Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice: Is this location in my garage ok to install a plug / charger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 371481

View attachment 371481 I will be installing a 240 plug soon in my garage.

Was thinking if the small area between the garage door openings would be ok ?

Will be using the charging unit that came with car and the install a hook to hang it up .

Please have a look on the photo and let me know if any others have done the same .

Mine is there as well. I built a couple of ‘wings’ out of 1” x 6” to contain the cable and keep it away from the tracking:

E9936822-3A47-4F6C-A9AF-B4193C661B41.jpeg

Mine is there as well. I built a couple of ‘wings’ out of 1” x 6” to contain the cable and keep it away from the tracking:

View attachment 371889

I like your wings.

I decided to not go between doors and off to the left side on the left door. I can charge 2 cars from that spot just as easy as from between the doors.

My friend went in the center like many have with an outlet. But he just got his free wall connector. We plan to mount wall connector between doors but we will build something off the wall perpendicular to hang cable.

Reactions: 03DSG
Thanks you all , for the advice , pics & video 's etc !

It it truly appreciated !

I feel so much better now, after reading all your replies, as my wife was originally thinking that it may not be enough room, or be too dangerous etc.

This is the first Automotive forum I have got involved with, and I am truly impressed at how amazing & helpful everyone here has been !

Starting out on this Tesla adventure has been very fun and rewarding so far , since we got our car just before Christmas.

The 'wings' look great !

I will study the photos and see what we can come up with, that will be safe and functional.

I will tell the electrician to make the connections so that we can easily turn it into a Tesla Wall Charger , in the future.
But will do the 240 volt plug from now. I have the Mid Range battery M3 .

View attachment 371889

Nice install! Well done!

Also, nice disconnect. Is it fused as well or non fused? Do you have a part # by chance?

I am curious why it is needed though.

It is not needed for 60a or below, and even above 60a I think you can just use the breaker lock off clips even if your panel is not in line of sight.

Nice install! Well done!

Also, nice disconnect. Is it fused as well or non fused? Do you have a part # by chance?

I am curious why it is needed though.

It is not needed for 60a or below, and even above 60a I think you can just use the breaker lock off clips even if your panel is not in line of sight.

Thanks. In Ontario you need a disconnect (or breaker box) within 25’ of the outlet/wall charger for any circuit above 50amps. Mine is 60 amps and breaker box is in the basement with a 75’ cable run to the garage so the disconnect was needed in the garage. It’s an Eaton branded Cutler-Hammer unfused straight disconnect:

1BF66387-C41C-4FD4-99D1-BCDD25F9257D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
Thanks. In Ontario you need a disconnect (or breaker box) within 25’ of the outlet/wall charger for any circuit above 50amps. Mine is 60 amps and breaker box is in the basement with a 75’ cable run to the garage so the disconnect was needed in the garage. It’s an Eaton branded Cutler-Hammer unfused straight disconnect:

View attachment 372015

Oh got it! Sorry, not US NEC code. ;-)

So what is the blue? An unused neutral? Is blue used for neutral in Canada?

Oh got it! Sorry, not US NEC code. ;-)

So what is the blue? An unused neutral? Is blue used for neutral in Canada?

The blue wire is the common. It is used in Nema 14-30, 14-50 plugs etc. where both 120v and 240v are used in appliances. Eg: Stove uses 240 for the elements but 120 for the Small appliance outlets/electronics/lights. Same with a washer/dryer. The Tesla wall charger only requires 240v so has the 2 terminals plus ground as the common is not used.

Last edited:
I considered this arrangement, but it would have resulted in significant cost to install (new sub-panel, 3-3-3-5 conductor, etc.) Instead, I use an existing NEMA 10-30 located on the garage wall. After six months of ownership, I wish I had spent the money originally and will probably do so when summer rolls around. I'm also thinking about going with an HPWC. My son and his family live a little over 100 miles away and I find myself having to disconnect then later reconnect the charge cable every time we visit so I can charge from his 14-50. And I don't really need it, but I sure would like to be able to charge at 48 amps instead of the 22 amps I get from the 10-30.

Reactions: eprosenx
No problem. Here's my install.
Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug

Was inspired by this:
HPWC between garage doors?

The Gecko hose clips make it really nice.
Gecko's Toes
A Tesla Organizer wall clip which I haven't installed yet will help as well. In the winter, the wire can get a little stiff.

Thanks , great information and photos !

I like the Gecko Toes, as will not need to make 'wings' in that case , to keep the cables from getting caught.
Lee Valley Tools has a location near me, and has them in stock .

Thanks , great information and photos !

I like the Gecko Toes, as will not need to make 'wings' in that case , to keep the cables from getting caught.
Lee Valley Tools has a location near me, and has them in stock .
They come in two different sizes. If you are installing a WC, use the ones meant for regular hoses. If using them with a MC, get the ones meant for air hoses.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Well my cousin is a journeyman Electrician, and he brought his crew of 4 guys , they worked on my house from 9am till 8pm.

They installed a new sub panel , and ran the wiring for the new floor heating in all my washrooms, installed new LED Potlights and changed out the old ones inside and outside the house.

Plus they installed the 240 Plug in my garage ! (so no more slow 120 volt charging everyday )

He installed the plug about 4 feet high in the space between my 2 garage doors , so is very easy and convenient to charge now.

I am very grateful, that he was super nice and did all the work (including the parts) for free .

All the time I spent picking him up from work and taking him to his apprenticeship classes , many years ago, has paid off LOL.

Last edited: