Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA TT-30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our first roadtrip with our Model S we tried the TT-30 to 14-50r dogbone. Didn't work. Ended up charging at 3 mi/hr on a standard 110v outlet plugged into a 100' extension cord. Wasn't completely worth it, and we didn't really need to worry as there was a ChaDeMo charger nearby. It basically gave me peace of mind and a tiny bit of range.

It works :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 282
  • image.png
    image.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 234
I believe that unit is mis-labeled in several aspects. Looking at the picture, it is NOT TT-30, but rather 10-30. TT-30 is a 120v 30 amp outlet designed for some "Travel Trailers" (hence the "TT"). You can't simply re-wire it with a cable to make a 240v outlet, and this cable will not plug into a TT-30 outlet (mechanical difference).

If you do have a 10-30 outlet (an old style clothes dryer), that cable looks like it will make a 14-50 outlet from it, but of course, you are still limited to 24 amps charge current. The Tesla charger won't know that, so you need to override the charging to 24 amps, or bad things will happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSFTN
This thread may be dead but I just noticed Walmart does now appear to have a true NEMA 14-50 receptacle to TT-30 male plug adapter specifically for Tesla available online for $39.95 (do not confuse this with their similar RV adapter).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AC-Conne...-Electric-Vehicle-Adapter-for-Tesla/695372674.

Remember this is rated at 120V at 30 amps but I think you should manually limit to 24 amps. I may buy one to see if it is actually wired correctly. Wonder if anyone has tried this adapter?

This thread may be dead but I just noticed Walmart does now appear to have a true NEMA 14-50 receptacle to TT-30 male plug adapter specifically for Tesla available online for $39.95 (do not confuse this with their similar RV adapter).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AC-Conne...-Electric-Vehicle-Adapter-for-Tesla/695372674.

Remember this is rated at 120V at 30 amps but I think you should manually limit to 24 amps. I may buy one to see if it is actually wired correctly. Wonder if anyone has tried this adapter?

Haven't tried, but I did buy this one
AC Connectors EVSE RV/ Generator TT-30 Power to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter for Tesla https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHDRBBT?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Works, but the right angle interferes with the little electric box at some sites. And I had to manually set 24 amp as it defaults to 30amp. 24amp 125v doesn't set the world on fire, but it is noticably better than 12amp

We charge routinely using a TT30....or at least when we are on the road with the motorhome in the winter.

1. TT30's are always on 30 amp breakers.
2. They are always 120 volts.
3. Our max is 16 amps but that's related to the car.
4. I think the J1172 format limits max current on 120 volts. I have head conflicting numbers on this with 20 being the most prominent.
5 If you are at a campground and have the opportunity to use a 50 amp 240 volt connection (standard camprground 50 amp sevice) then connect your EVSE to that and you will charger probably 6 times faster.
6. We don't usually bother with the above step as the ED has a small battery and overnight it is always fully charged.
7. If you are camping with your EV always ask permission to charge the EV as the extra electricity needed to charge the EV was not part of the campground owners business plan.

38322702145_636bc36ff3_c.jpg

34808744525_b957cff1e7_c.jpg

]
34799975940_8ff1eb5d15_c.jpg

Ive gotten 6mph from a 120v 20 amp outlet (16amp charge rate). Without the voltage drop on the line, I might have gotten 7 or 8. Using a TT-30, heavier gauge wiring, should not have the voltage drop. Still, it will beat a 15 amp 120v.
I charge my dual motor Model 3 every night with my EVSEadapters.com TT-30 adapter (I had a 30 A, 120 V receptacle in my garage to power a travel trailer) and I routinely get 9 miles of range per hour of charge. TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 It pulls 24 A.

(I had a 30 A, 120 V receptacle in my garage to power a travel trailer)

If I no longer needed to keep the 30A 120V for my travel trailer, I would convert that branch circuit to a 6-30 for the cost of an $8 receptacle and 2-pole breaker assuming it was wired correctly with at least 10-2 + ground Romex. Again, I would have EVSEadspters fabricate the appropriate Gen 2 MC adapter. I use black magic marker on the (previous) white neutral to denote it as a hot leg inside the load center. Always use a licensed electrician yadda yadda.......

Be safe!

Last edited:
Btw, why the renewed interest in charging from a TT-30? They aren't that useful...

I recently wanted to add some charge while at Crystal Mountain in Washington state. There were TT-30 RV hookups, but I had to charge at half the rate. I want to be able to charge anywhere there's electricity.

So to recap, I can splice a TT-30 male plug, replacing the 10-30 plug for the mobile adapter. I will be able to charge 120v/20a with that.

Even in a model S? Is it really still limited to 20a? 30 would be better, obv. Still catching up on the thread.

I recently wanted to add some charge while at Crystal Mountain in Washington state. There were TT-30 RV hookups, but I had to charge at half the rate. I want to be able to charge anywhere there's electricity.

So to recap, I can splice a TT-30 male plug, replacing the 10-30 plug for the mobile adapter. I will be able to charge 120v/20a with that.

Even in a model S? Is it really still limited to 20a? 30 would be better, obv. Still catching up on the thread.

Gosh, the info here is over three years old. I have no idea what the newest Tesla charger electronics do with 120V amp limitations. Btw, the max you should draw from a 30A receptacle is 24A anyways.

Reactions: Rocky_H
So to recap, I can splice a TT-30 male plug, replacing the 10-30 plug for the mobile adapter.
Well, sure, you could build your own, but why bother? EVSEAdapters sells great stuff and has a TT-30 for sale:
It does say out of stock right now, but keep an eye on it and get one when you can.
I will be able to charge 120v/20a with that.

It's 24A. I have a Model S delivered in March of 2014, and that stupid 20A limit on 120V sources was already fixed and eliminated by the time my car was made. So that is only in really old 2012 and 2013 cars that had that problem.

Reactions: Evee