Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to change the suspension of my 22 MY in NYC/LI/Westchester, HELP?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I have a 2022 Model Y Long Range with a 19" wheel and the ride quality of this vehicle has been horrendous. I'm coming from Volvo XC60 which drove really smoothly. While I drive I don't feel it much but my pregnant wife who sits with our kid in the back feels every bump. She's frustrated to the point that she's ready to change the vehicle. In this current market, it is a daunting task. So looking for a solution to smooth out my ride as much as possible with an aftermarket suspension.
  1. I've researched a little on Tein EnduraPro Plus and Unplugged Luxury Comfort Coilover suspension kits. Which one you guys would recommend?
  2. Not a DIY person. Any shop you guys recommend that would install this kit for me in NYC/LI/Westchester area?
Please help guys. The pregnant wife is very angry :D anything could happen really.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsurgn
Endurapro Plus is the easiest and cheapest. You don't want to get coilovers on a car that is going to see winter driving and road salt. If you just want a smoother ride without having to maintain or set the suspension, Endurapro is the way to go. It's a super easy job for the rears, and the front just needs the springs swapped over.

Per Tesla's own service manual, swapping springs and dampers on this car does NOT need an alignment afterwards, as long as the installer doesn't touch the control arm mounting bolts. (They shouldn't have to)

It's probably not worth swapping to the 2023 "Comfort" dampers - they're still stiff by comparison and have very slow rebound. The Teins set to max-soft will be a godsend.

Endurapro Plus is the easiest and cheapest. You don't want to get coilovers on a car that is going to see winter driving and road salt. If you just want a smoother ride without having to maintain or set the suspension, Endurapro is the way to go. It's a super easy job for the rears, and the front just needs the springs swapped over.

Per Tesla's own service manual, swapping springs and dampers on this car does NOT need an alignment afterwards, as long as the installer doesn't touch the control arm mounting bolts. (They shouldn't have to)

It's probably not worth swapping to the 2023 "Comfort" dampers - they're still stiff by comparison and have very slow rebound. The Teins set to max-soft will be a godsend.
Thank you for the reply. Do you have any recommendations for a shop in NY? I'm really not a DIY person and don't want to F it up.

No recommendations for NY unfortunately, wish I could help, maybe other users know of a good shop.

I heavily researched the Teins for a few weeks and PM'd with a few members of this forum who have them, all who were very happy with the increased ride quality. I just never pulled the trigger once Spring arrived since my MYP got a little more compliant with the warmer weather. Still on my list to upgrade... just haven't gotten there yet. There are a bunch of videos from Zevcentric on YouTube, including a bench comparison of 2021, 2023, and Tein shocks to show just how much quicker the Teins are than factory. There's a handful of "reaction" videos on YT as well.

HAHA...doing research, just spent 30 minutes talking with my DFW located shop that installed my MPP coilovers. (TexasTrack Works...they are serious weekend racers) He says the Tein products are good quality, durable, and have a great reputation. He has some coilovers on one of his cars (not Tesla) and has dealt directly with Tein by phone.

He recommends phoning Tein and posing the question: will changing only the dampers significantly alter the comfort of the MY suspension? Reading on the Tein website, the dampers have adjustable rebound, but NOT compression. I know from experience that it is the compression aspect of the MY suspension that needs softening. (The MPP coilovers on my MY are slightly softer than OEM, but not enough to convince MY wife, she still thinks the suspension is too stiff.)

fiehlsport: Thanks for the info. I posted simultaneously, had not read your post.

I'll love to know how the Tein coilovers compare with the MPP Comfort Coils. I know that regional road surface differences are a contributing factor in ride quality perception, so what works in NY might not work as well in TX!!!

Now, I'm trying to locate struts/dampers for my wife's 2019 AvalonHybrid. Sharp initial compression, followed by floaty, uncontrolled undulations. UGH!

I just spoke to a shop in NY - Fury Automative, They suggested MPP or Ohlins. Ohlins for more comfort. Tein is a good product but they are not sure about it too much. They haven't done any installation of that and don't want to take responsibility for any issues after installation.

MPP w/ labor ~ $3300
Ohlins w/ labor ~ $3500

What do you guys think?

HAHA...doing research, just spent 30 minutes talking with my DFW located shop that installed my MPP coilovers. (TexasTrack Works...they are serious weekend racers) He says the Tein products are good quality, durable, and have a great reputation. He has some coilovers on one of his cars (not Tesla) and has dealt directly with Tein by phone.

He recommends phoning Tein and posing the question: will changing only the dampers significantly alter the comfort of the MY suspension? Reading on the Tein website, the dampers have adjustable rebound, but NOT compression. I know from experience that it is the compression aspect of the MY suspension that needs softening. (The MPP coilovers on my MY are slightly softer than OEM, but not enough to convince MY wife, she still thinks the suspension is too stiff.)
damn, I was thinking MPP. I need maximum comfort.

