Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New England 2014 and beyond electricity rates going up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's easy not to notice, but CMP's Standard Offer rates include the first 100 kWh in the monthly service charge, while the TOU rate does not. I had thought to change to TOU at my summer camp because we use so little power during the day, but when I count the savings from the free 100 kWh/month, and my low usage overall at the camp, TOU didn't make sense.

Actually, the delivery changed beginning of September. It's first 50kWh only, effective service charge is $7.49, compared to $10 for TOU delivery. But they cut the delivery rate by a bit over 1/2 cent.

So has anyone looked into alternate suppliers? I've just gone though the list supplied by National Grid...from nothing but viewing their web sites I get the feeling they are all fly-by-night shady...none actually generate power, they are all resellers. Most won't even give you a price quote on the web. The ones that do don't show their historical rates over time (isn't that a requirement?). The "green" ones aren't actually green, they just claim to buy SRECs...but to what end I don't know.

If anyone can recommend a lower price supplier in the MA National Grid region, I'd appreciate it.

Is it a coincidence that the rate hikes are timed to take effect the same month Vermont Yankee goes offline? 600MW off the grid has to be replaced by something. All the power producers want to default to natural gas, but there is not enough to make cheap electricity AND heat houses. Supply of natural gas is limited due to pipeline capacity and demand has gone up with the closing of VY; therefore, electricity prices will go up. The question now is whether the rate hikes will be temporary for the winter or the new normal.

Is it a coincidence that the rate hikes are timed to take effect the same month Vermont Yankee goes offline? 600MW off the grid has to be replaced by something. All the power producers want to default to natural gas, but there is not enough to make cheap electricity AND heat houses. Supply of natural gas is limited due to pipeline capacity and demand has gone up with the closing of VY; therefore, electricity prices will go up. The question now is whether the rate hikes will be temporary for the winter or the new normal.

Yes, it's coincidence. The timing of the rate resets was set years ago.

Until we get a new gas pipeline into New England, my guess is that this is the new normal. Sure makes solar look better and better.

I signed up for Solar back in April via SolarCity. They're not installing until december. Glad I signed up for it with the rate hike notice I got. But beware that National Grid (at least where I live) is capping how much power I can generate so they limited the size of my SolarCity install. Transformer couldn't handle as much intake as I was able to generate. There's a big battle brewing between these electric companies and the solar companies.

I signed up for Solar back in April via SolarCity. They're not installing until december. Glad I signed up for it with the rate hike notice I got. But beware that National Grid (at least where I live) is capping how much power I can generate so they limited the size of my SolarCity install. Transformer couldn't handle as much intake as I was able to generate. There's a big battle brewing between these electric companies and the solar companies.
The utilities have a huge advantage in this fight: they own the network. It's going to take state legislatures and utilities commissions to move the utilities, and it will be a state-to-state, hand-to-hand battle.

There is no federal preemption available here, as the line between retail and wholesale power is very clearly drawn. The D.C. Circuit recently threw out FERC Order 745. Quoting from the court's opinion:
The rule seeks to incentivize retail customers to reduce electricity consumption when economically efficient. Petitioners complain FERC’s new rule goes too far, encroaching on the states’ exclusive jurisdiction to regulate the retail market. We agree and vacate the rule in its entirety.
Overturning this rule was an important win for "big power" -- the fight was led by EPSA, the trade organization of the independent power producers, who have a lot to lose if DR can be subsidized to knock down super-peak prices. The DC Circuit has jurisdiction over all the federal agencies, so its opinion on a FERC matter like this applies through the U.S., much as a SCOTUS ruling would. (FERC did not appeal this order to SCOTUS.)

I bring up this DR issue because DR and solar have a lot in common -- the major difference being that solar can result in net injections at a customer site, while DR is limited to reducing load. The rate-making issues are very similar, though.

Last edited:
I got this link in an email today: Natick Community Choice Electricity Supply Program | Natick MA I need to make sure the new provider is "solar friendly". It would be nice if they had lower nighttime rates. I will investigate that tomorrow.
As I understand it, Ed, the basic structure of your electric tariff is set by NSTAR, not by Natick Community Choice. The only difference is that instead of paying for power at the NSTAR Default Service rate, you'll pay the rate set by Natick Community Choice.

FWIW, I know the ConEdison Solutions guys, and they're a good team.

As I understand it, Ed, the basic structure of your electric tariff is set by NSTAR, not by Natick Community Choice. The only difference is that instead of paying for power at the NSTAR Default Service rate, you'll pay the rate set by Natick Community Choice.

FWIW, I know the ConEdison Solutions guys, and they're a good team.

Hopefully it works out, interesting that we're opted-in by default.

Interesting that Natick's negotiated group rate of $0.1331/kWh is higher than the one offered by the same ConEd Solution. I just signed up for $0.1095/kWh fixed for 24 months. This rate is available for all CL&P consumers. No contracts to sign and no termination fee. I can cancel or change suppliers at any time during the term.

Why such a large difference between CT and MA for generation side of the cost?

Interesting that Natick's negotiated group rate of $0.1331/kWh is higher than the one offered by the same ConEd Solution. I just signed up for $0.1095/kWh fixed for 24 months. This rate is available for all CL&P consumers. No contracts to sign and no termination fee. I can cancel or change suppliers at any time during the term.

Why such a large difference between CT and MA for generation side of the cost?

Interestingly when I look at their site it is $0.1265/kWh which is less than the negotiated rate!