Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3, can feel the road from wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not make a svc appointment then. Just take it in and tell them the problem. Usually a tech will take a quick ride with you and see for him/herself. Then they either make the appt or return the car. But at least let them try to see if it’s a simple wheel balancing issue, if you like the car enough i guess.
As I understand, your recommendation would require a SC appointment. Our SC doesn’t do “walk-in” checks.

We had a pretty bad wheel vibration on our first Model 3. We were pretty concerned about it but really didn’t want to deal with the hassle of returning it and waiting for another car so we took it in for service. It turned out the VIN plate under the windshield was loose and was rattling on bumpy roads. They tightened up the plate and the problem was solved. We would have felt pretty silly returning the car over that issue. Both cars have been trouble free ever since.

In your world it's legitimate that a $50K car has issues right off the lot?
If QC isn't there that's not my fault and I shouldn't have to waste my time for it.
My time is valuable too, and I doubt Tesla will offer any form of compensation.

In my reality, *sugar* happens. Not everything goes my way...when *sugar* happens I look for solutions and evaluate my options using logic, when others offer up logical solutions to my problems I consider them.

Like I said, if it’s too much hassle for you, return the car. It’s no skin off my rear end either way...I offered genuine advice as to the most likely cause of your issue...you decided that this “shouldn’t happen”. My stance is “ it happened, let’s move on”

It appears that I and others have misjudged your reasoning for posting your issue. I thought you wanted help, I now believe you wanted to vent. I’m not good at dealing with people who want to vent as I’m a problem solver not a priest. Oddly enough I happen to have a skillset and experience in automotive service, specifically in brakes and suspension work. Like I said we live in different realities.

It appears that I and others have misjudged your reasoning for posting your issue. I thought you wanted help, I now believe you wanted to vent. I’m not good at dealing with people who want to vent as I’m a problem solver not a priest. Oddly enough I happen to have a skillset and experience in automotive service, specifically in brakes and suspension work. Like I said we live in different realities.

While there my be some "venting" nature to my post, I definitely did not come here for that. In fact I like the car so much I was hoping y'all would tell me that this is "normal" and I'd probably carry on and live with it. That's really all I came here to find out - normal / not normal.

Given this is not normal and a manufacturing defect, I'll be returning the car as I don't like the hassle of dealing with product repairs. My personal experience repairing products is:
1. The product is never quite in the same condition after it's been taken apart.
2. With intermittent issues, the first attempt usually never fixes the issue.

While there my be some "venting" nature to my post, I definitely did not come here for that. In fact I like the car so much I was hoping y'all would tell me that this is "normal" and I'd probably carry on and live with it. That's really all I came here to find out - normal / not normal.

Given this is not normal and a manufacturing defect, I'll be returning the car as I don't like the hassle of dealing with product repairs. My personal experience repairing products is:
1. The product is never quite in the same condition after it's been taken apart.
2. With intermittent issues, the first attempt usually never fixes the issue.
Good luck!

What if it's something stupid like the VIN plate someone mentioned above? You're going to return it without them even looking at it?

At the very least when you take it back tell them why you're returning it so they can at least have someone look at it and make sure it's not something simple and easy to fix. If it's major then by all means return it. But if it's a loose bolt somewhere why go through the hassle of returning and reordering?

Or an adhesive weight fell off of one of the wheels.

If you drive into the service center and threaten to return the car I’m pretty sure they’re going to accept you as a walk-in.

Honestly, though, it really sounds like you’re looking for an excuse to return the car. You’re probably better off doing so because I suspect you’ll never stop looking for reasons to dislike it if you keep it.

What if it's something stupid like the VIN plate someone mentioned above? You're going to return it without them even looking at it?

At the very least when you take it back tell them why you're returning it so they can at least have someone look at it and make sure it's not something simple and easy to fix. If it's major then by all means return it. But if it's a loose bolt somewhere why go through the hassle of returning and reordering?

I'm not a car expert but as tampering with the VIN is illegal I can imagine it's intentionally made difficult to get to.
It may even be vacuum sealed at the factory, in which case "fixing" it probably damages the seal.
I will give them a chance to repair tomorrow morning when I take it back. I'm guessing they're going to want me to come back another day or leave the car with them. In both cases I'd rather just get my money back.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm not a car expert but as tampering with the VIN is illegal I can imagine it's intentionally made difficult to get to.
It may even be vacuum sealed at the factory, in which case "fixing" it probably damages the seal.
I will give them a chance to repair tomorrow morning when I take it back. I'm guessing they're going to want me to come back another day or leave the car with them. In both cases I'd rather just get my money back.
Sounds like you have “buyers remorse”(?). Again, good luck!

Or an adhesive weight fell off of one of the wheels.

If you drive into the service center and threaten to return the car I’m pretty sure they’re going to accept you as a walk-in.

Honestly, though, it really sounds like you’re looking for an excuse to return the car. You’re probably better off doing so because I suspect you’ll never stop looking for reasons to dislike it if you keep it.

You missed the part where I said I love the car. I would exchange it rather than return if it were an option. This is not the outcome I was hoping before but I also have my principals on keeping new products that are defective out of the box.

Or I can order another M3 in 12 months. Tesla might even get their quality under control by then.

The best suggestion here has been to man up and switch your wheels front to rear and see what happens. ;)

I hate to break it to you, but tires wear out, and then they will have to take the tires off the wheels and put new ones on!!! And they will have to rebalance the wheels at that point.

My point is that rebalancing is a routine activity, and quite distinct from “taking the car apart.”

But do whatever you feel you must. If it’s not a simple wheel balance issue, I’m in favor of a return - though I didn’t realize the terms were so poor for returns for a legitimate reason. (Wheel balance is not a legitimate reason for a return as far as I am concerned.)

Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I experience this too, right from delivery mid August. Very minor but reproducible. Noticeable at various speeds above 50.
Typical effect of slight misalignment/balans (not saying it is the root case for this car). I also noticed that my steering wheel is a few degrees rotated (clockwise), max 10 degrees I estimate.
I have a service appoint in about a month to correct the wheel and two very minor paint issues. I assume the vibration can be fixed.

I also thought: let's see what happens when the tires brake in. After about 700 miles it seems less noticeable and would not be reason to make an appointment.
Having experience with minor vibrations in a brand new BMW F30, i know it requires fine detail. In the BMW they only fixed it after correcting a .07 degrees offset on the right front wheel. For a long time the kept saying 'within tolerance', but thankfully also "we are not happy until you are".
I hope Tesla lives up to the premium-wannabe statements.

With the M3, using autopilot helps ;)