Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EV tire options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 (with 18" wheels) has about 36,000 miles on it, and it will need new tires soon, so I've been slowly doing research. There's been some chatter in another thread about the new Hankook ION EVO AS EV-specific tires, and I recently heard about a new EV-specific tire from Bridgestone, the Turanza EV. Does anybody have thoughts on one of those vs. the other? Aside from those, the non-EV-specific Michelin Cross-Climate 2 seems to be popular and performs well in various tests, particularly in the snow. It's likely to result in a range hit and increased noise compared to the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that came on my Model 3, but the CC2 will likely perform better, particularly in snow. (I live in Rhode Island, but I work from home most days, so I seldom need to drive in inclement weather.)

One concern I have with the EV-specific tires, or at least with the Hankook ION EVO AS (I haven't yet researched this for the Bridgestone Turanza EV) is tread life. Getting better energy efficiency out of tires sounds great, but if the tires have to be replaced twice as often, that will reduce, and maybe even reverse, the monetary and environmental benefits compared to a more generic tire. My Model 3 is of the now-discontinued LR RWD variety, and I've never come close to needing its full 325-mile EPA rated range, so I'm not so concerned with range per se, although optimizing energy efficiency is an issue for me.

So, any thoughts on this? The Bridgestone Turanza EV was just introduced a couple of days ago, so I don't expect to hear any hands-on experiences with it; but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts about these tires, or recommendations for others, if you think something else is better than these three (or four, counting the Michelin Primacy MXM4).
i just got the bridgestone turanza ev on my model y long range. they are fantastic so far! super quiet, smooth ride, great handling, and absorbs bump shocks way better. i had the stock continentals before which were magnets for nails as i patched 5 nail punctures in a span of a week. i got the bridgestones from costco and they come with 50k warranty

i just got the bridgestone turanza ev on my model y long range. they are fantastic so far! super quiet, smooth ride, great handling, and absorbs bump shocks way better. i had the stock continentals before which were magnets for nails as i patched 5 nail punctures in a span of a week. i got the bridgestones from costco and they come with 50k warranty
How is the efficiency compared to OEM continentals?

Seems most agree

Hankook iON EVO AS <—— might end up the best

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 <— close second

Bridgestone Turanza EV AS <— new?

The Hankook iON EVO AS might be the best of the Non-Ultra Spec AS tires. Turanza EV is in this same group of tires.

Ultra AS Spec Tires -
Michelin PSAS4 should be better in the wet, 540 wear, but has no foam compared to the iON EVO AS. I would put these tires ahead of the iON EVO AS in most categories except for noise and 5000 miles less warranty.

Pirelli Elect and GY EDGT are also Ultra Spec AS tires with foam for noise control. I like this group of tires the best.

My first drive in the wet with MXM4s sent me into obsessive tire swap mode. To be fair, the MXM4 were worn unevenly when I bought the car. At this point in the game I will only look at UTQG Traction AA tires as a minimum for my next set of tires.

Just put Pirelli cinyurato all season tires. Did a 1100mile road trip and
were much quieter than the stock tires. At $150 a piece, oh they have the seal
inside as well. These are newer tires made for EV's. I have no idea about wear yet.

Never thought we needed All Season tires in Southern California, but a hurricane is supposed to hit us tonight. Seems like the rules are changing.
Forget the tires. Get tons of beer, steaks and hamberger. A bottle of propane for the BBQ,
and lots of water. Renting a generator is also a nice touch. I hope you are on high ground,
if not call your friends on high ground. We wish you the best.

I had Nokian One tires installed this past Spring to replace the original Michelin MXM4 tires on our three year old Model 3 LR. Excellent traction, long tread life, and quiet. I have been very pleased with them.

Reactions: TheGrumpyChad
After many hours researching this exact topic, I just put 4 of the Hankook Evo Ion AS on my spouses M3. We got it 12/2020 and it has 37,000 miles on it. These are replacing the stock Michelin's. I have been very pleased with them, they are MUCH quieter on the highway and I am seeing better range with them as well. I feel they will last as long or longer than the Michelin's. I have had Hankook's in the past and always been pleased with them. I will be replacing the tires on my M3 probably in about another 2 - 3 months and will do the Hankook's again. I do a tremendous amount of Highway driving, I will turn 50,000 miles on Monday and I just bought it new 5/27/2022 (yes, 50k miles in 15 months). The Hankook's have a 50,000 mile warranty as well.

I also got the bridgestone turanza ev a month ago for my y long range.

How has the range been for you? I’ve found the the range decreased significantly for me.

Never thought we needed All Season tires in Southern California, but a hurricane is supposed to hit us tonight. Seems like the rules are changing.
AIUI, "all season" vs. "summer" vs. "winter" tires just refers to the temperature at which the rubber is designed function optimally.
summer = T > 40F
winter = T < 40F
all season = something like 33F and above.
Don't quote my numbers. But point is, a hurricane coming does not mean you need all season tires.

• Informative
Reactions: PianoAl
AIUI, "all season" vs. "summer" vs. "winter" tires just refers to the temperature at which the rubber is designed function optimally.
summer = T > 40F
winter = T < 40F
all season = something like 33F and above.
Don't quote my numbers. But point is, a hurricane coming does not mean you need all season tires.
That is an interesting point as I thought tread for summer was also different than for all season; that all season had better channels for wet weather. Is that not the case?