Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New front seat design now shipping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many changes to X are basically downgrades. I hope these seats are more comfortable, because they certainly LOOK cheaper.
Probably to simplify the production line and cut down on repairs to electrical items (think headrests, vented seats and active rear spoiler). But you are right, the X should have these types of "luxuries" to differentiate from the lower priced offerings.

Reactions: MTOman
Not much difference in legroom

I am not sure if it needs more legroom. I have rode in the back seat a lot and 6ft tall - I like the back seat better than the front when a rear facing child seat is installed.

It does not look like it but if it allowed the front seat to move back an inch more - it would be one of my favorite improvements (provided the seat is as comfortable).

Like what?

• Removed ventilated seats
  • Removed motorized rear spoiler
  • Removed Model X badging at falcon wing door opening
  • Removed interior configuration options such as Matte Obeche Wood
  • Removed Alcantara from dash
  • Threatened to switch headliner from Alcantara, thankfully that never happened
  • Removed lower white dash panels for awhile, and now still sometimes building cars with black lower dash when it should be white
  • Cheaper rear floor shelf
There's been some improvements too:
  • Quieter door release for front doors
  • Falcon wing door interior switches instead of levers
  • Falcon wing door sensor added so it doesn't close if someone is standing under it
But most of the changes feel like cost savings by removing items of flair and distinction

• Removed ventilated seats
  • Removed motorized rear spoiler
  • Removed Model X badging at falcon wing door opening
  • Removed interior configuration options such as Matte Obeche Wood
  • Removed Alcantara from dash
  • Threatened to switch headliner from Alcantara, thankfully that never happened
  • Removed lower white dash panels for awhile, and now still sometimes building cars with black lower dash when it should be white
  • Cheaper rear floor shelf
There's been some improvements too:
  • Quieter door release for front doors
  • Falcon wing door interior switches instead of levers
  • Falcon wing door sensor added so it doesn't close if someone is standing under it
But most of the changes feel like cost savings by removing items of flair and distinction

You are also missing the significant improvement to driving efficiency with Ravens (this is huge), new MCU, new front motors, regen to stop. The current cars are definitely an improvement over older cars.

You are also missing the significant improvement to driving efficiency with Ravens (this is huge), new MCU, new front motors, regen to stop. The current cars are definitely an improvement over older cars.

For sure. But they'd be even better without the penny pinching downgrades. Being low volume cars, it seems Tesla could afford to keep the nice-to-haves. Shave pennies on the high volume cars.

Not necessarily. Mine is a 2020 as well, have the older seats.

Tesla is not like other car makers. There are no model years where they introduce new features. They start putting new features into cars as the feature becomes available. Examples of this include upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 in March 2018. Cars made in early March had MCU1, cars made late in March and beyond had MCU2. Cars with MCU2 received support for things like YouTube, previous cars did not, so this can have downstream impact.

If you guys have been paying attention to the last conference call, the S and X are basically niche hobby cars for Tesla to build.

All the hotness is around 3,Y and truck.

It’s zero surprise for Tesla to throw Model 3 seats into the X because that’s all they want to produce.

Reactions: MTOman