Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New England 2014 and beyond electricity rates going up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Quebec Hydro can replace 1200+ mWh? Answer seems simple - run the power lines. Unsightly power lines for non-pollutive hydro power or burn more natural gas at higher prices. Pollution in the air is unsightly too.

How much more would it be to bury the lines? Probably a good idea anyway to avoid outage issues.

And Quebec Hydro can replace 1200+ mWh? Answer seems simple - run the power lines. Unsightly power lines for non-pollutive hydro power or burn more natural gas at higher prices. Pollution in the air is unsightly too.

How much more would it be to bury the lines? Probably a good idea anyway to avoid outage issues.
Burying long-haul high-voltage transmission isn't really a good option.

First, it's frightfully expensive: in round numbers, the cost would be 10x higher.

Second, heat dissipation is a serious issue. They'd have to have oil or similar coolant continually circulating along the route, and there's always a risk that the coolant will leak (causing pollution and taking the line out of services.

Third, putting the line underground can screw around with the system harmonics (in ways I can't explain but that the engineers take seriously). This costs more money to address.

Fourth, if something going wrong, it can take a long time to find and fix the fault.

All that said, it's not impossible to put transmission underground, just expensive and technically challenging. When CL&P did a big upgrade to the Connecticut backbone transmission, short sections were put underground to avoid the worst NIMBY problems.

Public radio this morning reiterated this idea of electric rates going up because the natural gas pipeline is limited. There has been an aggressive buildout of natural gas to residential consumers over the past couple of years here. Is this really poor planning on the part of the natural gas company.
It's not the job of the natural gas distribution companies to build pipelines for power plants to use; the power plants aren't their customers. And, as I discussed above, the power plants have very weak financial incentives to take on long-term commitments for gas supply. New England is missing an institution to coordinate and implement gas pipelines, comparable to how ISO New England plans electric transmission and gets it built.

I downloaded the suggested application and saw the current mix at 6pm was 28% renewable including hydro. A little misleading however when they include refuse in the mix. My layman view of renewable would be more like hydro, wind and solar not landfill gas, wood and refuse.
The definition of "renewable" is determined by your state's laws, not your utility, so it's hard to blame them for using statutory terms. It's really good to encourage burning of landfill gas. It's arguably the best possible "renewable" option out there. The landfill is going to generate and emit methane in any case. If it's not captured and burned, it will leak into the atmosphere. Methane is a potent GHG, far worse than CO2, so using it to generate electricity not only displaces burning of natural gas elsewhere, but it reduces methane emissions.

The same argument has been advanced re refuse and bio (=wood waste). The stuff is going to decompose and emit various GHGs, so better to burn it, getting some useful work out of it. There have been some studies that suggest this logic doesn't quite pan out unless the refuse/biomass reactor is quite efficient.

Robert,

The numbers I saw for Northern Pass when they were discussing burying an 8 mile section took the project frrom $1.2B to $1.4B. If they can do that on the most contentious stretches of the path, it seems like the best solution. It doesn't seem like it would break the bank.

Robert,

The numbers I saw for Northern Pass when they were discussing burying an 8 mile section took the project frrom $1.2B to $1.4B. If they can do that on the most contentious stretches of the path, it seems like the best solution. It doesn't seem like it would break the bank.
Let's do the math on that. The incremental cost of $0.2B for 7.5 miles of underground is $26.7M per mile. There are 179.25 miles of overhead lines in the planned route. If the cost per miles to underground the transmission is constant, then the cost of the project would be increased by $4.78B dollars, from $1.2B to $6.0B. So, it's "only" 5x the cost, not 10x the cost, but it's still a huge price increase that would kill the project economics.

Disclaimer: I consulted for PSNH and Hydro Québec on the Northern Pass project.

It's not the job of the natural gas distribution companies to build pipelines for power plants to use; the power plants aren't their customers. And, as I discussed above, the power plants have very weak financial incentives to take on long-term commitments for gas supply. New England is missing an institution to coordinate and implement gas pipelines, comparable to how ISO New England plans electric transmission and gets it built.

The definition of "renewable" is determined by your state's laws, not your utility, so it's hard to blame them for using statutory terms. It's really good to encourage burning of landfill gas. It's arguably the best possible "renewable" option out there.

I felt up to speed, on how managers of the wires and distribution (NSTAR, Nat Grid, etc) are not allowed to own generation (at least in MA), but "the power plants aren't their customers" stumps me, a bit, if you are talking about the generators? As an ingredient to their process, don't they engage in direct n. gas purchases?

Landfill gas just doesn't offer the material quantities to do things, like take a state to its 23% renewables mandate. Most landfills either fuel their trucks, or connect to the grid with a <10MW solution. This is part of the statutory challenge, and why states like CT recently modified their language to include imported hydro.

It's really good to encourage burning of landfill gas. It's arguably the best possible "renewable" option out there. The landfill is going to generate and emit methane in any case. If it's not captured and burned, it will leak into the atmosphere. Methane is a potent GHG, far worse than CO2, so using it to generate electricity not only displaces burning of natural gas elsewhere, but it reduces methane emissions.

Good points. Seems like landfill gas ought to get extra credit in RPS programs. Are there predictions for the potential capacity of landfill gas, as a percentage of grid demand?

I felt up to speed, on how managers of the wires and distribution (NSTAR, Nat Grid, etc) are not allowed to own generation (at least in MA), but "the power plants aren't their customers" stumps me, a bit, if you are talking about the generators? As an ingredient to their process, don't they engage in direct n. gas purchases?
On the gas side, there are owners of interstate gas pipelines and there are local distribution companies (LDCs). Nearly all large power plants buy NG directly from the pipelines through laterals they've constructed for that purpose, so the LDC is not their supplier. The power plants can either choose to buy firm transportation or not. If they don't buy firm transportation, then the pipeline owners don't plan capacity for them (per FERC requirements). To the best of my knowledge, no New England power plant owner has contracted for firm transportation. ISO New England is trying to invoke various tariff requirements to force them to do so, but it's grossly inefficient (from any one owner's point of view).

Let's do the math on that. The incremental cost of $0.2B for 7.5 miles of underground is $26.7M per mile. There are 179.25 miles of overhead lines in the planned route. If the cost per miles to underground the transmission is constant, then the cost of the project would be increased by $4.78B dollars, from $1.2B to $6.0B. So, it's "only" 5x the cost, not 10x the cost, but it's still a huge price increase that would kill the project economics.

Disclaimer: I consulted for PSNH and Hydro Québec on the Northern Pass project.

Yeah, burying the entire length is not going to be economically feasible. PSNH proposed 7.5 miles and the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests said it should all be buried. I would hope there is someplace between 0 and 180 where a compromise could be reached.

Very informative posts and thank you very much for the education. Seems like a shame to have hydro available so close yet too far so instead we burn Natural Gas.

Instead of a small scar, the society of forest prefers a slow death?

I have the Iroquois pipeline running directly in by backyard. They have a 50' easement. Never been an issue for me. Although I wish I could tap into it for home heating instead of oil which is my current heating fuel.

Robert - wasn't blaming anyone on calling refuse or fill gas renewable. I agree with the arguments being made. I just meant it wasn't what I think of when I think renewable (wind, solar, hydro).

Robert, it seems inconceivable that a natural gas power plant has no direct contracts with suppliers, that situation needs to be rectified, even if it means ending deregulation and putting it back how it was. Natural Gas and electricity have a symbiotic relationship, all of the pipelines have compressor stations along the pipeline, that mostly run on, you guessed it, electricity.

I was just cleaning up and found some "Mass Electric" bills from the early 90's (before deregulation), the price of electricty back then was about .09 or .10 kwh, not so horrible. I don't think we've made much progress, really.

I was just cleaning up and found some "Mass Electric" bills from the early 90's (before deregulation), the price of electricty back then was about .09 or .10 kwh, not so horrible. I don't think we've made much progress, really.
Not much at all, especially when you consider that $0.09 in 1994 is $0.14 today, adjusted for inflation.

Ouch , I agree that there will be a lot of fingerpointing.

Personally I would prefer NOT to get married to huge investment for Natural Gas: I think it is sheep in wolves clothing.
70% of Maine heat with oil, another non renewable resource. Been there done that.

As Electric Vehicle Owners either home solar or even community solar may make sense for us: The Nuclear Fusion reactor in the sky is not going to fail anytime soon.