Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery option 70D, is 105D next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think they will be building these brand new, state-of-the-art cells for the first time in the brand-new GigaFactory? Or do you think they'll work with Panasonic with the new design/chemistry, who will start building them for Tesla, whom will then test them and then eventually put them into their vehicles with the eventual plan to mass-produce them in the Giga factory?

No doubt there will be test samples, pilot production, long term testing, production ramp up, etc...

I don't believe that Tesla is doing that by slip-streaming them in to the current 70KW car.

No doubt there will be test samples, pilot production, long term testing, production ramp up, etc...

I don't believe that Tesla is doing that by slip-streaming them in to the current 70KW car.

My point is that there is no reason why the first batch of production-ready cells can't come from Panasonic Japan, prior to the opening of the GigaFactory. It would make more sense (to me anyway) to have the first production-ready cells come from a mature manufacturing site. If that were the case, then its possible that Tesla already has their hands on such cells and have begun using them.

Sure, when the GigaFactory gets rolling, they'll be able to produce a lot more of them and the price will come down, but until then its business as usual.

My point is that there is no reason why the first batch of production-ready cells can't come from Panasonic Japan, prior to the opening of the GigaFactory. It would make more sense (to me anyway) to have the first production-ready cells come from a mature manufacturing site. If that were the case, then its possible that Tesla already has their hands on such cells and have begun using them.

Sure, when the GigaFactory gets rolling, they'll be able to produce a lot more of them and the price will come down, but until then its business as usual.

No doubt. But to suggest that comments made about such future plans is evidence such cells are in the 70kwh pack today doesn't add up. Yet that's what folks (including the starting premise of this thread) are doing (note the title of this thread)...

vandacca said:
The Tesla Motors Website has been re-designed and a new 70D option is available ... There were discussions (speculation?) that Tesla was moving to a new battery cell that is slightly larger than the original cells... That would also provide the option to increase capacity, while keeping the weight the same (and everything in between).

airj2012 said:
Tesla has already said that they're increased efficiencies in their cells... I see no reason why they wouldn't have been able to make some sort of increase in that amount of time."If you take a 60kwh pack and replace the current 3100mAh cells with the newly available 3600mAh cells, you get exactly 70kWh.

Bangor Bob said:
"Efficiency" is the wrong word, cell capacity is the proper metric. I believe it was discussed in the Roadster 3.0 thread. Also the Panasonic NCR18650A cell is 3100mAh, the NCR18650G is 3600 mAh. We've heard Elon and JB say the Tesla chemistry is slightly different, but it also fits that a change from the A to the G revision of the cell would be responsible for the capacity increase.

anon_source said:
Transcript: July 2014 Tesla conference call

25:23 Journalist: On the Gigafactory, is the chemistry going to be the same battery chemistry that you're currently using or is that part of the discussions that are going on with Panasonic?
25:34 Elon Musk: There are improvements to the chemistry, as well as improvements to the geometry of the cell. So we would expect to see an energy density improvement

Folks are quoting all sorts of things out of context, including Roadster announcements and Gigafactory future plans. Evidence of this is in the thread title... people are speculating that a 105kwh pack could be imminent because of newer cells (the 85 pack is full of cells, so it couldn't be simply more of the existing chemistry cells).

There's no evidence of this being the case.

My point is that there is no reason why the first batch of production-ready cells can't come from Panasonic Japan, prior to the opening of the GigaFactory. It would make more sense (to me anyway) to have the first production-ready cells come from a mature manufacturing site. If that were the case, then its possible that Tesla already has their hands on such cells and have begun using them. ...

Seems entirely possible to me. Improvements to cathode and anode materials or electrolyte wouldn't necessarily require major changes to manufacturing lines. They might save the geometry changes for Gigafactory since existing factories are geared to make billions of 18650 cells.

I realized I should have provided a source. When our local service center had all these P85D to deliver in March I was joking with one of the folks there that this must be just like every quarter with mostly top of the line cars and his response was "no, this is the first month that the plain 85 wasn't the most frequent car we delivered".
So sample of one, unauthorized, and unscientific source.
Yay for data! Thanks for sharing that info.

