Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice: Is this location in my garage ok to install a plug / charger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4C8558C7-F0F5-41FD-A074-3AA638EE9CA6.jpeg

4C8558C7-F0F5-41FD-A074-3AA638EE9CA6.jpeg
I will be installing a 240 plug soon in my garage.

Was thinking if the small area between the garage door openings would be ok ?

Will be using the charging unit that came with car and the install a hook to hang it up .

Please have a look on the photo and let me know if any others have done the same .

View attachment 371481

View attachment 371481 I will be installing a 240 plug soon in my garage.

Will be using the charging unit that came with car and the install a hook to hang it up .

Please have a look on the photo and let me know if any others have done the same .

Yes, others have done similar.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Looks good. Go for it. Several folks have even placed HPWC's in a similar location. Not that you asked about HPWC's... just that its more complex an install.
There is a thread that is useful to read on garage installs. It is quite lengthy. And there are several photo examples of different types and locations.
The home Tesla charging FAQ is located HERE.

HPWC has the advantage of having a place to loop the cord and the "box" doesn't hang free. A cord hook and possibly a bike water bottle holder for the UMC.

I was thinking thin plywood (1/8" perhaps, I haven't gone to the store) to mount on angle brackets. Effectively making a open cabinet box in that area. Haven't decided how deep to make it.

Find the best place is generally easy. But there's the little issue of getting the power to that location. It may be significantly easier and cheaper to get the plug mounted on the other side of the garage, it depends on where your distribution panel is.

Depends how you feel about exposed conduit.
Up the wall, across the ceiling, and back down.
Can cover with trim for looks.

View attachment 371481

View attachment 371481 I will be installing a 240 plug soon in my garage.

As others have mentioned, this is a common place to install charging cords. It is obviously concerning that it would be easy to get a cord damaged by the garage doors. Your plywood idea is a good one I think.

FWIW, I am a huge advocate of the Wall Connector, but that is a different conversation (I like keeping my UMC in my car even though I have never needed it outside of trips to vacation homes for a weekend). A Wall Connector might actually be more difficult to install here due to its physical characteristics (thicker cord, etc...)

As others have mentioned, you could install it on the other side of the car and pull the cord across every day, but I will say it is really nice spending the least amount of time plugging and unplugging the car (since you will normally do it twice a day minimum) and it is also extremely nice if you can come up with a way that lets you do it one handed.

I actually wonder if there is an opportunity here to just hang the cord from the ceiling up against the outer wall and have it hang a couple inches off the ground. Then you could just grab it and shove it in the car charging port. When leaving you would just carefully lower it back down into the hanging position. The "at rest" gravity position would keep it out of the garage doors and off the floor. The question is if this gives you enough distance on the cord to make it to the car depending on how much variation you have in your parking position daily?

Also, have you considered backing into the garage? I back into my driveway every day for this reason.

Reactions: Dana1
I decided against installing it on the middle section between the doors so the power cord would not be in the way when I walked between the car and the door or around the car to the side of the garage. If I had more room in front of the car I might have done something different.

Also if there are any photo's of a finished installation at a similar location , that would be helpful in visualizing what I need to aim for.

I have a NEMA 14-50 installed between the 2 garage doors. I bought a Tesla Cable Organizer and put in on top to hold the handle and cable when not charging. My car is parked outside, so I ran the cable under the garage door out. There are 2 lego blocks under the door to create a channel for the cable so the door won't smash it.

nema14-50.JPG