Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

enemji

Dec 12, 2021
USA
I finally pulled the plug and went with these MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S tires on my 2022 M3LR
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+Tour+A/S&partnum=345VR8PTASV2

Ordered from Tire Rack and installed at my local Discount Tire. Smooth process.

First trip of about 20miles on the same roads I drive everyday at 70mph resulted in 71db
For comparison, the Michelin MXM4 that comes OE produced 76db on those roads, and the Hankook Kingrgy GT produced 74db.

Steering is sharp & precise, unlike the Hankook Kinergy GT which was isolated, and heavy.

Some things are just designed better from the start, especially when they are designed for the Lexus & Mercedes luxury cars.

The MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S has the quietest tread design among leading competitors.[2]​

Enhanced ComfortControl with PIANO Noise Reduction Tuning combines frequency cancelling shoulder grooves and block chamfers with ultra smooth belts resulting in an exceptionally quiet ride.

IMG_8738.jpeg

IMG_8739.jpeg

IMG_8740.jpeg

I finally pulled the plug and went with these MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S tires on my 2022 M3LR
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+Tour+A/S&partnum=345VR8PTASV2

Ordered from Tire Rack and installed at my local Discount Tire. Smooth process.

First trip of about 20miles on the same roads I drive everyday at 70mph resulted in 71db
For comparison, the Michelin MXM4 that comes OE produced 76db on those roads, and the Hankook Kingrgy GT produced 74db.

Steering is sharp & precise, unlike the Hankook Kinergy GT which was isolated, and heavy.

Some things are just designed better from the start, especially when they are designed for the Lexus & Mercedes luxury cars.

The MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S has the quietest tread design among leading competitors.[2]​

Enhanced ComfortControl with PIANO Noise Reduction Tuning combines frequency cancelling shoulder grooves and block chamfers with ultra smooth belts resulting in an exceptionally quiet ride.
Thank you for your business, we greatly appreciate your support. We are glad that Tire Rack and Discount Tire made your tire purchase as seamless as possible. It sounds ( no pun intended ) like the Michelin is delivering on your expectation of quite.

Reactions: enemji
Thank you for your business, we greatly appreciate your support. We are glad that Tire Rack and Discount Tire made your tire purchase as seamless as possible. It sounds ( no pun intended ) like the Michelin is delivering on your expectation of quite.
Thank you. I have had a Lexus IS prior to my Tesla and it came standard with these tires(same size). The Tesla driving experience is now very similar to the Lexus especially on rough roads amd expansion joints. Tire technology makes a huge difference in the quality of ride!

FYi, I also have these tires on my Mercedes SUV for the last couple of years.

More feedback:

On the roads where the Hankook Kinergy GT recorded 72db, these tires are at 68db at 78mph Unbelievable

Last edited:
Reactions: Discount Tire
@Tethlaaaa @wws

Another update after a few days of heavy crosswinds driving.

These tires are just another level of luxury. Handles road expansion joints, steel plates over construction roads, potholes like a luxury car.

TripA is Hankook Kinergy GT
TripB is Michelin Primacy Tour A/S

IMG_8786.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: wws
These are the OEM tires on my wifes Telluride, in 20s. They seem quiet in that car and I bet quieter than my 2020LR ever was.

So far they are up to 45k miles and I don't see why they won't get to 55k miles. This car is gutless though, but ~24-25mpg on the freeway is decent for this beast. Closer to 26mpg if I am putting around at 55mph. Weighs 4300 lbs empty. I am considering getting them again when the time comes.

From an efficiency stand point they start the same as the MXM4 at 8.5/32" so at least that is a good apples to apples check.

What made you go for these tires vice what they are trying to feed us with EV specific tires?

What made you go for these tires vice what they are trying to feed us with EV specific tires?

I honestly don't care for "EV specific" tires. I have 18" Pirelli Sottozero 3's for Winter and one of them had the foam inside the tire come loose. It's such a pain in the ass to deal with. I swapped back to my MXM4's before winter was over because I couldn't handle the vibration above 100km/h.

I don't ever want to buy tires with foam inside them again. Just can't trust it...

Side note:
-The MXM4's definitely aren't as good at the Sottozero 3's in winter lol.

Definitely not apples to apples but I had these tires on an older Honda Accord and a Honda Odyssey. They were always silky smooth and super quiet. Excellent wear as well. Was waiting for someone to actually report on these on a M3. Seems EV specific tires are needlessly pricy and arguably not really necessary.

Thanks enemji for your report.

This tire may have just moved up to #1 on my list for my next set of tires.

In So Cal BTW so snow is not really a factor.

2018 M3 LE RWD