Do see this article from the MIT Technology Review

http://www.technologyreview.com/new...ectric-cars-may-arrive-sooner-than-you-think/

The true cost of lithium-ion batteries in electric cars is a secret closely held by manufacturers. And estimates of the cost vary widely, making it tough to determine just how much lower they must go before electric vehicles with long ranges can be affordable for most buyers. But a peer-reviewed study of more than 80 estimates reported between 2007 and 2014 determined that the costs of battery packs are “much lower” than widely assumed by energy-policy analysts.
The authors of the new study concluded that the battery packs used by market-leading EV manufacturers like Tesla and Nissan cost as little as $300 per kilowatt-hour of energy in 2014. That’s lower than the most optimistic published projections for 2015, and even below the average published projection for 2020. The authors found that batteries appear on track to reach $230 per kilowatt-hour by 2018.
If that’s true, it would push EVs across a meaningful threshold. Depending on the price of gas, the sticker price of an EV is expected to appeal to many more people if its battery costs between $125 and $300 per kilowatt-hour. Because the battery makes up perhaps a quarter to a half of the cost of the car, a substantially cheaper battery would make the vehicle itself significantly cheaper too. Alternatively, carmakers could maintain current EV prices but offer vehicles with much longer ranges.

Thanks for the link. That bodes well for current Tesla owners. I can imagine booking a 10-minute appointment with a Tesla Service station for a battery replacement in 10 years. Might only cost $3000 or less.

This could become an excellent money maker for Tesla in the future. Sell the newest battery tech to vehicle customers, where range and battery performance are top selling points.
Then recycle the "old" packs from customer vehicles and reuse the slightly dated cells/modules in large scale stationary storage applications where energy density is much less important.

By reclaiming the value of the "old" cells and modules, Tesla could lower the cost of upgrading to the latest battery tech for their vehicle customers, while maintaining a steady supply of cheap second hand batteries for stationary storage customers.

This could become an excellent money maker for Tesla in the future. Sell the newest battery tech to vehicle customers, where range and battery performance are top selling points.
Then recycle the "old" packs from customer vehicles and reuse the slightly dated cells/modules in large scale stationary storage applications where energy density is much less important.

By reclaiming the value of the "old" cells and modules, Tesla could lower the cost of upgrading to the latest battery tech for their vehicle customers, while maintaining a steady supply of cheap second hand batteries for stationary storage customers.

Good idea! and Welcome to TMC forum. :smile:

Do see the talk by JB Straubel in SoCal energy summit. His notable comment,

"Tesla was not founded to make more electric cars, it was founded to drive a revolution in energy technology."

It is estimated that the 2017 Model S/X with 115 kWh battery is going weigh less and cost less than the 2012 Model S with 85 kWh battery. As the cars weigh less the 2017 model S/X will be more efficient than the 2012 because it will weigh less with the larger battery.

I may not be surprised if the electric
battery work becomes their main focus and they give up the car manufacturing to another company. After all, car making is a well contested business and someone can catch up with them, but the batteries are needed and not available (volume, improvements with time) currently.

"Efficiency" is the wrong word, cell capacity is the proper metric. I believe it was discussed in the Roadster 3.0 thread. Also the Panasonic NCR18650A cell is 3100mAh, the NCR18650G is 3600 mAh. We've heard Elon and JB say the Tesla chemistry is slightly different, but it also fits that a change from the A to the G revision of the cell would be responsible for the capacity increase. Presumably production capacity on the G cell hasn't ramped up to the point where they can supply all production yet? But yeah, I'd say a 99.8kWh pack (100kWh with slightly adjusted charge limits, or just rounding) is quite likely soon.

Some great stuff here, but this raises a few questions. We know that the S60 uses the NCR18650A at 3100mAh, but remember that the S85 uses the Panasonic NCR18650B rated for 3400mAh. So assuming that the V/i curves for the cells were completely flat, they're not but that's an ok approximation, we find that switching to NCR18650G for the S85 would result in a pack that ~90kWh not the 99.8kWh that comes from your comparison with the 3100mAh cells.

However, there are unconfirmed rumors of a Panasonic NCR18650C with a 4120mAh rated capacity at 4.35V(recharge) rather than 4.2V. If these cells are real then Tesla could create a pack on the order of ~105kW.

