Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative attitudes towards the Model S in Seattle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone is going off on you because of the cost of the car - it isn't because it's a Tesla Model S. They'll have issues with anything awesome and expensive. I also think they are very mis-informed because we are basically helping finance making this technology more affordable for a wider audience.

people who think this is a car for the 1% haven't bothered to understand or contemplate that at the end of the day this is about the same as a BMW or Lexus payment. and those are hardly 1% cars.
Heh, those are 1% cars. Keep in mind global 1% household income threshold is $34k/yr per capita.

I see a lot of positive vibes around Seattle for Tesla owners, from observation and owner friends' remarks. But don't drive one around yet so can't talk first hand.

By the way, the recent Tesla fire in Kent has lead to a lot of people I know talking about "the fire" and just how safe the Model S really is. Sheesh. I have been reduced to saying "what, a Mercedes or Lexus or BMW never catches on fire?". It sort of shuts them up -probably because I'm a little testy in my response.

By the way, the recent Tesla fire in Kent has lead to a lot of people I know talking about "the fire" and just how safe the Model S really is. Sheesh. I have been reduced to saying "what, a Mercedes or Lexus or BMW never catches on fire?". It sort of shuts them up -probably because I'm a little testy in my response.
I always say, "if they'd been in a Gasoline powered care they would probably be dead". Then I follow up with "there's a fire in a gasoline powered car every four minutes" factoid. That's all it took to open the door to further discussion of how unsafe Gas cars are. I'm happy to say, I've only had to have the conversation once though. I'm hoping people just let it go. I think in some cases it's simply coming from a place of envy and they get a little thrill out of raining on our parade. People can be pretty passive aggressive.

I live on the East Side and work in the tech industry here. I don't yet own a Tesla and there isn't one in the Arris parking lot either but everyone here would love one. I see between two and five Tesla Model Ss a day; I used to see two roadsters in Kirkland but since the Model S is out I now only rarely spot a blue Roadster.

Amoung my social circle the Tesla is awesome. I also play MtG and that crowd has a younger and poorer membership. Most of those guys love the EV. I drive an FFE and they like my car as well as envy my fuel costs and lease price. We have talked about the Model S, and though for most of them it is way out of reach, they appreciate the tech.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how positive the sentiment is towards the S from people of all walks of life, regardless of apparent income bracket. It says a lot about the car that so many people appreciate it's near universal beauty and timeless style.

:biggrin:
Remember reading some post here about a guy going to a concert in Seattle, and in the parking lot some lady went off on him.

If anyone gives you a hard time, just ask them if they have driven one--that gets them going. :wink:

Or ask them if they would like a ride!

85 kWh / Multi-CoatRed / 19" / Pano Roof / Textile BlackInterior / Piano Black Dash

Puyallup certainly is not in the Seattle/Eastside area, but this was sort of neat.

An area plant nursery was having a sale, so we went to look. A less than affluent neighborhood, property next door had two cars in the front yard in states of assembly or disassembly. The fellow from that residence strolled over and stated: "Never thought I'd see a Tesla in this neighborhood." We had a nice little chat.

I'm on the east side, and I've never seen a Model S in the wild (other than RobLab's when he showed his to me over a year ago and my own). Of course, that doesn't count those at the GetAmped event in Seattle. There are probably a half dozen of the Model S in the Spokane area (maybe more by now). I don't think there's another in Cheney, but it's a pretty small town. I've had nothing but positive comments from anyone. That includes those who obviously have minimum wage jobs as well as those much better off than I am financially. I've been surprised at how many people already knew about the car, although I've had at least as many ask me what it was. If there was any jealousy, it was hidden. I guess most people around here are nice enough that they don't express envy in a negative manner.