Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nevada EV Energy Rates/Plans...And You

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I haven’t lived here (permanently) through a summer, I can only imagine the AC is probably running non-stop from 1pm-7pm during Jun-Sep. Is that a fairly accurate statement?

Yes. In fact the AC is basically running more or less non-stop 24/7 from May through September. And most of the time in April and October. Peak temps are around 5pm and during the summer it can still be 90 degrees in the middle of the night, so the AC doesn't really get a break just because it's dark.

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll just stick to the normal energy plan. I wish NV Energy would offer slightly lower rates on the normal plan during off hours, if the intent is to reduce demand during peak hours.

Took delivery of my Model X in late March 2016 and was reluctant to switch to the TOU plans as well, but I finally did two years later. And, I am so glad I did!

Attached is the letter I received from NVEnergy showing my 12-month savings comparison. Almost $2,000 in one year!

This was not without sacrifice though. We have a home automation system that includes thermostat control for our ~4600 sq ft home with pool, and we would "pre-cool" the home from 1-2PM to 77-78 degrees and let the thermostat kick up to 80-82 from 2PM to 7PM in July and August (on the retired Option B). Was pretty warm for those 61 days but ceiling fans helped. Ran all pool equipment during the overnight hours, and, of course, used scheduled charging for my Model X. During the non peak hours and the other 10 months of the year, the rate of $0.048 to $0.062/kWh is very friendly on the wallet if you can get through the summer afternoons. Too bad that they got rid of the Option B, but the current plan is also pretty intriguing as it would also be nice to have a comfortable home on the weekends without worrying about a $0.36-$0.50/kWh rate.

Attachments

• NVEnergy TOU EV Rate Comparison.pdf
    661.3 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Buster1