Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 100KWh battery (almost) official for S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not going to happen. There was a thread sometime about swapping 85 to 90, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Price was ridiculous like $25k or something? Or to I misremember.

I had gotten a quote from the service center; it was about 22k if I recall. They offer you very little credit for the old pack. I expect it will be similar with the 100.

• Informative
Reactions: schonelucht
While it's interesting to think about the possibility of doing a battery pack upgrade, it probably won't make economic sense in most cases.

If Tesla doesn't provide much trade-in value for the old battery packs, the upgrades will continue to be expensive, plus there's a strong possibility that upgrading to newer battery packs may require more than just a battery pack swap.

Plus, as the car gets older, the value of the car depreciates - and does it really make sense to pay over $20K to upgrade the battery pack - on a car that may be worth $20-40K?

When the 100 Kwh battery packs are available, it would be interesting to consider upgrading our early production P85 and get over 15% more range. But our P85 already has almost 75K miles on it - and it's more likely we'll spend the money on purchasing a new 100D (with the same performance and 20% more range than our P85 - plus the newer hardware features like AP) to replace our 2nd car (an ICE) and sell the P85 when we can get a Model 3 delivered.

While it's interesting to think about the possibility of doing a battery pack upgrade, it probably won't make economic sense in most cases.

If Tesla doesn't provide much trade-in value for the old battery packs, the upgrades will continue to be expensive, plus there's a strong possibility that upgrading to newer battery packs may require more than just a battery pack swap.

Plus, as the car gets older, the value of the car depreciates - and does it really make sense to pay over $20K to upgrade the battery pack - on a car that may be worth $20-40K?

When the 100 Kwh battery packs are available, it would be interesting to consider upgrading our early production P85 and get over 15% more range. But our P85 already has almost 75K miles on it - and it's more likely we'll spend the money on purchasing a new 100D (with the same performance and 20% more range than our P85 - plus the newer hardware features like AP) to replace our 2nd car (an ICE) and sell the P85 when we can get a Model 3 delivered.

As far as I understand, the pack is pretty much a self contained module. It's literally a 15 minute changeout, with no other physical modifications to the car. But yes... there's always the trade/upgrade debate. I suspect that it would not make sense on many of the pre-AP/pre-AWD units. I've got a late 2014 P85D and, other than exterior facelift, there's not a lot of difference between mine and the new ones. So it may well make sense to swap batteries.

As far as I understand, the pack is pretty much a self contained module. It's literally a 15 minute changeout, with no other physical modifications to the car. But yes... there's always the trade/upgrade debate. I suspect that it would not make sense on many of the pre-AP/pre-AWD units. I've got a late 2014 P85D and, other than exterior facelift, there's not a lot of difference between mine and the new ones. So it may well make sense to swap batteries.
Tesla said earlier this year that there price for a battery pack is under $190/kWh. If we said that the price the cost for tesla for a 100 kWh is under $19k. Then add some cost for work and other cost it's not suprice if the cost comes up over 20k. Then you can of course always discuss how much an old 85 kWh battery is worth.