Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help finding an M3 charging kit longer that 24'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks:

My 220v 50A plug is across my garage and I estimate I need about 30' from wall to the car. I would LOVE to hear your suggestions on a possible solution. I am WIDE OPEN to anything that's neat, clean & of course safe.

Here is a pick of what I have installed in the garage.

50amp_4_wire_906129669.jpg

I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Mike

It would be nice to have a picture of your garage and plug location.

My first recommendation would be to try avoid any cable laying on the floor.

Best would be if you can have the cable connected to your car located near the plug of your car.
- In my case it happens that I have a cabinet attached to the wall behind the back of my car when parked.
So I attached the cable to the door of the cabinet. When I open the door of the cabinet, the cable is just above the door.
And when I close the door of the cabinet, the cable is close to the wall.
So nobody can hit the cable when walking around the car is charging.

I would recommend to replace the current plug with a connection box.
Install the 14-50 plug close to the rear of your car.
Use a conduit or a rail to hold the wires or some cables clips if you use a cable instead of wires.

Note: The Tesla charger don't use the Neutral wire, so you don't really need to wire the Neutral, but you still need the ground.

Reactions: DWdrum
Moving the outlet may not be too expensive, since you can likely have a new surface mount outlet installed where you want it, then run EMT conduit (the metal kind) to the old box, and use the old box to splice in the additional wire run. This should be cheaper and quicker than an entirely new run from the circuit panel to the new location. However, depending on codes (not aware of any that would be an issue, but I'm not an electrician by trade) and the physical layout of things this may or may not be doable.

Reactions: Watts_Up and KJD
The problem with an extension cord is that you will not have a ground fault protection in the extension, only from the mobile connector to the car will be protected, that being said I have used set ups like this on a temporary basis, not sure I would want it in a permanent set up

Reactions: Watts_Up
VERY interesting replies. Here is what I've learned and looking forward to learning more

1. One should not charge a Tesla if ones cable exceeds the provided 24" cable
2. There is no hard-wired solution (since Tesla has a proprietary connection) that exceeds 24' to support 220V charging

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
1. One should not charge a Tesla if ones cable exceeds the provided 24" cable

As long as the extension cord is properly rated for the amps you will be drawing (and the extensions three of us in this thread linked to are) then it’s perfectly fine to use it along with your UMC. Obviously this is not an ideal solution if this is the setup in your primary residence. You should look into getting your NEMA 14-50 outlet relocated to a more appropriate location so that an extension cord is not necessary and that the 24’ of provided cable is sufficient.

Reactions: DWdrum and Watts_Up