Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New: 3rd row seats now 'standard' (9/16)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it ironic that when Tesla announced that the 3rd row would be a paid-for-option, I was briefly disappointed to learn that I would have to pay more money for something that I wanted. Then I realized that in the grand scheme, it made more sense to offer it as an option because not everyone would want it and those people shouldn't have to pay for it. We've come full circle it seems but I think it should remain as an option (even though I plan to get it regardless) because it should be a minor change to Tesla and it would go a long way to keep the most people happy.

I admit, this is a trivial matter, at least to me.

Last edited:
I find it ironic that when Tesla announced that the 3rd row would be a paid-for-option, I was briefly disappointed to learn that I would have to pay more money for something that I wanted. Then I realized that in the grand scheme, it made more sense to offer it as an option because not everyone would want it and those people shouldn't have to pay for it. We've come full circle it seems but I think it should remain as an option (even though I plan to get it regardless) because it should be a minor change to Tesla and it would go a long way to keep the most people happy.

I agree, but also possible they don't have a design for the X WITHOUT the third row? Who knows. I'm in the same boat as you (was going to get them regardless, and always assumed they were standard), but I can see how some may not want them.

No. There is a reason why I say that. This is supposed to be a happy event. Why so many people got so upset for minor things that they don't even have control of?

Then maybe instead of telling people why they're wrong, you could help set a positive mood.

OK I'll say it then. No event in life has ever been perfect. One will have a miserable life if that's what he is seeking. Let's not be so easily PO'd by all the minor first world problems and enjoy what the great thing we have.

And I'm in the "I hope there is a 3rd row delete option." camp. Would prefer the extra stowage.

But I am very excited we have some pretty damn cool EV's to drive and I can't wait to join the ranks of Tesla owners! Hooray! :D ;-)

Last edited:
The new wording could just be a different way of saying that the third row is standard in the Signature cars. We really don't know what the production car options will be, since that design studio is not up yet.

The way it looks equipments listed under standard are included in the base model and ones under sig special are options for non-sig model.

Wonderful. But I do wonder if they suddenly realized that everything in the cargo bay would just be flying around back there if the third row option wasn't taken and this simply solves that.

Tracker has been updated. Note: Production Reservations holders should review their choice for the ventilated/heating/cooling seat upgrade. Signature reservation holders have this option selected automatically with the configuration change.

Wonderful. But I do wonder if they suddenly realized that everything in the cargo bay would just be flying around back there if the third row option wasn't taken and this simply solves that.
I would be seriously disappointed if they just realized that after years of testing. I would find it more plausible, that they are closely monitoring configurations and when they see that 95%+ of the people make the same choice they may make it standard just to simplify logistics (decrease the number of configuration options/variations on the assembly line). so the may have made this option "opt out" instead of "opt in".

I would be seriously disappointed if they just realized that after years of testing. I would find it more plausible, that they are closely monitoring configurations and when they see that 95%+ of the people make the same choice they may make it standard just to simplify logistics (decrease the number of configuration options/variations on the assembly line). so the may have made this option "opt out" instead of "opt in".

The flaw with that logic is that Tesla will not get this kind of information until regular reservations holders are asked to configure (because this is not an option for Signature holders).