Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearly hit a bus - but the Tesla did nothing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was turning right at the lights. I was looking for a parking space in the road I was turning into - so I admit it I probably was not paying enough attention. A bus (large green double decker!) came from the straight ahead direction and I turned in front of it. Very close, no collision! my passenger shouted and I hit the brakes and came to a stop I think not more than 0.5m from the front of the bus. A bit of embarrassed reversing and all was OK.

BUT absolutely no warning from the Tesla. No braking, No Red bus on the screen. No insane beeping.

But my Tesla is very happy to warn me that there is an innocuous pedestrain walking on the pavement / that there is some grass obsuring the edge of the road / that I might have got a bit close to the white lines etc etc. All useless warnings - but when I needed it IT DID NOTHING.

There is NO HOPE for autonomous driving!

Reactions: fholbert and usrbin
So I was turning right at the lights. I was looking for a parking space in the road I was turning into - so I admit it I probably was not paying enough attention. A bus (large green double decker!) came from the straight ahead direction and I turned in front of it. Very close, no collision! my passenger shouted and I hit the brakes and came to a stop I think not more than 0.5m from the front of the bus. A bit of embarrassed reversing and all was OK.

BUT absolutely no warning from the Tesla. No braking, No Red bus on the screen. No insane beeping.

But my Tesla is very happy to warn me that there is an innocuous pedestrain walking on the pavement / that there is some grass obsuring the edge of the road / that I might have got a bit close to the white lines etc etc. All useless warnings - but when I needed it IT DID NOTHING.

But what would have happened if you had not taken evasive (braking) action? Skip to 3:15 in the video on the EuroNCAP page and you'll see that this scenario of turning across traffic is accounted for Official Tesla Model Y 2022 safety rating

I'm not saying that it would or would not have warned you and braked, because unless you go and repeat the turn again and this time do not take your own evasive action noone will ever know this.

AEB worked in my case. We exited from highway, the exit ramp is downhill and ends at a cross street. The light on the cross street was green, then turned yellow as the car in front of me approached it. I assumed the car in front of me would glide right through so I did not reduce speed to stop. The car in front of me hit the brakes to stop at the yellow. Then I moved my foot to the brake. AEB beat me to the punch and applied the brakes. It was very impressive. Lessons relearned: don't be in a hurry and don't tailgate. I love my 2022 MSLR.

Reactions: SO16

My Tesla goes into panic mode when it sees the washer / dryer in the garage. But yours missed a double decker bus.

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba
On the other side of the coin, Tesco trucks use mercedes primarily and they have such an over the top forward collision warning. I remember quite often I would be taking a wide turn into a side street and the sensor would pick up the bollards in the middle of the road, immediately smash the brakes on and leave me stranded in the junction, taking ages to release and let me carry on.

Or when it would pick up the overhead gantrys on the motorway and just harsh brake for no reason.

"My" Tesla doesn't do either of those so i'll take that as a win.

Reactions: Bouba
Are you saying AEB doesn’t work if you are travelling at less than 2.2 m/s (about 5 mph)?
From the Model S manual:
1000025753.jpg

From the Model S manual:
View attachment 999959
Makes sense if you are travelling at a speed where hitting something isn’t going to cause damage. Of course it doesn’t help if, as in the OPs case, stopping from a low speed might prevent you being hit by something travelling at high speed! I guess that FSD would have seen the high speed object coming and would never have got that close.

Reactions: zoomer0056