Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter not included anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m surprised at how many saying most people don’t use the 14-50. I never understood why people were paying $500 for a charger when you got one with the car.

A lot of people want to be able to carry that mobile charger with them just in case and have a second at home. So you can get an extra mobile connector for $300 or a HPWC for $500 and charge a fair bit faster.

To add to that, if I didn't have a 14-50 available and had to install a new outlet, I would probably spring for the HPWC.

Reactions: mswlogo
This is a non-issue for me. I have a bunch of USB-Lightning cables around the house, and they’re a commodity item you can get almost anywhere.

The included USB cables are not general purpose; They are specifically designed for the Model 3 phone dock, so you can easily put 2 phones in the dock in a one 1-handed motion. The cable is exactly the right length and has a right-angle near the end that fits the exact mold of the dock.

Just taking a regular charging cable that came with your phone doesn't work.

Personally, I put a Jeda 2 wireless charger in my dock so I don't have to use any cables in my car.

It better, or your were ripped off. 14-50 will only do 32A, Wall Connector will do 48A.

It won't do 48A with the same 50A CB which is what we are limited ours to because of other loads. We get 40A of charging which is nice.

But even 50A vs 32A does not matter when you charge every night. For me, an hour earlier charging completion does means finishing at 2 AM instead of 3 AM. Either way I am sleeping when the car finishes. It only matters that at 6AM when I get up, the car is charged.

FYI - for all people pending delivery of their Model 3. I took delivery on 5/11 (05/19 build) and the NEMA 14-50 adapter is no longer included in the Mobile Connector. The only adapter it comes with is the NEMA 5-15 (standard home outlet).

Also missing are the USB phone charging cables. I asked the delivery manager and he said they just recently started this to reduce cost.
*The second generation Mobile Connector has a max output of 32 amps when using the 14-50 or 6-50 adapter. Recharge speeds listed above for these two adapters reflects this current output.

So is it not possible to charge at the 50 amp rate any longer?

I wonder why Tesla is doing the 2nd gen plug? Do they want to push their own chargers for the long range battery owners?

upload_2019-5-13_15-45-25.png

I could swear the plug on my TMC was 14-50 and needed an adapter for 120v??? I don't remember needing an adapter for 14-50 i.e. it was the default plug.
There’s no such thing as a TMC, but if it’s a typo for UMC there is no default plug. You have to attach one of the adapters to it to plug it in. That’s true for both generations of UMC, and what makes it “Universal”.

There’s no such thing as a TMC, but if it’s a typo for UMC there is no default plug. You have to attach one of the adapters to it to plug it in. That’s true for both generations of UMC, and what makes it “Universal”.
You know I never really looked at it that closely. It must have had the 14-50 adapter already on it when I got the car, so I thought that was way it was built. Now I'm going to look at it when I get home tonight. I do have a 14-50 plug in my garage that it's using.

You know I never really looked at it that closely. It must have had the 14-50 adapter already on it when I got the car, so I thought that was way it was built. Now I'm going to look at it when I get home tonight. I do have a 14-50 plug in my garage that it's using.

Look at the cord from the 14-50 goes into the top of the UMC. You will see it is a block attached the short cable going to the 14-50 plug. This entire section is will come off if you give the cord between the UMC and 14-50 a tug. The 120 plug will be attached to another short cord.

Here is what the adapter looks like standalone and attached to the UMC. 120V is attached.
umc-2.jpg

Attachments

• UMC-1.jpg
    UMC-1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 28