Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice: NEMA 14-50 Sometimes Charges at only 16a

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's the update: The electricians have been out twice and say the circuit is fine. I am charging this morning and when I checked after it had been charging for a while, it was at 16 amps again.

I checked the error log and saw a "Charge rate reduced - wall plug temperature high". I had just unplugged and replugged a couple of minutes prior, so I went back to the card and NEMA 14-50 adaptor cable was warm to the touch (not blazing hot, but I feel warmer than it should be). The outlet and the brick were both fine temperature-wise.

So, I am going to go buy another 14-50 adaptor and see if that makes a difference.
I'm assuming they checked the outlet too. But I agree, maybe a new 14-50 adapter is needed. You could try another 14-50 outlet somewhere if you could to see if it charges on another one to eliminate possibilities.

I'm assuming they checked the outlet too. But I agree, maybe a new 14-50 adapter is needed. You could try another 14-50 outlet somewhere if you could to see if it charges on another one to eliminate possibilities.
Good idea - I also thought of borrowing someone else's adaptor but my lazy co-worker (who just got her 3 a couple of months ago), doesn't have one (and still hasn't gotten around to getting power installed at her house even though I reminded her multiple times during the three months she waited for her car).

Since I don't know where to easily find another 14-50 outlet and right now my time is MUCH more valuable, the simplest path is to just get the new one.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Ours is a Hubbell
Surprised to hear you are having this problem with a Hubbell 14-50 outlet. I had the same message with Leviton after 2 years of usage. The outlet got hot and I saw the same reduction in amps and message. I changed out the outlet with a Hubbell and all was good, going on a year so far.
Hubbell does have a product warranty on their products, not sure if that applies to your case. Hubbell are considered the best choice for EV's currently.

So I stopped by the Tesla Service Center (Irvine) yesterday. Nice place and friendly folks.

One of the service guys was kind enough to go plug in and test and of course it shot right up to 32A. He did however point out that the NEMA 14-50 wasn't fully seated into the brick - it wasn't short by much, but it **could** have been the cause.

When I got back to the office, but SOC was in the upper 60% range and I charged up to 90%. I watched it as best I could and it never went down to 16A. I also went out and checked when it was getting close to 90% and the adaptor didn't feel warm (like it had before), so this may have been the cause (just your typical ID10T error).

I will be doing a full charge tomorrow and will see how it goes. I will be reporting back.

Yes, this is definitely a thing. Repeated plugging and unplugging increases wear and tear drastically
That's one of the things about this shared outlet: with BOTH of using it, there was a lot of plugging and unplugging. Today they installed a second outlet (separate 50 amp circuit) so we can charge at the same time (and minimize plug swapping).

Did you ever find a solution? I've noticed that our 2018 LR M3 is having the same issue. years of charging at 32A on a dedicated 14-50 outlet that we leave plugged in now only charging at 16A. Starts out fine at 32A, but when i go to check in the morning it's down to 16A and not fully charged after 8 hrs.

That's one of the things about this shared outlet: with BOTH of using it, there was a lot of plugging and unplugging. Today they installed a second outlet (separate 50 amp circuit) so we can charge at the same time (and minimize plug swapping).

Don’t have anything of value to add other than I think you work for an awesome employer!! It’s great of them to provide charging outlets and be this responsive.

Very cool.

Did you ever find a solution? I've noticed that our 2018 LR M3 is having the same issue. years of charging at 32A on a dedicated 14-50 outlet that we leave plugged in now only charging at 16A. Starts out fine at 32A, but when i go to check in the morning it's down to 16A and not fully charged after 8 hrs.
Having the charging speed dropping off in increments of 16A frequently means a module in the onboard charger in the car is failing. The 32A charger has two of those modules, and the 48A charger has three of them, so if it drops off by 16, that sometimes means part of it is failing, but the car can continue to use what's left instead of just quitting entirely.

just checked - i also got the wall plug temp error:

tesla_charging_error.jpg

:(

Well, we did a couple of things at the same time, so I am not 100% certain, but I suggest you do one simple thing: make sure the NEMA 14-50 adaptor is FULLY seated into the Controller (I call it the the brick) of the Mobile Connector Cable. When I stopped by the service center, they pointed out that mine was sticking out by about 1/16" +/- and that MAY have contributed. But that was discovered on the same day the updated outlets were installed, so I can't be 100% certain. I have not had any charging issues since then.

Reactions: Rusty1
I was having the same trouble over the last few months - charging going down to 16A and temp errors intermittently - after having used the UMC for last 3.5 years with my 2018 Model 3 LR. Called Tesla mobile service and he told me that the 14-50 adapter/ cable has a known issue related to temp readings using a bad adapter/ cable.. he replaced that and there has been no problems with charging since then. It was a 2 minute fix.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
looks like a Cooper.

So I did the unplug / plug back in last night and it seemed to fix it. Will continue to monitor, but it seems like calling mobile service for an adapter replacement might be the way.
Yeah, I did the unplug/plug-in thing several times and it temporarily fixed it for me until the next time few days later... have not had the issue since the adapter swap-out about 2 months back.

Pick up an IR thermometer, looks sort of like a gun and you point it at something, pull the trigger and it gives you the temp.
They are inexpensive and very useful, can use them grilling, checking tire temps, if you pull a triller you check bearing temps etc.

Puts a number to feels warm, hot or whatever.