Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you heated your garage with your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have fully insulated garage doors, but lately the temps have been dropping to the low 20's and sometimes lower at night. My garage is currently in the low 50's. Not bad considering the outdoor temp and the fact that every time I open the garage to drive in or out, it lets that extreme cold air in, but still cold to work in. Has anyone tried using their Tesla as a garage heater... leave it plugged into the charge port, open the doors on one or both sides if you can do both and turn the heater on full blast? Has it heated the garage very well? Did it seem more efficient than buying a little space heater? I have a 2 car garage but only one vehicle and the other space I plan on turning into a work area. 50 degree temp is not fun when you are trying to do precision things that require uncovered hands/fingers.

I have fully insulated garage doors, but lately the temps have been dropping to the low 20's and sometimes lower at night. My garage is currently in the low 50's. Not bad considering the outdoor temp and the fact that every time I open the garage to drive in or out, it lets that extreme cold air in, but still cold to work in. Has anyone tried using their Tesla as a garage heater... leave it plugged into the charge port, open the doors on one or both sides if you can do both and turn the heater on full blast? Has it heated the garage very well? Did it seem more efficient than buying a little space heater? I have a 2 car garage but only one vehicle and the other space I plan on turning into a work area. 50 degree temp is not fun when you are trying to do precision things that require uncovered hands/fingers.

New Teslas have a heat pump. You'd be heating the car with the garage, to heat the garage, so you'd effectively be running a very complex system that's a small resistive heater.

If yours doesn't have a heat pump that should be better as it's a more powerful resistive heater.

A "cold garage" mode that uses the stator to heat resistively could be useful.

Reactions: LoudMusic
And for a nerdy explanation of which type of space heater you should buy ...

Basically, more watts win. End of story. Don't get some weirdo big expensive thing because they all do the same thing. Maybe in a big garage having a fan to circulate the air would help. But I'd do that with a different device. Box fan on low for example.

New Teslas have a heat pump. You'd be heating the car with the garage, to heat the garage, so you'd effectively be running a very complex system that's a small resistive heater.

If yours doesn't have a heat pump that should be better as it's a more powerful resistive heater.

A "cold garage" mode that uses the stator to heat resistively could be useful.
Mine doesn't have the heat pump. Heat pump models started in 2021. Mine is 2019.

Using your car to heat the garage would be highly inefficient. Just watch the video above and get a spec heater.
I plan on getting a mini split later this year, but for now, when the garage is 50 degrees and you need to work in it, I'd like it to be a bit more comfortable so I thought with the car plugged in, I could open the driver and passenger door and crank the heater up. If it won't stay up with the doors open, then lower the windows and crank the heater.