Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car didnt pass Tesla inspection now Tesla wants me to pay more for another vin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Ordered blue LMY on 9/19 with $5150 discount.
  • Paid all the money on 9/20.
  • On 9/21 Tesla said the car didn't pass inspection and assigned another VIN# with a similar configuration but removed the discount and asked for an additional $5300.
  • Tesla advisor said today 9/22 that I need to find another car to buy or wait for the car with the original VIN# but I may not get the discount.
  • Please advise what options I have to get the car with same configuration and the discount that was agreed at time of order. Tesla already has my 50k.

You may be able to find another inventory car with a similar end-of-quarter discount and transfer your payment to that VIN. But you'd need to pick up in a week, and time is running out.

You may have to request a refund and wait until December to see similar deals. Unless you have another $50K to toss to Tesla for a Q3 car while you wait for the refund on the first one.

Reactions: vickh and cdub
Excuse my ignorance but what part on a Tesla fails inspection. In NYS it's lights, wipers, brakes, horn, tire tread. What's left? Besides I thought alot of those southernstates have the most minimalist of requirements if any to inspect
This is likely not a safety and emissions inspection like in NY. It is probably an internal Tesla inspection where the battery, computer, suspension, steering, etc. are validated. A battery that doesn’t hold a charge or faults when charging, or any malfunctioning computers would likely fail this inspection and therefore can’t be delivered.

Reactions: cwerdna
  • Please advise what options I have to get the car with same configuration and the discount that was agreed at time of order. Tesla already has my 50k.
The discount on an inventory car is for that specific VIN. You didn’t agree to a blanket discount on any car you want and Tesla isn’t obligated to give you one.

Whether they should or not is a different conversation, but Tesla often doesn’t do what they should. Your choices are pay the extra money or look for another inventory car.

Reactions: vickh and cdswm3
The discount on an inventory car is for that specific VIN. You didn’t agree to a blanket discount on any car you want and Tesla isn’t obligated to give you one.

Whether they should or not is a different conversation, but Tesla often doesn’t do what they should. Your choices are pay the extra money or look for another inventory car.
Yeah, I think this has to be clarified. If it's an inventory car, any discounts only has to do with that particular car with that particular VIN (and the deep discount may have to do with the condition why it failed even). If that is the case, OP would need to wait until they either fix that car or for another discounted VIN to pop up.

If it's a general discount, then Tesla would apply it to a different VIN also, but that doesn't sound like the case.

Reactions: ucmndd
You may be able to find another inventory car with a similar end-of-quarter discount and transfer your payment to that VIN. But you'd need to pick up in a week, and time is running out.

I'm in the same boat whether to match to another vin till month end or year-end, depending on prices. I know TSLA had a disclaimer that tax credits were going down in 2024 but I don't see it now

How often do they update inventory online?

I'm in the same boat whether to match to another vin till month end or year-end, depending on prices. I know TSLA had a disclaimer that tax credits were going down in 2024 but I don't see it now

How often do they update inventory online?
At the top of the home page I see "$7,500 Federal Tax CreditAvailable for new Model 3, Model Y and certain Model X. Reductions to tax credit likely after Dec 31." They don't say why the tax credits are likely to reduce. If I were a cynic, I'd say it could be a ploy to encourage people to buy now.

Inventory updates all the time, in real time. I had a window open to the inventory page that I'd refresh periodically. Around lunchtime I refreshed and there were no cars of interest. I took my dogs for their mid-day walk and checked on my phone (maybe 10 min after the last check) and found a bunch of new cars, including one with my desired config. I went home and bought it. It was listed for maybe 15 min.

I got a MYLR, blue, 5 seat black interior, $4120 discount. The good deals don't last long; you have to keep checking.

Reactions: vickh
At the top of the home page I see "$7,500 Federal Tax CreditAvailable for new Model 3, Model Y and certain Model X. Reductions to tax credit likely after Dec 31." They don't say why the tax credits are likely to reduce. If I were a cynic, I'd say it could be a ploy to encourage people to buy now.

Inventory updates all the time, in real time. I had a window open to the inventory page that I'd refresh periodically. Around lunchtime I refreshed and there were no cars of interest. I took my dogs for their mid-day walk and checked on my phone (maybe 10 min after the last check) and found a bunch of new cars, including one with my desired config. I went home and bought it. It was listed for maybe 15 min.

I got a MYLR, blue, 5 seat black interior, $4120 discount. The good deals don't last long; you have to keep checking.
The credits are likely to reduce next year because the law has reductions scheduled for foreign content. The LFP based cars have lots of foreign content given the battery cells are from China.

so day time any time but before 9/30? I did see a MYAWD for under $45K but gone quick

The credits are likely to reduce next year because the law has reductions scheduled for foreign content. The LFP based cars have lots of foreign content given the battery cells are from China.
I understand why change to the foreign content rules, but Tesla hasn’t said why, or even if, cars will be in violation of those rules next year.

LFP cars with CATL cells, sure. But the site implies all cars will get a reduced credit, without any explanation. But what do I know? I’m just another clueless idiot on the internet.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh
I understand why change to the foreign content rules, but Tesla hasn’t said why, or even if, cars will be in violation of those rules next year.

LFP cars with CATL cells, sure. But the site implies all cars will get a reduced credit, without any explanation. But what do I know? I’m just another clueless idiot on the internet.
The wording is hedging to the worst case (which lawyers would prefer) but besides from the LFPs, Tesla is also switching to LG NMCA for the LRs from the previous Panasonic NCAs. The domestic or free trade mineral content also bumps up to 50% next year, which may disqualify even the existing Panasonic ones, depending on their mineral mix.

Tesla's current full credit is based on averaging mineral content over a mix of packs, so if the same method is applied, Tesla may lose all of it.

Given the rules are up to IRS to clarify and decide, it does not benefit any manufacturer to be too exact about the nuances. That's why even before, automakers didn't announce the results until the last minute. As per above article, the Model 3 used to get half credit only.

• Informative
Reactions: tga and vickh
I was able to find another car from existing inventory on 9/27 for $800 more than my order price and I got that VIN# assigned to me. Tesla advisor has submitted my case to the Regional manager to get me back the $800 to match my original order price. I am supposed to pick up the car tomorrow evening. I will let you know how the delivery goes. I doubt Tesla will give me back the additional $800 I paid.