Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation to no-charger destinations (i.e. backcountry), handing off external plans to navigator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my T to go to backcountry destinations. If you navigate there, where there are no chargers, and arrive with 10% you'll get stuck.

On my computer I can hack a trip that is there-and-back, which makes sure you can make it to destination and back to a charger, but I can' t easily do that with the on-screen.

1) Does anyone have a good hack to do such trips using the onscreen navigator?

2) Does anyone know of a way to make a plan on the computer, e.g. abetterrouteplanner.com, and then share that plan with the car?

Thanks,

-TPC, still reeling from the accidental discovery of "rainbow mode".

I use my T to go to backcountry destinations. If you navigate there, where there are no chargers, and arrive with 10% you'll get stuck.

On my computer I can hack a trip that is there-and-back, which makes sure you can make it to destination and back to a charger, but I can' t easily do that with the on-screen.

1) Does anyone have a good hack to do such trips using the onscreen navigator?

2) Does anyone know of a way to make a plan on the computer, e.g. abetterrouteplanner.com, and then share that plan with the car?

Thanks,

-TPC, still reeling from the accidental discovery of "rainbow mode".
Presumably, you know where the nearest charger is to your destination. So create a route to the charger, then edit the trip to insert the destination as an intermediate stop. Or, vice versa, add the charger to the route to the destination.

It's a few extra steps, but either way will do the trick.

You cannot transfer an ABRP route to Tesla's nav. You may be able to share a destination, but not a route, or multiple destinations, so far as I know.

Are you trying to calculate where to charge using the navigation system, or just trying to include a known charging spot in your route? You can do the latter by adding the charging stop as a waypoint in the car.
Hello EVRider-FL: I'm trying to calculate where to charge and how long.

So, for example, in a trip SF, CA - Mono Lake, CA there are no chargers within like 40 minutes of Mono Lake. So if you just tell the navigator to go to Mono Lake, it will probably get you there with like 10% charge, but you need more than 10% to get back to another charger.

On abetterrouteplanner.com it is much easier to ask for, basically, round trip plan. In the car, on the screen, you really have to fiddle to do that.

I'll test that, but I suspect you put in a stop a few minutes from your origin, then you add your actual destination. I think this basically makes a round trip but I've had problems making this work.

Indeed, last weekend I added a charger stop as an added stop and it understood that, preconditioned, etc. etc.

Thanks,

-TPC

@Supcom: So your method is:

1) Enter the destination to find the nearest supercharger (modifying to find a 250 probably)

2) cancel, enter the supercharger as the destination

3) add the actual destination as an additional stop.

OK, that should work! Thanks!

Not elegant, but....

I must say it's weird that you can't just ask for a round trip. I have had messages about round trip battery amounts, but it doesn't seem predictable or consistent.

-TPC

@Supcom: So your method is:

1) Enter the destination to find the nearest supercharger (modifying to find a 250 probably)

2) cancel, enter the supercharger as the destination

3) add the actual destination as an additional stop.

OK, that should work! Thanks!

Not elegant, but....

I must say it's weird that you can't just ask for a round trip. I have had messages about round trip battery amounts, but it doesn't seem predictable or consistent.

-TPC

The other way you could try it is enter your endpoint(back home or close to it and then add your backcountry destination as a waypoint. It should(depending on where the superchargers are) add a supercharger stop before you get to your backcountry location and calculate charge time to be able to get you back home.

Maybe it will work better for you, maybe not but it's always worth a try!

Another thing to consider is how long you plan to spend at the destination and what you plan on doing while there. If you are planning to spend the night and/or drive around locally in the area, then you should take into account the battery usage driving around or from vampire drain. You might consider turning off sentry mode, for example, so the car will go to sleep while at the destination.

Another possibility, if you are going to a friend/relative's house or a place with an accessible outlet, is to plug the car while you are there. Obviously, a 110V outlet isn't much use if you are at the destination for an hour or two, but if you plan to spend the night, the 3-4 miles of range per hour start to add up. If you at a location where you can access a clothes dryer outlet, then you may be able to get a full charge before you leave.

Nothing beats a good set of charging adapters and a 6ga 240V extension cord.

Reactions: Stevewaclo
Another thing to consider is how long you plan to spend at the destination and what you plan on doing while there. If you are planning to spend the night and/or drive around locally in the area, then you should take into account the battery usage driving around or from vampire drain. You might consider turning off sentry mode, for example, so the car will go to sleep while at the destination.

Another possibility, if you are going to a friend/relative's house or a place with an accessible outlet, is to plug the car while you are there. Obviously, a 110V outlet isn't much use if you are at the destination for an hour or two, but if you plan to spend the night, the 3-4 miles of range per hour start to add up. If you at a location where you can access a clothes dryer outlet, then you may be able to get a full charge before you leave.

Nothing beats a good set of charging adapters and a 6ga 240V extension cord.
Thanks for the suggestion, but not many outlets in the backcountry!

You are correct, however, that one should consider driving around, vampire drain, and etc. while at destination.

-TPC