Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to jack my 2020 Model S Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need a little help here. Got a flat tire on our model S which is lucky in our garage. Did some homework and purchased a set of Tesla Jack Pads (pucks). So I scoped out the pad locations and got a low profile jack. I know to raise suspension all the way up and put the MSP in Jack mode. All pretty straight forward. Not sure how to pull off the plastic lug caps but pretty sure I can figure that out.

So here is my question for the forum. Where do I place the jack stand once I jack up the MSP?

Thank You

M

I.e., if you want to remove left rear wheel, you could jack up the left front jack point high enough for the jack stand to clear the left rear jack point. Model S has pretty long wheelbase that this method may not work but works for Model 3.

Peter

Peter thanks for vid on plastic cap removal. The vid showed a very familiar tool. It is an old time computer chip remover that I used way back in my USAF career. Photo attached. Took me about 10 secs to remove all five caps.

M

IMG_6458.jpg

Question for the forum. Is there anything that can fix a tire (sealing fluid, patch ...) when a thin piece of wire is picked up in a tire located at this position (see photo)? Should I go ahead and pull out or wait till I take to SC a 140 mile round trip.

Tires have only 5K miles on them.

M

IMG_6460.JPG

Remove the tire from your car, if you don't have a second car, have a friend take you with a flat tire to a local tire shop for repair if possible. You may not be able to drive fast or hard in this condition.

Peter
I agree it's worth the effort to take the tire for repair. They'll fix it if they can and you'll spend only $20 plus a meal at In N Out for your friend.

I spoke with Michelin and they highly recommended not repairing in the shoulder area on a heavy high performance vehicle. Said that only small puncture repairs should only be done in the middle tread area, especially not a slit. Internet research agrees with them.

SC says the estimate is $355 for a new tire properly. My hope is that the rim will not be marked up. Taking a photo just in case... So far the SC we use has be very good. Only issue it is a 140 mile round trip. So I will take wheel & tire only to them.

BTW I had a jack that fit the pad without a puck. Used a piece of 6x6 under control arm just in case. Jack has held for 18 hrs now and my appointment is for 0830 tomorrow at SC the tire mount.

M

tire repair_crown.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
I spoke with Michelin and they highly recommended not repairing in the shoulder area on a heavy high performance vehicle. Said that only small puncture repairs should only be done in the middle tread area, especially not a slit. Internet research agrees with them.

SC says the estimate is $355 for a new tire properly. My hope is that the rim will not be marked up. Taking a photo just in case... So far the SC we use has be very good. Only issue it is a 140 mile round trip. So I will take wheel & tire only to them.

BTW I had a jack that fit the pad without a puck. Used a piece of 6x6 under control arm just in case. Jack has held for 18 hrs now and my appointment is for 0830 tomorrow at SC the tire mount.

M

View attachment 874460
Is your rim damaged?

What's wrong with a local tire shop replacing your tire? Most tire shops can handle large rims nowadays.

Peter

M

View attachment 874460
was this a newly purchased tire from discount or something like that? I had a similar experience getting 2 flats in 1 week from 2 pieces of debris in diff locations. Continental has a road hazard warranty as long as you're within 8/32 tread. Not sure if Michelin has something like that or not.

The damage seems to be closer to the edge. tire shops may not want to risks and recommend replacement instead of patching it. When I first got the Tesla, I went to discount tire and purchased road hazards on the set, it covers damage like this (pro-rated) and includes free lifetime rotate and balance. If you purchase a new set from them, it's already included. NTB and others carries similar kind of policies

Reactions: Snerruc
Here is what I did. I put a new tire on wheel at the SC and it costs $330 this morning. They did a wonderful job of not marking the rim. Toke them a whole 30 mins.

They gave me the old tire. Plan is to have a local shop fix tire and I will find a used Sonic Carbon Slipstream Wheel and mount fixed tire on it so I will have a spare "just in case".

Thank you for all replies.

M