I feel your pain! With 35k on my MPP comforts coilovers, I've adjusted them back to their softest compression setting, and I like it a lot. It's softer than OEM. (Hmm...I just did a quick day trip with my wife, and she didn't grumble about the suspension. Either she's ignoring it, or, maybe, it's soft enough for her?)

I have to say, though, I'm 68 years old, a few "sporty" cars over the years (early Audi S-4/VW GTIs), but NONE of them in the NYC vicinity, I don't think I could live with a Tesla anywhere near NYC. The suspension is just too unforgiving, even with the MPPs. That's my opinion, of course.

I'm not sure Tein can provide the comfort you seek (only changing dampers) but it would only be $1200ish, installed, to find out.

Good luck!

Reactions: mra1991
I just spoke to a shop in NY - Fury Automative, They suggested MPP or Ohlins. Ohlins for more comfort. Tein is a good product but they are not sure about it too much. They haven't done any installation of that and don't want to take responsibility for any issues after installation.

MPP w/ labor ~ $3300
Ohlins w/ labor ~ $3500

What do you guys think?
Ohlins, I have the MPP and its only MARGINALLY better than stock 21. You might want to just do the updated suspension swap.

Reactions: jetsurgn
Hi Guys,

I have a 2022 Model Y Long Range with a 19" wheel and the ride quality of this vehicle has been horrendous. I'm coming from Volvo XC60 which drove really smoothly. While I drive I don't feel it much but my pregnant wife who sits with our kid in the back feels every bump. She's frustrated to the point that she's ready to change the vehicle. In this current market, it is a daunting task. So looking for a solution to smooth out my ride as much as possible with an aftermarket suspension.
  1. I've researched a little on Tein EnduraPro Plus and Unplugged Luxury Comfort Coilover suspension kits. Which one you guys would recommend?
  2. Not a DIY person. Any shop you guys recommend that would install this kit for me in NYC/LI/Westchester area?
Please help guys. The pregnant wife is very angry :D anything could happen really.
Start by checking your tire pressures.

MPP w/ labor ~ $3300
Ohlins w/ labor ~ $3500

What do you guys think?
I think that your wife should ride in the from passenger seat and the child in the back in a car seat.

I have the MPP, someone else on here had MPP and then got the Ohlins and said they were better....The price was like 1k different for me, so I went to the MPP, which made it TOLERABLE, but still rough
I hear you, but I'm not convinced by a single example of "better." The shop that did my MPP discussed Ohlins with me, AFTER the MPPs were installed, and they don't think the "real-world" difference, on the road, justifies the $1k cost. They are convinced that Ohlins is better quality, but not much.

For sure, all of this is subjective.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I think you’re best changing the car if you want better suspension. If you don’t want to do this I’d try to find somewhere that sells softer springs than standard. Suspension will always be a compromise on this car unless you’re spending mega $. The harder the springs the harsher the ride, the softer the springs the more comfortable the ride. Do not spend the money on coilovers until you get a definite figure of the spring rates compared to standard. Go for the same spring rate as standard or softer if you want a more comfortable ride. I say the same spring rate as with some adjustments shocks you’ll be able to decrease the compression damping without changing the rebound And get a softer ride.

Depending on your driving environment the standard shocks should be more than up to the task unless you are throwing the car around and want better body control, which it doesn’t sound like you’ll be doing with you’re pregnant wife Inside. Then, adjustable dampers will come in to play to help you out.

One bit of information I can give you is the KW levelling suspension is definitely harsher than standard even in full soft setting. The KW V3 will be even harder than this, but the handing is improved. Again, all about compromise.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg

MPP w/ labor ~ $3300
Ohlins w/ labor ~ $3500

What do you guys think?
Which Ohlins are you being quoted?

If it's the R&T I don't think you'll be satisfied. Another fellow NYer installed a set of these on their model 3 with softer springs and ended up selling the entire setup shortly after.

I'm located in NYC (Long Island City to be exact). I'm currently running the Redwood Motorsports Performance Sport Ohlins DFV Coilovers on my 22 Model Y performance and on full soft they are indeed "softer" than my factory setup.

I can't make any recommendations for install shops as I installed everything myself.

Which Ohlins are you being quoted?

If it's the R&T I don't think you'll be satisfied. Another fellow NYer installed a set of these on their model 3 with softer springs and ended up selling the entire setup shortly after.

I'm located in NYC (Long Island City to be exact). I'm currently running the Redwood Motorsports Performance Sport Ohlins DFV Coilovers on my 22 Model Y performance and on full soft they are indeed "softer" than my factory setup.

I can't make any recommendations for install shops as I installed everything myself.
Thank you. It was just an initial talk so I’m not sure about the actual model. I will definitely let my shop know about this one.

Btw do you have any idea on the Tiens EnduraPro Plus suspension? Price wise it’s significantly cheaper. Some YouTubers are saying comfort level it’s pretty good as well.