on the borrowed pack w/r/t to the impact on the warranty of your pack. One would assume they have the technology (and the will) to do so.

I'll be keeping my S for a ridiculously long time. I'm planning to upgrade the battery when it makes sense and I'd be curious about even replacing the motor at some point along with other possible upgrades and essentially having a new car. I will also need the size of the S if we have kids. If/when the E is irresistible, my wife's Nissan will disappear.

For me, it'd be the cheaper E. The whole reason for me wanting an EV is to not have to pay for gas for my 60+ mile round trip commute. Doesn't make sense for me to pay $100K for something I'm just going to rack up a ton of miles on.

Hello Forum,
I really like the MS, but by the time the E comes out we will be empty nesters and the smaller car will be sufficient to our need.
Until then, even though I do not like the car, I will use my plug in which works well for the miles run around the block, and will be waiting for the E or whatever name will be used for it.

Cheers

Patrick

Hmm, so quite the average Joe then... :wink:
Did I mention it was a 17 year old S class when I bought it? (I'm not rich if that's what you were implying!) I used it as an example of why I'm not concerned about the size of the vehicle.

The newest car I've ever owned was just over 15 years old when I bought it. I keep my cars about 5 years on average, or until they completely fall apart...

I'm not poor either though, I'm "upper" middle class I guess, I make reasonable money, and have some disposable income, but that's mainly because I don't waste it on luxuries I don't need.

A Tesla would be a major departure from my normal buying habits, but it's also a major departure from a normal automobile.
The plan would be to spend way more than I'm comfortable with (but not enough to buy a model S new) and keep it for at least twice as long as I normally would. It's the only way I can justify it. (buy a 5 year old S and keep it until it's 15? or buy a new "E" and keep it until it's 10?)

First post for me! Been lurking for a while, but this thread caught my eye and I feel I have something relevant to say.

In my case, if the price were the same, I would choose a new Model E (or whatever it will be called, now that we know it won't be the M E) over a 5 year old Model S. I have a few reasons for this.

First, I prefer my cars to be on the smaller side (though not tiny - no cube or smart cars for me). My current car is a '02 Saturn SL2, and it is, as far as I'm concerned, the perfect size. I'm no stranger to bigger cars; my wife's is a '92 Mercury Grand Marquis, which is actually a bit bigger than the MS, and I first learned to drive in my Dad's '74 Chevy Nova, which is about the same size as the MS. Early indications seem to be that the ME will be about the same size as my Saturn. As long as it passes what I call the "cello test" (I'm a professional cellist) where I can easily fit my cello in the back seat, it's good (my Saturn is right at the minimum size for passing that test).

Second, the ME will have the advantage of several additional years of R&D. Newer technology means it will be better in many ways (though I'm fully aware that the MS, as a luxury car, will still be superior in others. Even my wife's 22-year-old Grand Marquis has a lot going for it as a luxury car).

I'm one of those people whose finances are such that I cannot even come close to affording a MS. If I could, I'd probably already own one. But between the MS and the ME (pending, of course, full details on exactly what the ME will be), the ME will probably be a better fit for me. And, if my current cars don't make this abundantly clear, when I purchase a car, I'm in it for the long haul. I intend to some day purchase a Tesla, and when I do, I intend to run it for 20+ years.

First post for me! Been lurking for a while, but this thread caught my eye and I feel I have something relevant to say.

In my case, if the price were the same, I would choose a new Model E (or whatever it will be called, now that we know it won't be the M E) over a 5 year old Model S. I have a few reasons for this.

First, I prefer my cars to be on the smaller side (though not tiny - no cube or smart cars for me). My current car is a '02 Saturn SL2, and it is, as far as I'm concerned, the perfect size. I'm no stranger to bigger cars; my wife's is a '92 Mercury Grand Marquis, which is actually a bit bigger than the MS, and I first learned to drive in my Dad's '74 Chevy Nova, which is about the same size as the MS. Early indications seem to be that the ME will be about the same size as my Saturn. As long as it passes what I call the "cello test" (I'm a professional cellist) where I can easily fit my cello in the back seat, it's good (my Saturn is right at the minimum size for passing that test).

Second, the ME will have the advantage of several additional years of R&D. Newer technology means it will be better in many ways (though I'm fully aware that the MS, as a luxury car, will still be superior in others. Even my wife's 22-year-old Grand Marquis has a lot going for it as a luxury car).

I'm one of those people whose finances are such that I cannot even come close to affording a MS. If I could, I'd probably already own one. But between the MS and the ME (pending, of course, full details on exactly what the ME will be), the ME will probably be a better fit for me. And, if my current cars don't make this abundantly clear, when I purchase a car, I'm in it for the long haul. I intend to some day purchase a Tesla, and when I do, I intend to run it for 20+ years.

Hi Clomer, welcome to the forum and your reasons make perfect sense. And don't worry about the cello it will fit easily since my bet is the G3 will be a hatchback. At least I'm hoping it will be since a hatchback has many advantages. It just makes sense to carry forward the hatchback tradition of the Model S.

Did I mention it was a 17 year old S class when I bought it? (I'm not rich if that's what you were implying!) I used it as an example of why I'm not concerned about the size of the vehicle.

The newest car I've ever owned was just over 15 years old when I bought it. I keep my cars about 5 years on average, or until they completely fall apart...

I'm not poor either though, I'm "upper" middle class I guess, I make reasonable money, and have some disposable income, but that's mainly because I don't waste it on luxuries I don't need.

A Tesla would be a major departure from my normal buying habits, but it's also a major departure from a normal automobile.
The plan would be to spend way more than I'm comfortable with (but not enough to buy a model S new) and keep it for at least twice as long as I normally would. It's the only way I can justify it. (buy a 5 year old S and keep it until it's 15? or buy a new "E" and keep it until it's 10?)

You're the reason I bought the stock, after I bought the car. I am a car nut and love the technology but I was amazed at how many owners that were exactly like you. Never bought a car this expensive and never spend this kind of $ on a car. Truly a tribute to design and function. If they can motivate non-car nut buyers to buy a car like this, imagine what is going to happen with Gen III!!!

My speculation is that Tesla will follow the same general roadmap of cars as BMW, though of course executing each model in its own way. The Model S competes against the 5-series, and the Model E (or whatever) will compete with the 3-series. The smaller chassis should enable them to produce a sedan, crossover, coupe, and convertible based on the same platform. I prefer smaller cars, and I love convertibles, so a P+ Model E convertible would be irresistible. I'm sure I'll find a good home for my S at the time.