Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New: 3rd row seats now 'standard' (9/16)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree it is unlikely to be easy. I'd probably be satisfied with removing the seat from the pedestal. Maybe that will be possible. Perhaps make a table to attach to the remaining pedestals.

What I want the option for is to cover the whole middle area for sleeping.

Not sure how to incorporate the pedestal into the hot tub configuration... Maybe some kind of fountain?

Of course it will be possible, you'll just need an angle grinder :eek:

I do like the fountain idea... with such works of art as the pedestals, you would have the equivalent of a mobile Trevi Fountain :p :D

It didn't. I think you missed the point. You're assuming it was optional just because it was listed under the signature items and Tesla clarified that by relocating the text.

If everything is going to picked to death in excruciating speculation it becomes no fun to post anymore, at least for me; I'll leave others to post further updates.

I assumed no such thing. I considered the possibility that Tesla showing third row as Signature and later moving that to standard might be reflective of actual product changes perhaps related to the non-folding seats situation. It is as plausible a theory as any, but I freely admit it is a theory.

You ignored in your response text completely me saying also this: "Of course it may be merely marketing working on outdated materials or making a mistake."

As for posting, as many have so often remarked to me, we get to decide what we post but not how our posts are responded to. Ironically, I sympathize with you on that point.

One thing that puzzles me is what the plan was if the third row was not selected (though I imagine there are other cars with optional 3rd rows that have this same issue).

Unlike the Model S, the seats don't stow below the existing framework (drive tunnel), they stow on top of the drive tunnel and that height is taken into account in creating the flat cargo floor. I'm guessing that some optional 3rd rows in other cars may have a similar fold and tumble and "stow below the flat cargo floor" system, but I'm not familiar with them.

With the folding 3rd row the hatch opening lines up with the rear tray which lines up with the backs of the folded seats and everything is flat with no lift-over for loading items.

If that row is simply deleted then we have a stair-stepped storage area with the tray even with the hatch opening, dropping to the top of the rear drive tunnel where the 3rd row would have been mounted, then dropping again to the floor of the vehicle. There is also the likelihood that the missing seats would leave a gap at the far end of the tray with nothing to close it off or attach it to.

Or, would the tray have been lowered to be even with the top of the drive tunnel creating a lift-over to get things in the trunk?
Or, would the tray have been deleted leaving a really deep floor with a hump over the drive tunnel (and a bigger lift-over)?
Or, the tray could be extended to where the 3rd row would have ended and squared off creating a flat cargo floor and a not-quite-flat (due to drive tunnel) under-floor storage area.
Or, ...?

flar: As a purely uneducated personal hypothesis I would have expected something like your last option. They might also simply have replaced the third row with faux floor for a flat surface.

flar said:
Or, the tray could be extended to where the 3rd row would have ended and squared off creating a flat cargo floor and a not-quite-flat (due to drive tunnel) under-floor storage area.

However, I'm more puzzled by how Tesla would have solved the separation of trunk and passenger area in the case of a no third row. The second row standing on individually moving pedestals lacks a regular kind of barrier between trunk and passengers. I wonder if it would be sufficient as is.

Would they just have relied on the moving backs of the second row or perhaps even offered some different kind of (even more limited?) second row for cars without third row? Or would they have provided a perhaps removable separator for the trunk and passenger area?