Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot is Useless (2018.42.3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is folks' current experience with FSD? This is an old thread.

Laughably bad. I just showed a buddy of mine (I almost NEVER enable FSD with passengers because of liability), and he was at first impressed that the car visualized things around it, but then immediately was brought back to reality by the random braking and steering. And lots of the same AP issues with lane split / merge exist in FSD, which makes things very exciting for the cars around you if you're brave enough to test with traffic. I did that once ever and decided I don't want to injure someone else, so I haven't ever since.

Laughably bad. I just showed a buddy of mine (I almost NEVER enable FSD with passengers because of liability), and he was at first impressed that the car visualized things around it, but then immediately was brought back to reality by the random braking and steering. And lots of the same AP issues with lane split / merge exist in FSD, which makes things very exciting for the cars around you if you're brave enough to test with traffic. I did that once ever and decided I don't want to injure someone else, so I haven't ever since.
Thanks for answering. I tend to only use the Cruise Control and sometimes the lane assist. We noticed the phantom braking has returned....seemed like it was fixed for awhile. ??

Reactions: DrDabbles
Thanks for answering. I tend to only use the Cruise Control and sometimes the lane assist. We noticed the phantom braking has returned....seemed like it was fixed for awhile. ??
A bit baffling to me why some other experiences are so much worse than mine. On the version 69..2.3 and the one before that, I'm using it quite a bit in the last month and haven't seen one single incident of unexpected braking or other serious issues. That is based on about 700 miles of combination city and interstate driving. Sure, I don't doubt some folks have real problems. Just that they aren't occurring with me. There are some things I think it should not do, yet, not a significant issue for me.

And yes I see this thread was started long ago and but newer versions slowly get better.

Reactions: Jane4
So far seems about the same to me. Still makes dumb lane change decisions (sure, let's try to pass someone 0.3 miles before our exit... ) and still doesn't make graceful passing actions (sure let's tailgate the person doing 10 MPH below our set speed with no one else around before we move over, eventually accelerate, and pass them... makes sense to me, what's you're problem?)

Normal AP + tap-to-change-lanes still seems much more useful than babysitting this nonsense.

I received v11.3.4 over the weekend and have noticeable improvements with the combined hwy/city stack now. Lane changes are very smooth on the freeway and it begins making the lane change immediately after signaling instead of waiting about 6 blinks of signal. I also didn’t have the issues I stated previously about it always trying to get out of the left most lane (non-HOV). It still had an issue moving over to one of the new Tacoma exits which I believe is a map data issue confusing it. There also is no longer the option to disable navigate on autopilot with the button on the screen that I could see to allow lane keep only with manual lane change, but so far I haven’t needed that anymore which is quite nice.

I had it set to assertive and it maintained left most lane. Next drive I’ll try average and chill to see if it does move out of passing lane.

Overall a lot happier with highway driving so far than the previous versions in my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj and VT_EE
You'll likely see none of me around here anymore, TBH. I traded my Tesla last week. The last tests I did were exactly the same behavior it has had in exactly the same places driving down I-93 from NH into Boston, MA. Lane change decisions are extremely poor, TACC is jerky and has several phantom braking events, and my favorite is the transition from AP/NoAP to FSD on off ramps. Hoooo boy, setting the off ramp speed to the highway speed and accelerating around blind curves isn't confidence inspiring.

Anyway, good luck to you all. I hope the system massively improves for you, and I hope you get a partial refund if you've purchased FSD.

You'll likely see none of me around here anymore, TBH. I traded my Tesla last week. The last tests I did were exactly the same behavior it has had in exactly the same places driving down I-93 from NH into Boston, MA. Lane change decisions are extremely poor, TACC is jerky and has several phantom braking events, and my favorite is the transition from AP/NoAP to FSD on off ramps. Hoooo boy, setting the off ramp speed to the highway speed and accelerating around blind curves isn't confidence inspiring.

Anyway, good luck to you all. I hope the system massively improves for you, and I hope you get a partial refund if you've purchased FSD.

You just need an AP1 Model S. By far the most useful highway system I've used (probably 100k+ miles at this point), and it's over 8 years old.

I've found AP1 + tap to lane change to be by far the most useful driver assist implementation. Doubly so with a no-hands-on-wheel hack of some kind.

We're no where close to FSD being actually useful (as in, relieve workload vs add babysitting workload) yet, unfortunately.

Reactions: kavyboy

Good luck out there Dabbs - out of curiosity, what did you end up trading into?

Reactions: APotatoGod
You just need an AP1 Model S.

