Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Buyers Beware / Negative repair process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never understood what aluminium has to do with it anyway. Do you know any body shop that actually does metal work? I don't. They simply remove and replace panels, nobody "fixes" a body panel, so what difference does it make if it's steel, aluminium, carbon fibre, plastic, or gummy-bears?

Anecdotal, but our first Model S received a ding on the trunk lid from a truck reversing into it in a parking lot. The body shop Tesla had us take it to (Chilton in Santa Clara, CA) repaired and repainted the panel rather than replaced it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never understood what aluminium has to do with it anyway. Do you know any body shop that actually does metal work? I don't. They simply remove and replace panels, nobody "fixes" a body panel, so what difference does it make if it's steel, aluminium, carbon fibre, plastic, or gummy-bears?

Um, EVERY body shop does sheet metal repairs and virtually all the bigger ones deal with aluminum panels all the time these days. Quarter panels, roofs, rocker sills, etc. are all welded, bonded with structural adhesive, or a combination of both (no "bolting on" for those parts). Heck, the new Ford F-150 is a an aluminum juggernaut...does anyone think the #1 selling vehicle in America is going to require "special body shops"...bwahahahahaha. The ONLY "somewhat" valid reason Tesla might have for insisting on certain body shops is the potential for high voltage danger in the event those components are damaged. Shops know how to deal with things like a ruptured gas tank, but busted battery pack or exposed severed wiring...not so much. Of course, as best I can tell, these cars are all getting totaled based on the outlandish repair estimates we are seeing for modest damage.

The ONLY "somewhat" valid reason Tesla might have for insisting on certain body shops is the potential for high voltage danger in the event those components are damaged. Shops know how to deal with things like a ruptured gas tank, but busted battery pack or exposed severed wiring...not so much. Of course, as best I can tell, these cars are all getting totaled based on the outlandish repair estimates we are seeing for modest damage.
I'm sure none of these shops have ever worked on any of the dozens and dozens of hybrid vehicles out there that also have high voltage battery packs...

Heck, the new Ford F-150 is a an aluminum juggernaut...does anyone think the #1 selling vehicle in America is going to require "special body shops"...bwahahahahaha.

While I don't quite agree with your premise I did want to point out that up until the F-150 going to the aluminum body, there wasn't a truly mass market car in the volumes that the F-150 is produced in that had gone to an all aluminum body. This is going to have a significant downward impact on the cost of repairs for aluminum bodied cars\trucks going forward. As the industry transitions from steel to aluminum to save weight, there will come a time when having a steel body repaired is going to be the expensive job...

Jeff

I'll add to the various lessons learned mentioned here to warn about the "hidden damage" issue. In my case, apparently minor front end damage with repair estimate of 1 wk and parts pre-ordered. Sounded great until additional damage was discovered after disassembling. Those parts (headlamp assembly) on back order from Tesla so repair ended up costing 50% more and taking 3wks instead of 1. Agree that this is a dissatisfier in what has otherwise been a great vehicle.

As a potential first time Tesla Model 3 buyer, things like this are going to have to change for Tesla to be successful in the mass market. People buying 35k cars aren't used to having to take their cars to special body shops and wait weeks on end for parts.

If you are using your own insurance (as I was when I was rear-ended by a uninsured motorist in my Volt), you are going to have to deal with rental car time limitations. Things get very expensive after your insurance rental coverage runs out. Luckily for me, GM has the whole parts network/repair center thing down pat, so my Volt was repaired in about 1.5 weeks by a in-house Chevy body shop who had Volt Technicians on hand.

Things like this in combination with the fact that you can only service Teslas at Service Centers make me more aware that I will still be buying a "special" car when I buy a Model 3. I am OK with that being an EV early adopter with my Volt. However, I doubt the average person buying a Model 3 is going to be happy with all the quirks of owning a Tesla (waiting weeks for a repair appointment, waiting weeks for repair parts, high repair costs, etc, etc, etc). People here poo-poo the Bolt as a Model 3 competitor, but one thing GM has going for it is its giant existing network of service centers and parts logistics capability.

I believe the model 3 is expected to have a steel body

I had an accident where a deer hit my car (and it took 1.5 months for the car to be fixed) and I don't think having aluminum body has to do with such a long time for repairs ....Body shop told me that it took forever to get the parts from Tesla.

So just because Model S will have a steel body will not make much change. Tesla needs to send the parts to body shops ASAP so repair can be done quickly.

Most body shops have a policy that once you bring it in they can't let it out until it's repaired because if something happened then they let you drive a damaged car, yadda, yadda. Lovely litigious American society. However, if the car is drivable you should be able to ask the shop to order the parts based on the estimate. Obviously if they open the car up and realize there's more damage underneath you're stuck but it's an option.

I had an accident where a deer hit my car (and it took 1.5 months for the car to be fixed) and I don't think having aluminum body has to do with such a long time for repairs ....Body shop told me that it took forever to get the parts from Tesla.

So just because Model S will have a steel body will not make much change. Tesla needs to send the parts to body shops ASAP so repair can be done quickly.

How fast was the deer going when it hit your car?

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :biggrin:

(and it took 1.5 months for the car to be fixed)

This has got to change now, not just "before Model 3." Hope the transition isn't painful, Tesla, but it's coming!

Most body shops have a policy that once you bring it in they can't let it out until it's repaired because if something happened then they let you drive a damaged car, yadda, yadda

Just before Christmas a lady clipped the front of my S2000 when she cut across the parking lot (thru the parking spaces). Took my car in for the estimate, then drove it home. Brought the car back once the new front panel arrived. Had the same experience after hitting a small animal when it dashed across the road in the middle of the night.

Only time I had to leave a car was after one accident where the driver door was pushed far enough into the cab of my old CRX that it prevented me from sitting upright behind the wheel.

***Update***

3 1/2 months since accident
2 months 1 week in the repair center
still no ETA from Tesla on when part will be shipped

How many months of waiting before even the biggest fanboy thinks it is taking an unreasonably long time?

***Update***

3 1/2 months since accident
2 months 1 week in the repair center
still no ETA from Tesla on when part will be shipped

How many months of waiting before even the biggest fanboy thinks it is taking an unreasonably long time?

There is no excuse for this, I thought Tesla stamped their own body panels.

I don't see that they have stopped the line because they have a shortage of panels. Whoever is running there supply chain parts inventory department needs a rude awakening.

Update - 2 months 2 weeks - zero progress. Hmm, I wonder what the over/under is on 6 months? I have gone through all the emotions... Surprise, confusion, frustration, anger...but I am now in a comedic mind set; it just funny (at least for the 29 days each month that I dont have to make a loan payment).

Update: 2 months 3 weeks - zero progrss

I bought a Model S in December and I am very happy with it (with the exception of navigation). However, because of this post and the situation surrounding it, I couldn't in good conscience recommend a Model S to a friend in Colorado who was ready to buy today. I told him not to do it and he's ordering a Mercedes instead. All Cash. Serious buyer and a sale Tesla just lost. Customers vote with their wallets and this is a disconcerting situation to witness. I can't imagine how I'd feel if it were happening to me.