Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Neighbors jealous of the Model S :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found that in person always works best. People stew over the written word. I usually just tell the person 'this is how I interpreted what you said or did / how it made me feel' & let them tell me that of COURSE they didn't mean it that way. Which of course they did. But now that I've called them on it, they won't do it again (and everyone gets to save face).

Hey gg, around what time do the kids happen to cross the street? Since I work very close to your house I figured I can drive there with mine. When the neighbors see another Model S, maybe they'll no longer find yours special anymore and return to their normal selves. :biggrin:

I've found that in person always works best. People stew over the written word. I usually just tell the person 'this is how I interpreted what you said or did / how it made me feel' & let them tell me that of COURSE they didn't mean it that way. Which of course they did. But now that I've called them on it, they won't do it again (and everyone gets to save face).
I suspect this is certainly the way to approach them, but. Can not help but suggest option B, with your wife's permission. Next time you drive by the husband, roll down the window, say hi, and then just ask him, "So how did she like it? ...Your wife, I mean? She didnt tell you? We went for a great ride earlier today and she really seemed to like the feel of the car. She didn't mention it to you? ...oh, sorry. Maybe you shouldn't mention I told you. Well, anyway - have a great day!", and blast all 1300 volts from those 60 kWh with pedal to the floor as you cruise on home.

And lock the door.
Okay, okay, Option A.

Hey gg, send them to this thread, if they use the intertubes, so we can invest some time with them. But from your past posts I'm going to assume you'll be buddies at some point in the future. In the meantime, since you are so close to several TM stores, they'll soon be seeing many more people who could pay you a visit!

We had significant problems with a particular neighbour, too long for this thread.
So as we were new to the area in comparison to the "problem" neighbour we organised a Neighbourhood drinks one evening before christmas and invited about a dozen of our neighbours. (choose a festival Easter is coming up)
The problem neighbours didn't turn up anyway and the neighbours surrounding them all complained of similar treatment and gave us some background which made us feel better and understand it was not us that was the problem.
In the end the "problem" neighbours moved, but if they do come to the drinks it gives you an opportunity to take the husband aside and have the talk as suggested by Bonnie and others.

A valid data point; you better believe this: a Chevy Avalanche and a Mercedes E-Class both from a few model years ago.

OMFG. So one's only a little less than the S, and the other (Chevy) is a lot more. Hypocrites (plus blind stop stuff). Wow, definitely not safety--pure jealousy or can't handle their kid's pressure.

My wife and I will tread carefully given this whole situation.

Definitely. Good luck and report back if you're comfortable doing so. Eye-rolling situation but may resolve okay, ultimately, with some finesse and if you catch them in a good mood. ;-) Fingers crossed for you!

- - - Updated - - -

If the neighbors ever do mellow out, offer them a ride -- but tell them the kid gets the front seat and the adults get the back. Because the kids have better manners.

This has potential, actually--"hey, you seemed interested in my car the other day, and your wife seemed confused about how safely we drive; maybe you'd like a drive to see what the car, and our driving, is really like?" ;-) Yeah, a bit passive-aggressive, but that's infinitely better than aggressive-aggressive like they got with your wife. . . .

Hey gg, around what time do the kids happen to cross the street? Since I work very close to your house I figured I can drive there with mine. When the neighbors see another Model S, maybe they'll no longer find yours special anymore and return to their normal selves. :biggrin:

Hay gg, maybe you can take this idea further and have a social afternoon. Would there be enough friends on here (with a Model S) close enough to maybe fill your street on a Saturday afternoon with Model S's? Even if it did not solve anything it could still be a good idea :smile:

Ok time for me to stop being sarcastic and put my adult cap on. The husband is probably cool. The wife clearly has issues. Either she probably forced the husband to back her up and say something, or more likely he saw that his wife was being ridiculous and quickly made up some crap to pull the attention away from her and stop the conversation from escalating. I think the latter because the whole '4200 lbs' thing and take it elsewhere is just out of left field. In fact, that's probably the something the wife said at home. The husband and son definitely love the car. They probably won't stop talking about it, and she is likely tired of hearing about it. The husband probably went straight home after the initial conversation, fell in love with the car online, brought his wife over to look at it, and she probably saw it weighed a lot and quickly tried to squash her husband from talking about it any further. The fact that he said 'wow that must have cost a fortune', means they can't afford it. He said it costs a fortune, she said take your expensive car elsewhere. The definitely have money issues. My guess would be that she drives the Mercedes, and he drives the Avalanche (do you know?). I think she wears the pants in that family. Do you know what they do for a living? She probably brings in more money than him. This probably brings a lot of tension and stress in their family. She probably feels that her husband is lacking in more ways than one, and extremely jealous of you and your wife. She's also probably got some sort of anxiety issue too (could be manic or something). Obviously, that's all speculation, my opinion.

So what I would do is talk to the husband, like others have said above. Find out (if you don't know already), who drives what car . When the wife isn't home, go over and talk to the husband about it and explain that you're wife is really upset about what was said. Put your fake smile on and ask him politely if there is anything they've done to upset them. If you want to kiss a$$ bring him over a 6-pack and (again with a fake smile), apologize and say you're sorry if you've done anything to offend them. Basically it's the whole reverse psychology thing. By telling them that YOU'RE sorry, it's more likely to trigger a positive response on his end, and him apologizing for his wife's actions, explaining why she did it (and if he's chill, if he things some sort of bond might come out of this from the 6-pack, he might even go as far as saying that she's a little coo-coo).

And if that doesn't work, and he end's up just being an ass, then just flip him the finger and tell him his wife's an ugly certifiably insane piece of trash and come prepared for some fisticuffs. ;)

gg - it is really their problem. They have issues and they are immature and idiotic. Life is too short to worry about these kinds of people. Let them stress out about it. You deserve what you and your wife worked for and enjoy it. My thoughts - I pick the kind of people I want to be friends with. They don't deserve you. Too bad they couldn't be happier for you guys. I wouldn't spend a minute trying to change them.

gg ... you're a good guy. Those of us who have spent time with you know what a good guy you are. Humble. You have never posted anything that would indicate otherwise. Always polite, always encouraging to people. And we've watched you go from wanting a Model S to actually taking delivery. And I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

Obviously, we're all speculating as to what caused this with only a snapshot of information. I think the best thing I read in all the advice offered is 'this is not about you'. The family (all of them) clearly has issues, clearly needs some help. Their problems remain whether or not you drive by with a Model S.

It isn't your problem to solve. However, you and your family do need to continue living near them, so anything you can do to lower the tension is worth it. 'You don't need to be right, you need to be happy'. In this case, I think all the advice to talk to the husband separately, in a friendly manner, is the best first step. I suspect that will lower the tension. I'm sure they're all embarrassed by their bad behavior. (I hope!) You'll find the right words to let him know how uncomfortable your family feels now.

I wouldn't go so far as to psychoanalyze why there is tension in the house. Maybe the wife is batsh*t crazy, maybe not. Maybe the husband is the one, maybe not. Maybe the kid runs in the house daily and says, 'those people just tried to run me over again!', wanting a little attention. There is no way to know what is happening inside. And you don't need to know. You just need to not tense up as you approach their house, wondering what they're going to spit out next.

You didn't cause this and just really sorry that they're tarnishing a little of the excitement of finally getting the car you've waited so long to get. We don't like them.

Thanks, Bonnie. Great perspective. My wife and I were discussing this last night and were leaning towards ignoring them for now and keeping a low profile (as we already were - there has been zero Tesla Time on our street). I'll see if the guy appears open to rapprochement a bit later.