Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2023.20.8 causes my car to only charge at 15amps at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 SR+ Model 3 with about 60K miles on it that I have owned since new. I charge it almost exclusively in my garage with a 240(? dryer style) outlet using TESLA's standard charging cord that came with the car, and for the last 4 years it has charged consistently at about 32-33 MPH. It may be coincidental, but once the car updated the software to 2023.20.8 a few weeks ago, it immediately began defaulting to a 15amp charge speed every time I plug it in. I discovered how to override that manually by bumping it up to 32 amps either on the car screen or using the app. Once I manually bump it up to 32 amps it remains there until the car is fully charged then it reverts back to a "15 amp" charge. I have to manually reset it to 32 amps every time I plug in the car. It has NEVER done this over 4 years and 60,000 miles of charging, 95% of which is done in my garage with the same charging equipment.

IMG_0982.jpeg

I've seen a couple of threads on this.

At this point, my recommendation is to simply chill. Literally.

The higher ambient heat is probably causing a lot of things to start cutting back on what they can do.

Wait for the temps to drop before doing anything about it.
Good one. Yea, look where he lives. Isn't that one of the places where the temperature has been like the surface of the sun during the last week? :eek::)

Reactions: brianbcc
I've seen a couple of threads on this.

At this point, my recommendation is to simply chill. Literally.

The higher ambient heat is probably causing a lot of things to start cutting back on what they can do.

Wait for the temps to drop before doing anything about it.

Good one. Yea, look where he lives. Isn't that one of the places where the temperature has been like the surface of the sun during the last week? :eek::)
I would tend to agree with you except that this car has been through 4 hot Phoenix summers already and never had a problem. This isn't the first time we've had 115 degree plus days in Phoenix!!! Also, it has been doing this ever since the software update which was 2-3 weeks ago. Through the years we have had it charging in super hot weather while the fans were running cooling the battery all at the same time. Today I charged it for two hours starting at about 3pm (hottest part of the day). As soon as I plug it in I get in the car and manually change it from 15 amps to 32 amps and it happily charges at that rate for a little over two hours until it reached the charge percentage I had set it for. It has no problem charging at 32 amps, it's just that I now have to manually set it at that rate.

I would tend to agree with you except that this car has been through 4 hot Phoenix summers already and never had a problem. This isn't the first time we've had 115 degree plus days in Phoenix!!! Also, it has been doing this ever since the software update which was 2-3 weeks ago. Through the years we have had it charging in super hot weather while the fans were running cooling the battery all at the same time. Today I charged it for two hours starting at about 3pm (hottest part of the day). As soon as I plug it in I get in the car and manually change it from 15 amps to 32 amps and it happily charges at that rate for a little over two hours until it reached the charge percentage I had set it for. It has no problem charging at 32 amps, it's just that I now have to manually set it at that rate.

Okay, I misread your post. It looks as if the car has determined that it needs to cut the charging back. I don't remember normally seeing the "Charge current at this location" before.

Reactions: heysteveh
I have a 2019 SR+ Model 3 with about 60K miles on it that I have owned since new. I charge it almost exclusively in my garage with a 240(? dryer style) outlet using TESLA's standard charging cord that came with the car, and for the last 4 years it has charged consistently at about 32-33 MPH. It may be coincidental, but once the car updated the software to 2023.20.8 a few weeks ago, it immediately began defaulting to a 15amp charge speed every time I plug it in. <snip>
Have you tried the standard "fix" for unusual problems: a manual reboot?

1. Try rebooting the computer
2. Check the settings on other devices/services that’s connected to the car (eg partner’s phone, tablet, third party monitoring apps etc)
3. Try setting the charge current while at that location without being plugged in on both the car and app and see if it sticks.

Reactions: davewill
Try setting the charge current while at that location without being plugged in on both the car and app and see if it sticks.
That is what will make it NOT stick. I was already thinking about this, but I saw:
As soon as I plug it in I get in the car and manually change it from 15 amps to 32 amps
This is the correct way. It will only change a memorized amp setting at a location if you are doing it WHILE it is plugged in there. But you're doing that, so it should update that saved setting. I am agreeing with the recommendation of trying to reboot this so it may reset whatever is stuck there.