Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it be ok to charge with this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To make a long story shorter, I can’t really charge at home due to the cable not being allowed to go over sidewalk. I’ve been talking to an electrician who is installing a friends outlet. I sent him pictures of my panel and he said I can use the dryer plug to charge. I’ve decided I’m going to try this and sit there with the car for an hour or two while it charges to avoid the HOA giving me a problem with the cable and sidewalk. The electrician said to order this… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SHWLP8S?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_BWAZ6YWRK9MGQ37K0XK4 but since I knew I’d need a longer cable, I ordered this… https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2H4N5X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question Is, will this be safe? From what I’ve read I’d need to set the car to draw only 24 amps but the electrician never mentioned that so now I’m not sure I trust him at all.

Posted picture of panel below. Dryer outlet is on the bottom right. Any replies are appreciated!

8F29C665-9A2F-4F56-A07D-352F22822535.jpeg

So, old dryer plugs aren't the best things to be continually plugging and unplugging a cord into/out of. Eventually, the spring contacts get weak (or are weak already) and you'll end up with poor contact issues, eventual heat buildup and a fried receptacle.

How long are you planning on being at this house?

Is this panel indoors (garage or other) or outdoors?

Yeah, your solution will work if you need an extra 10' from what the Mobile Connector gives you, with the caveats above.

My inclination would be to install a Tesla Wall Charger. On the right side of the panel, you can combine those 4 20A breakers into two dual 20A breakers (like the dual 15s you have now), giving you an extra space for a breaker for your EVSE.

Incidentally, the wire gauge for that second 50A breaker from the top left looks suspiciously small. What does it power?

And where are the ground wires? Is the house so old as to only have two wire receptacles?

So, old dryer plugs aren't the best things to be continually plugging and unplugging a cord into/out of. Eventually, the spring contacts get weak (or are weak already) and you'll end up with poor contact issues, eventual heat buildup and a fried receptacle.

How long are you planning on being at this house?

Is this panel indoors (garage or other) or outdoors?

Yeah, your solution will work if you need an extra 10' from what the Mobile Connector gives you, with the caveats above.

My inclination would be to install a Tesla Wall Charger. On the right side of the panel, you can combine those 4 20A breakers into two dual 20A breakers (like the dual 15s you have now), giving you an extra space for a breaker for your EVSE.

Incidentally, the wire gauge for that second 50A breaker from the top left looks suspiciously small. What does it power?

And where are the ground wires? Is the house so old as to only have two wire receptacles?
Plan to be here for a while. I figured I’d try this out as it’s the least expense and if it works out I will have a dedicated 240v plug installed or maybe even the Tesla wall connector. My landlord is also planning to replace the panel. I have no idea what that 50A breaker is powering but I can test it out by turning off the breaker. The panel is on an outside patio behind two wooden doors. No idea about ground wires. I think the house is around 30-40 years old.

I would second what was said about extension cords not being the best solution.

With that warning in mind a slightly less bad solution would be to use a cord with a 10-30 on both ends like this.
https://www.amazon.com/M1A2-Extensi...xtension+cord+12+gauge&qid=1678057210&sr=8-17

Then buy the proper tesla adapter for the 10-30 outlet. The advantage with this option is the Tesla mobile connector will automatically set the charge rate to 24 amps for the 30 amp outlet like it should. This keeps things a little safer that way.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

Plan to be here for a while. I figured I’d try this out as it’s the least expense and if it works out I will have a dedicated 240v plug installed or maybe even the Tesla wall connector. My landlord is also planning to replace the panel. I have no idea what that 50A breaker is powering but I can test it out by turning off the breaker. The panel is on an outside patio behind two wooden doors. No idea about ground wires. I think the house is around 30-40 years old.

On the ground wires, do your inside receptacles look like this:

1678058351064.png

Or like this:

1678058385701.png

So the panel (and plugs) are shielded from the rain?

You can get a dryer buddy thingy which allows you to share the dryer receptacle without having to plug and plug things when you want to charge the car:

Reactions: LittleLebowski

View attachment 914243

Or like this:

View attachment 914244

You can get a dryer buddy thingy which allows you to share the dryer receptacle without having to plug and plug things when you want to charge the car:

Definitely the second picture. Yes the panel is shielded from rain. I will return the extension cord I bought and get a 10-30 on both ends and the Tesla adapter as suggested above. The dryer buddy also sounds like a great idea to avoid plugging and unplugging. The only thing is, all that will be useless once I have a dedicated outlet installed right?

View attachment 914243

Or like this:

View attachment 914244

Would this work? https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-L-P...9045&sprefix=dryer+buddy+tesla,aps,117&sr=8-2

Everything else I see on Amazon when I search dryer buddy is like $200+.

It will work until you make the mistake of charging your car while the dryer is operating. And since you are charging during the day, then it is more possible to make that mistake. Then hopefully the breaker trips. The dryer buddies are safer since they cut power to the car when the dryer turns on.

Definitely the second picture. Yes the panel is shielded from rain. I will return the extension cord I bought and get a 10-30 on both ends and the Tesla adapter as suggested above. The dryer buddy also sounds like a great idea to avoid plugging and unplugging. The only thing is, all that will be useless once I have a dedicated outlet installed right?
The dryer buddy will be useless when you get a dedicated outlet, yes. Maybe you can sell it on eBay or buy a used one there.

It will work until you make the mistake of charging your car while the dryer is operating. And since you are charging during the day, then it is more possible to make that mistake. Then hopefully the breaker trips. The dryer buddies are safer since they cut power to the car when the dryer turns on.
I have absolutely no worry of the dryer being turned on while charging since I will literally be right there monitoring the car while it charges. If that’s the only concern, I’d rather save a couple hundred dollars especially since I probably will install a more permanent solution soon. Thank you.

Reactions: Cosmacelf

I use a splitter very similar to this to charge from the dryer plug at my parent's house. I leave the splitter plugged in when I leave. I use it as a "sacrificial" receptacle so I don't wear out the wall receptacle.

To make a long story shorter, I can’t really charge at home due to the cable not being allowed to go over sidewalk. I’ve been talking to an electrician who is installing a friends outlet. I sent him pictures of my panel and he said I can use the dryer plug to charge. I’ve decided I’m going to try this and sit there with the car for an hour or two while it charges to avoid the HOA giving me a problem with the cable and sidewalk. The electrician said to order this… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SHWLP8S?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_BWAZ6YWRK9MGQ37K0XK4 but since I knew I’d need a longer cable, I ordered this… https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2H4N5X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question Is, will this be safe? From what I’ve read I’d need to set the car to draw only 24 amps but the electrician never mentioned that so now I’m not sure I trust him at all.

Posted picture of panel below. Dryer outlet is on the bottom right. Any replies are appreciated!

View attachment 914191
I'm visiting in South Florida and I was surprised at how many Level 3 chargers are in Florida. I charge regularly at the WPB Service area on the Florida Turnpike that has both Tesla chargers and 350kWh FPL Evolution chargers. They require the CC1 adapter.Why don't you use Level 3 chargers? Much faster than Level 2 240v chargers

Attachments

• Tesla FPL 350 kwh Chargers IMG_9440.JPG
    Tesla FPL 350 kwh Chargers IMG_9440.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Tesla CC1 IMG_9435.PNG
    Tesla CC1 IMG_9435.PNG
    367.5 KB · Views: 47
As already mentioned, the more correct approach would be to use Tesla 10-30 adapter instead of extension cord to 14-50: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters
If later you plan to install a dedicated outlet/charger - then probably you can use a temporary solution with the extension cord. The only risk you have if you forget to put 24A in the car, or if there will be a glitch and car reset 24A to 40A - your 30A breaker will tip off.

As already mentioned, the more correct approach would be to use Tesla 10-30 adapter instead of extension cord to 14-50: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters
If later you plan to install a dedicated outlet/charger - then probably you can use a temporary solution with the extension cord. The only risk you have if you forget to put 24A in the car, or if there will be a glitch and car reset 24A to 40A - your 30A breaker will tip off.
This is definitely what I plan to do. I picked up my car yesterday and totally forgot to ask if they had them at the service center. Do you know if they come back in stock often?