Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice on allstate declaring my bumper/panel damage totaled!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I naively thought that I could just go third party and contact the other guy's insurance (Allstate) and get made whole without having to deal with my insurance, as the other guy admitted fault in writing by leaving a note. The 20K estimate come from the body shop I chose, and Allstate took that to declare it totaled -- even though their estimate was 4k. From what I've read, 20K isn't too far off for the bumper/quarter panel. I could see a way out if I had a friend who works in collision repair, but I don't have such a friend. Thanks to the advice of some of you, I realize that I would still have old batteries and drive train coming off warranty even if I did get it fixed sometime in the next 2 months. I'm the type who tends to drive a car until the wheels come off, so this has been a tough one with the car running so well. Part of me wants to keep it as salvage to let my son drive it -- in 6 years

I naively thought that I could just go third party and contact the other guy's insurance (Allstate) and get made whole without having to deal with my insurance, as the other guy admitted fault in writing by leaving a note. The 20K estimate come from the body shop I chose, and Allstate took that to declare it totaled -- even though their estimate was 4k. From what I've read, 20K isn't too far off for the bumper/quarter panel. I could see a way out if I had a friend who works in collision repair, but I don't have such a friend. Thanks to the advice of some of you, I realize that I would still have old batteries and drive train coming off warranty even if I did get it fixed sometime in the next 2 months. I'm the type who tends to drive a car until the wheels come off, so this has been a tough one with the car running so well. Part of me wants to keep it as salvage to let my son drive it -- in 6 years
You need to start over and contact your insurance company asap.

Reactions: dmurphy
Can't add more to dealing with insurance (a pain). As for a new Model S, as you're in Northern California, there is an excellent chance you could order and pick it up at the factory in a week or two. There is no real delivery, although the legacy dealers forced all autos to have a "standard" delivery charge in the USA even if you pick it up at the factory. I love factory pickup, as it eliminates any transportation risks and dings. I expect 99% of new car "dings" are done during transport.

Sounds like you have a good repair estimate from independent body shop, so that's good. Now let your insurance maximize valuation and explore options on fixing vs. replacing. Also, your insurance can facilitate getting into a nicer loaner car while you wait if necessary, charging it back to Allstate.