Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Higher-resolution Instrument Panel Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original instrument cluster used a 1280x400 pixel resolution I think. Panel would have been made by Sharp or LG Display because they are the only two suppliers of those panels in 12.3" form factor. I am not sure Tesla are high volume enough to manufacture custom panels for, so they probably found a supplier providing higher resolution in the same format. Maybe something ~1920x640 or similar odd resolution.

That part sounds like an entire cluster solution, whereas we know Tesla kind of has their own thing going with the (IIRC) Tegra-based cluster computer.

Perhaps the JDI started selling the display itself stand-alone to other customers.

I noticed this when my car was delivered (VIN 37xxx, with thinner surround). The center console also appears to be improved. It is possible that they are the same resolution but higher quality panels (like the difference between TFT and IPS).

Shame they didn't change the console glass & digitiser at the same time, the wires all reflect the sunlight when the roof is open!

I noticed this when my car was delivered (VIN 37xxx, with thinner surround). The center console also appears to be improved. It is possible that they are the same resolution but higher quality panels (like the difference between TFT and IPS).

Shame they didn't change the console glass & digitiser at the same time, the wires all reflect the sunlight when the roof is open!

I don't think the center console has changed - at least I didn't notice a difference.

I was wondering how different the "difference" really is. When driving today (my vin is 15xxx) and at a normal distance, I really couldn't tell the "lower" resolution of the dash display. With the naked eye, at normal distance, it looked like the "higher" res images above. So I took out my iphone 5 and took a photo, and sure enough, when zoomed in, one can see the jaggies. But when driving? Nadda. It's not like we're displaying fine art or watching 1080p videos on the dash. Whatever resolution mine is, is perfectly fine FOR A DASHBOARD OF A CAR!! I spend most of my time watching the ROAD, not the DASHBOARD. It could be VGA resolution, and I'd be perfectly fine, as long as it conveys the correct INFORMATION all the time.

I was wondering how different the "difference" really is. When driving today (my vin is 15xxx) and at a normal distance, I really couldn't tell the "lower" resolution of the dash display. With the naked eye, at normal distance, it looked like the "higher" res images above. So I took out my iphone 5 and took a photo, and sure enough, when zoomed in, one can see the jaggies. But when driving? Nadda. It's not like we're displaying fine art or watching 1080p videos on the dash. Whatever resolution mine is, is perfectly fine FOR A DASHBOARD OF A CAR!! I spend most of my time watching the ROAD, not the DASHBOARD. It could be VGA resolution, and I'd be perfectly fine, as long as it conveys the correct INFORMATION all the time.

Technically it is VGA resolution - albeit a wide version of VGA because the horizontal resolution on your car is 480 pixels :) The new one would be 720 which would be like HD resolution (from a horizontal resolution standpoint anyway).

Sure, it doesn't really matter, but it really does look nicer, I promise.

Another data point VIN 36216

I appear to have the screen before the change. Album of high res dash pics (click pics to zoom in)

http://imgur.com/a/PilGg

cftFwIJ.jpg

Monday was the first Tesla I tried, but I found the display impressive for a 2011 tech. Based on the picture you showed, it tell me they did upgrade it as I didn't see the pixel.

Also it not just a question of increasing the pixel density, but removing the black separation between the pixel make huge difference too. Lot of thing can be improved.

For anyone looking at the close up pics and thinking that the dash display looks bad, from the distance it is viewed it really doesn't. Below are two pics of my dash display, both from the same single pic. The second is more what you would see from the driver's seat. The old display doesn't look bad at all, though I'm sure the new display is noticeably better.

JL64Ok8.png

lf3YMbB.png

the new bezel is really much nicer. The higher res screen is nice too, but I think the power-meter animation is less smooth. Kind of jerky when it moves quick.

well I guess they didn't bump up the graphics chip. i'd rather it be less resolution and smooth vs higher resolution and jerky. Now that you mention it, I had a 44xxx loaner 2 weeks ago and I remember noticing and telling myself that the display looked extremely choppy. This all makes sense now. It had the higher resolution display. I even rebooted it to see if it was just a "low on memory" type thing but that didn't solve it. Still choppy. You could see the frames chop as the power bar was moving up and down.

So.... I find it curious that Tesla would change perfectly good hardware (and have to support two different sets in their firmwares) without doing it in a "major model" change... Not saying it isn't possible. But, still seems like they have bigger fish to fry than giving us more pixels (particularly on the dashboard)

I would also think that if you're going higher on pixels, to get the best out of it you may have to upgrade the graphics chip too?? which is even more changes on the hardware side to keep track of in your driver/firmware releases... just seems to add a lot of complication for very little benefit.

Not saying it isn't possible, it certainly is... it's just surprising considering the benefit or return on investment...

that is... unless the original display supply out in the wild is drying up?? maybe supply chain forced their hand? If the supplier has decided to discontinue the part, that would certainly do it..