This is no joke, and I think if more people experienced AP1 systems on the highway, they'd be outraged by the performance of AP2+. A system from 2015 is vastly more consistent and predictable.

what did you end up trading into?

Rivian R1T. Their service center is about 15-20 minutes closer to me without traffic. With traffic it's more like 30-40 minutes closer. I won't spam this thread with my thoughts, but so far I've really enjoyed it. And I'm not even a "truck guy".

This is no joke, and I think if more people experienced AP1 systems on the highway, they'd be outraged by the performance of AP2+. A system from 2015 is vastly more consistent and predictable.

Yep. I actually drove ~100 miles or so with a friend in my AP1 X last year. He has a 2022 Y, and he was amazed at how usable AP1 was compared to his own car's setup.

Kind of sad really. I've had AP1 since EAP beta, ~maybe March 2014, so over 9 years ago.

I must be missing something then. I've had a few AP1 loaners and the system always struck me as oblivious. At the best it was much smoother, for sure. In anything challenging it was terrifyingly awful. But hey, one thing we've learned for sure is that AP of all variants reacts really differently to local road conditions.

I have really disheartening news for you. AP2+ simply blindly and boldly does charges into situations. Which is why there's lots of videos of it hitting median barriers, bridge abutments, curbs, careening toward construction signs, hitting debris, bumping other cars when lane change aborts, etc. Yes, AP1 is "simpler", but what you're missing is that AP1 isn't designed to operate beyond its capabilities while AP2+ effectively has no limits on what it will do.

That fact seems to have users thinking that the system is "confident" in its decisions, but that's not really what's going on under the surface. It's just blindly charging into situations. The fact that behavior isn't consistent is kindof the dead giveaway.

I must be missing something then. I've had a few AP1 loaners and the system always struck me as oblivious. At the best it was much smoother, for sure. In anything challenging it was terrifyingly awful. But hey, one thing we've learned for sure is that AP of all variants reacts really differently to local road conditions.
Of course, and that's the point. If you take a system that only has a sinmple "stay in lane" system then of COURSE it wont phantom brake etc cause it wont brake AT ALL in an emergency. If you follow this logic then the best autopilot system is the human driver, since by definition the car will never make a mistake.

I have owned and driven extensively on both cars - AP1 and currently AP2. I am not seeing what others are describing.

In fact I see that AP2 makes pretty good lane predictions even in sections where the lanes are not clearly visible. AP2 identifies lanes more effectively then AP1. AP1 used to get confused by cracks and other spurious lines on the road. AP2 though in addition to visible lane lines it also does lane predictions based on the flow of traffic (I think). Since it is not AI driven it does make mistakes occasionally, but this is L2 and driver supervised. Under that definition, AP2 is far superior and much more useful. And I say that with my own experience and is not theoretical.

And I am hopeful once AP2 gets the same stack as FSD, it will get even better.

Last edited:
I have really disheartening news for you. AP2+ simply blindly and boldly does charges into situations. Which is why there's lots of videos of it hitting median barriers, bridge abutments, curbs, careening toward construction signs, hitting debris, bumping other cars when lane change aborts, etc. Yes, AP1 is "simpler", but what you're missing is that AP1 isn't designed to operate beyond its capabilities while AP2+ effectively has no limits on what it will do.

That fact seems to have users thinking that the system is "confident" in its decisions, but that's not really what's going on under the surface. It's just blindly charging into situations. The fact that behavior isn't consistent is kindof the dead giveaway.
North of here there has been some very long term road construction. There is a section of road where it's been restriped twice due to a lane shift, each time getting ground down before new stripes were applied. My AP2 car has handled it well since early 2018. AP1 cars will happy charge ahead across the lane lines. It freaked me out the first time I had an AP1 loaner. This is a scenario that is supposed to be well within the capabilities of that system, and it fails utterly on it. If I get an AP1 car as a loaner now, I will not use AP through any portion of highway that has had the lines shifted.

This is based on personal experience in multiple AP1 cars. AP1 is at least very predictable in the ways that it fails. It still doesn't make me more comfortable with the system than AP2. Both of them require supervision.

So far seems about the same to me. Still makes dumb lane change decisions (sure, let's try to pass someone 0.3 miles before our exit... ) and still doesn't make graceful passing actions (sure let's tailgate the person doing 10 MPH below our set speed with no one else around before we move over, eventually accelerate, and pass them... makes sense to me, what's you're problem?)

Normal AP + tap-to-change-lanes still seems much more useful than babysitting this nonsense.
So "Useless" or "has uses"?

What did you get instead? Does it have something like FSD?

Reactions: APotatoGod