Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to change the suspension of my 22 MY in NYC/LI/Westchester, HELP?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. It was just an initial talk so I’m not sure about the actual model. I will definitely let my shop know about this one.

Btw do you have any idea on the Tiens EnduraPro Plus suspension? Price wise it’s significantly cheaper. Some YouTubers are saying comfort level it’s pretty good as well.
Sorry I have no experience with Tein on this platform.

I’ve been modifying my personal vehicles for the last 20 years. I did shortly run Tein coilovers previously on another platform with their Electronic Damping Force Controller and they were meh. I’m not sure that helps anyone here though.

I’m sure you realize comfort is subjective so take the opinions of others as far as you want. I truly believe that some platforms are just going to ride on the stiffer side due to their inherit designs regardless of what suspension you’re running.

Maybe consider upgrade to 2023 model which has a new suspension? You can take your wife to test drive.
Me and my wife think it is very comfortable suspension - not harsh but still feels sporty.

Also check your tires pressure, it means a lot for comfort, maybe lower it a little bit less than recommended.

Reactions: thefisch
Good advice to test drive a 23 with the wife in the back. Then afterwards you and she drive the same path in your 22. Make sure the difference is enough to warrant the expense before taking the plunge.

I just had a June 22 build MYLR on 20's from Hertz while our 23 MYP was in the paint shop. Right away I noticed a downgrade in ride comfort. After 20 days in the rental, when I switched back to the 23 and drove the same commute I could still tell a difference. However the difference was marginal, not night and day. See how it is for yourself in 19s.

Reactions: innos
I just took delivery of a ’23 MYLR a month ago (late May manufacture) with 19” Gemini’s. I find the ride acceptable, but bouncy. Not many people mention the bouncy ride on this platform, but that to me is the most noticeable feature of the “new” softer suspension. Now that headrests rest on the back of the head, my head keeps making contact with the headrests as I drive on a bumpy road. Perhaps upgrading to a newer model isn’t the way to go. JMHO.

I just took delivery of a ’23 MYLR a month ago (late May manufacture) with 19” Gemini’s. I find the ride acceptable, but bouncy. Not many people mention the bouncy ride on this platform, but that to me is the most noticeable feature of the “new” softer suspension. Now that headrests rest on the back of the head, my head keeps making contact with the headrests as I drive on a bumpy road. Perhaps upgrading to a newer model isn’t the way to go. JMHO.
I noticed the MYLR Austin built have different rear dampers compared to the Freemont built. Completely different part numbers.

I had the Tein Endurapro shocks (front and rear) installed a few days ago on my Sept 2022 build Model Y long range and I’m quite pleased with the improvement in ride comfort. Driving home 23 miles on Los Angeles freeways from where I had them installed (Parts3xpress for those looking for a shop in the LA area specializing in Teslas) my car rode noticeably smoother at 10 clicks from firm for the fronts and 12 clicks from firm for the rears. The best way I can describe it is it just rode more level with the pogo stick bouncing substantially reduced and a softer edge to harsher bumps. I may play with the settings on the front (they’re easier to access than the rears) a bit, perhaps 1 or 2 clicks softer. I did a fair amount of reasearch before deciding on the Teins. Given I wanted to keep the stock ride height (the fender gap doesn’t bother me) and I’m not interested in testing the car’s limits on curvy mountain roads or at the track, the Teins seemed to me to be the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: jetsurgn
I am also in the market for coils, and most shops have said Ohlins are good for tracking your car. Some say MPPs are better quality over Tein, but both offer better ride quality. So torn, especially when the MPPs have a good rep here on TMC, while the Teins are about $1k less.

I am also in the market for coils, and most shops have said Ohlins are good for tracking your car. Some say MPPs are better quality over Tein, but both offer better ride quality. So torn, especially when the MPPs have a good rep here on TMC, while the Teins are about $1k less.
HAHA! Good luck with your decision. It's good that we have a few choices, but...
Interesting that no one has mentioned Koni or Bilstein.

I had the Tein Endurapro shocks (front and rear) installed a few days ago on my Sept 2022 build Model Y long range and I’m quite pleased with the improvement in ride comfort. Driving home 23 miles on Los Angeles freeways from where I had them installed (Parts3xpress for those looking for a shop in the LA area specializing in Teslas) my car rode noticeably smoother at 10 clicks from firm for the fronts and 12 clicks from firm for the rears. The best way I can describe it is it just rode more level with the pogo stick bouncing substantially reduced and a softer edge to harsher bumps. I may play with the settings on the front (they’re easier to access than the rears) a bit, perhaps 1 or 2 clicks softer. I did a fair amount of reasearch before deciding on the Teins. Given I wanted to keep the stock ride height (the fender gap doesn’t bother me) and I’m not interested in testing the car’s limits on curvy mountain roads or at the track, the Teins seemed to me to be the best bang for the buck.
I
Thanks for your review of the Enduapro. I’ve test drove a 2023 MY and thought the suspension was much better. I came to a dead end trying to acquire the parts to modify my 2021 with the 2023 suspension. Now I’m debating to try the Tein’s or switch to a model s. I’ve talked to Parts3xpress and they would be my installer, however they are out of stock on the Tein’s.