So I think that this really all comes down to whether the NCR18650C is a real cell or not. If it isn't then I see no reason for tesla to update the S85 for a measly ~5kWh capacity increase. However, If the 4120mAh supercell is a real thing I could definitely see something like an S105 in the near future.

As an aside. A 105kWh pack would allow for something like ~340 miles of range in the S105D configuration. This would put ~100 miles of range between the S105D and the S70D, which could be useful from a marketing perspective. So at this point I would say that an update to the capacity of the S85 capacity is perhaps slightly more likely than not, with a very large uncertainty around that assessment.

Edit: Also there's reason to think that Panasonic would be able to produce something like the NCR18650C in 2015. In 2009 Panasonic promised a 4000mAh cell to be produced in 2013 with a silicon anode that never really materialized. The NCR18650C could finally be the production of such a cell. This has the added benefit of explaining why the recharge voltage of the rumored NCR18650 is higher than 4.2 volts, as the silicon anode may have higher over-potentials than the graphite used in more standard chemistries.

Edit 2: There seems to be a good chance that I might be wrong here. It looks like there may be a discrepancy between what most people are using here to report battery capacity; some people are using the minimum cell capacity while others are using the average capacity. I look into it and see if I can correct my mistakes.

Edit 3:

The teardown from wk057 show the discharge curve for the batteries in the 85kWh and comes up with a 2.9mAh number meaning that it has to be the NCR18650A and not the NCR18650B.

attachment.php?attachmentid=77512&d=1428647886.jpg

This means that Bob's original thoughts are correct.

Last edited:
I mentioned elsewhere, but I'd bet money that the 70D is just a pack that uses 14 of 16 modules used in an 85 pack, similar to how the 60 pack was configured with 14 modules with fewer cells. This would eliminate a part (the 60-type module) completely and streamline pack production (either has the front two oddball modules or it doesn't). Perhaps it uses modules that use cells that binned a hair below spec compared to the 85. But I doubt it is different cells.

As for my discharge curve, I think there is a flaw in my test setup that would cause a lower voltage read. I'm going to retest after I eliminate the potential error in my setup and expect a higher Ah number. (mentioned this in the other thread)

I'm going to make a wild guess that the 85 kWh battery will be the only battery in the Model X, at least initially.

Tesla ultimately deemed the 60 kWh battery to be insufficient to create the kind of experience they want to give to customers. Elon's comments were that 200 miles + 20% buffer, or 240 miles, was ideal. A 70 kWh battery in Model X could reasonably be predicted to yield similar range to the 60 kWh Model S, due to extra mass and taller profile. I don't think Tesla wants to sell anything less than a 240 miles EPA rated vehicle.

It's my guess that the 85 kWh battery is the only pack that will achieve 240+ rated EPA in the Model X.

I'm going to make a wild guess that the 85 kWh battery will be the only battery in the Model X, at least initially.

Tesla ultimately deemed the 60 kWh battery to be insufficient to create the kind of experience they want to give to customers. Elon's comments were that 200 miles + 20% buffer, or 240 miles, was ideal. A 70 kWh battery in Model X could reasonably be predicted to yield similar range to the 60 kWh Model S, due to extra mass and taller profile. I don't think Tesla wants to sell anything less than a 240 miles EPA rated vehicle.

It's my guess that the 85 kWh battery is the only pack that will achieve 240+ rated EPA in the Model X.
Just a reminder that the Model X webpage was updated to say "Offered with multiple battery and performance options" (removing the 60 and 85 reference). Perhaps because they knew the 60 was going away and it made sense not to disclose that and hence the more generic battery options. So I still think we'll see a Model X 70 and Model X 85 at launch. And to quote Scotty, no bloody "A", "B", "C", or "D".

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder that the Model X webpage was updated to say "Offered with multiple battery and performance options" (removing the 60 and 85 reference). Perhaps because they knew the 60 was going away and it made sense not to disclose that and hence the more generic battery options. So I still think we'll see a Model X 70 and Model X 85 at launch. And to quote Scotty, no bloody "A", "B", "C", or "D".

Please reserve Mr. Scott for either 1) when there are problems with the warp coil, or 2) when the x is unveiled. Leave him in the bar with his Scotch til then.

Last edited by a moderator: