Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to bring the Tesla in for service... remove mini dash screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on what you are bringing it in for service on. If it has anything at all to do with something electrical, then you probably should. Its better for sure to remove something that is obviously aftermarket and remove it from being a reason some item or another gets denied for warranty coverage.

People use "void the warranty?!?!?!" as if its something that happens to the entire car, but thats definitely not it. If you added an aftermarket suspension (for example), that would not have anything to do with warranty for issues that have something to do with the touch screen or the seats.

If you add a swivel mount for the screen however, and then have any issue at all with your Screen, Tesla can (not "will" but absolutely "can") not cover anything that happens with issues with the screen, but it wouldnt have anything to do with warranty coverage on upper control arms on your suspension.

So, if you are going in for suspension or something like that, you might not need to bother (although a tech might note your account saying you have aftermarket items on there, or might not). Since it appears you are going in there because of messages on your screen, I would probably remove it if it were me. It may not be at all related, but why take the chance they tell you "this is your issue here".

• Helpful
Reactions: BitJam
I would!

mini screen can be link to wiring or electrical! if the SA is a dick, GL!

I had a charging issue with the charge port. I install a power frunk. It’s wiring. I know they need to disconnect my 12v battery to work on the charge port. I removed my power frunk wiring before bringing the car in. Don’t want them to blame my power frunk to the charge port bc I added on after market wiring.

but again, I heard most SA don’t care. But what if!

On my first 2020 Y. My center opening door thing. U know , what everyone wrap. The piano black piece. It was off just a bit. I put a carbon fiber cover on it. SC refused to adjust it bc I have an after market part on it. Even tho it was just a cover. 🤦‍♂️

The mini dash screen was installed 2 months or so ago without any issue. Lots of people using the same screen here too.

Neither of these things have anything at all (I mean absolutely ZERO) to do with whether a SC might tell you any electrical issue is a result of that screen or not. "other people are using it" or "I installed it a couple months ago" wont matter in the slightest if they decide its "possible" that it "could" cause that issue.

You obviously are free to do whatever you think is best, but I would certainly recommend removing it.

Reactions: 455dan and yellowr6
Just an opinion and possibility a prediction on how this issue will proceed. Reviewing your many past posts of taping power, cameras, and assuming power may have a relay shut off I am betting the issue is your diy mini screen modification. If you remove it they will likely test all and find no issue. Later you will diy the screen back in and this issue will return insisting this is a Tesla issue. Gadgets like this Seem like a good idea until they are not. There is a reason the mini display vendor assumes NO liability to this modification. As with all gremlin type issues, the easiest starting point is always “what did I do last” that may have caused the issue. I would wager removing this gadget and monitoring for a few months you will likely see your issue disappear. Just my opinion.

Yelobird: (referring to the OP's previous posts) "... Reviewing your many past posts of taping power, cameras, and assuming power may have a relay shut off I am betting the issue is your diy mini screen modification."

I agree. If the OP's mods are (possibly) causing electrical issues, how could that possibly be Tesla's responsibility?

How about listing in this thread the various electrical mods that you've done to your Tesla? Your modifications may be the reason why you saw the "vehicle may not restart" warning.

I must be an outlier here, since I'm totally opposed to hiding any mods that have been done to a car. It isn't ethical to put the responsibility of finding an electrical issue on the tech and the manufacturer, wasting their time, rather than taking responsibility for modifying the electrical system.

Reactions: Yelobird
It isn't ethical to put the responsibility of finding an electrical issue on the tech and the manufacturer,
wasting their time, rather than taking responsibility for modifying the electrical system.

I agree, but we don't have any idea about the problem for which @randomwalk101 needs a service for?

I imagine, in the case of an electrical issue, that the OP might have already tested if the problem was related to the mini screen by unpluging it?

Look at it this way, do you want the very real possibility of spending the next two weeks arguing back-and-forth across an simplex application about the legal merits of US law, and likely get nowhere, even if you are in the right, threatening legal action, and getting completely frustrated and begin to hate the brand… or spend a few minutes removing it?

jmaddr: ...or....look at it this way: Do you want to respect the tech evaluating your car, searching for an electrical issue, when you deliberately altered the system, (possibly) causing a fault, and then removed the (possible) cause of the fault? By removing the product, you're not giving accurate information to the tech.

Respect has to go both ways. The tech needs to know how the electrical system has been altered by the OP., since the "vehicle may not start" is probably an electrical issue. It's not related to body/wheel/suspension/brake mods.

Last edited:
I agree, but we don't have any idea about the problem for which @randomwalk101 needs a service for?

I imagine, in the case of an electrical issue, that the OP might have already tested if the problem was related to the mini screen by unpluging it?
As stated, in this example none of us (I believe) have had an issue like the OP. What is different with His situation? Moded electrical component that is tied into a system by a third party supplier not designed to be hacked into. Seems like a simple trouble shooting solution. Remove the Non standard questionable component and any hack associated.