Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 60 or Used 85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for your input. Just to add some more info and answer a couple questions.

My commute to work is 17 miles each way and we have charging stations at work (though crowded) and a Level 2 charger at home so 60/85 is not an issue there
The four times a year or so we would travel, three would be to SoCal to see family. It is a 280 mile trip each way, the 60 would have to stop at two superchargers each way, the 85 just one. (One supercharger is 191 miles away which would be very tight for the 60 to make it on just one)
It's hard to predict, but initial thought is I would keep the car for approximately eight years, could be a little more or less

CPO 85 is out of the question. I got quoted $63k for a CPO 2013 S60 that would have been $79k new. It had 17,000 miles and obviously didn't have autopilot. I could buy the same car new now for 69k after tax credits with autopilot.

If you are coming to SoCal, just get a 60. I ended up stopping at several superchargers along the way even in my 85 because I'd rather make short stops than one long 1.5 hour stop to top it off.

Ed, I am in the same boat as you are. Deciding between 85 used and 60 new is killing me !! Knowing 85 SC faster and with my wifes patience on the road as well as longevity of the battery I might go with the used 85. Is there anymore data on battery degradation anyone know of for the MS? I saw the European one from the Tesla forum, but anything different or more extensive? We will go on road trips in the eastern part of the country where there has been an ever increasing SC network from Mass where we live down to D.C. We would travel to NYC, D.C. Acadian Natl Park, Chicago, ect. I feel like 60 is enough to get from SC to SC without a great deal of worry, about 100 miles between each. Thoughts.......

Stopping & charging isn't the end of the world, its not horrable in fact its good to stretch your legs & use the restroom, if you plan the charge while you have a meal or grab a cup of coffee then its almost a non factor if done occasionally, there have been several times where i met fascinating Tesla owners while charging & ended up chatting long after my battery was full.

Assuming the worst case scenario & your not hungry, read a book, do the smartphone thing...its not that bad!

I would pick a brand new 60 especially in California.

When you take into account the difference between a new SC-enabled (SCE) S60 and a new S85 is $7500, it's a tough call between a new SCE S60, possibly a less optioned new S85, or loaded but non-autopilot used S85 or P85.

It also seems that the thread includes charging scenarios. Not having the ability to SC takes away from the Tesla experience.

Scotty