Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 21" Ride Comfort vs Subaru WRX (and swapping 21" fronts for 21" rears for square set)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah this. Model Y packaging, interior space, seating, cargo space, etc is flat out excellent as a midsized family car. And it has plenty of Go even in LR, let alone P.

The 3 and Y drive really really similar, as similar as they look, yet they also drive quite different. Once I realized I wanted a truly sporty car again, I compromised on getting a 3 (and replacing dampers+springs), even though it gives up a LOT in passenger+cargo space & comfort to the Y. It's very much a compromise, pick your priorities.

There are some crossovers that get ride & handling much better from the factory, including a certain EV crossover in its top trim, but they have other shortcomings vs the Y.
How does changing the dampers and springs change the amount of cargo space?

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
Omg, I can't imagine your modded Subaru as a teen driver. Lucky kid! 😁

I got in enough trouble with my 85 hp hand-me-down...
It's got an ecutek Prodrive tune on it from way back when Prodrive was actually in the US, gawd showing my age here. Luckily I set base map at just spring pressure so that's like 7psi. I also have a spare stock ecu that I have to swap into to pass CA emissions so that's another possibility. Yea, I did mod the hell out of it so I'm trying to make sure his maturity is where it needs to be. Crosses fingers.

There's a lot more to handling than max G's on a smooth skidpad...I think that's largely just a function of tires and maybe lateral stiffness. Lots of sporty-ish cars put up big numbers stock a skidpad these days, especially if they come with aggressive performance tires.

Can my M3P pull more G's than my old STI could 100% stock down to the tires? Maybe, but the M3P doesn't hold a candle on twisty, uneven back roads.

Btw I've read some reports that older Model 3 were stiffer than 2021 refresh. Don't know if that's true or if that carries over to the Y.
Yea, see this is my concern. I don't plan on regularly pushing the car to its absolute limits, but I do regularly drive faster than everyone else on the road and I want a car that can do that safely. The Tesla I'm sure is capable of doing that, especially with the safety features disabled that might try to kill me during spirited highway weaving. I felt the body roll in the MYLR and it was wayyy more than the M3LR, but the M3 also has more roll than my WRX. Now it's tough to tell how much of this was impacted by the tires on the test drive vehicle, but there's definite body roll regardless.

The acceleration and skid pad is not, as someone else mentioned, the only one most important factor in a car's ability to handle. The body roll and stiffness of the suspension is much more important to my needs because I consistently am passing other cars and sometimes needing to navigate with a more responsive touch to maintain a safe rate of travel at my preferred velocity.

It is also of extreme importance to me that I can enjoy the car the way I want to enjoy it (obviously), and that the car can do what I want it to. Now whether this is obtainable through new coilovers or something else, I'm interested in improving the handling at least to the degree of my WRX. I can safely drive that to its limits, and that's what I want to understand the most out of the MYP. This will come with time, but if I can make the limits bigger, I'll be capable of being a better driver.

How does changing the dampers and springs change the amount of cargo space?
LOL. No, it doesn't. I compromised on the back seat & trunk to maximize fun. ;) This was a second car purchase, we're keeping our 2013 S P85, so we still have a bigger cargo hauler when we need it. (Though Y back seat is far better than S back seat, FWIW.)

Our kid is still young. At some point he'll be too tall to sit comfortably in the 3's back seat for road trips (because it's so low to the floor), but that's a ways away. I realized I didn't truly need crossover cargo hauling or back seat for this car, even though I started off shopping in that direction. For anyone who does, the 3 is out of the question.

Last edited:
Yea, see this is my concern. I don't plan on regularly pushing the car to its absolute limits, but I do regularly drive faster than everyone else on the road and I want a car that can do that safely. The Tesla I'm sure is capable of doing that, especially with the safety features disabled that might try to kill me during spirited highway weaving. I felt the body roll in the MYLR and it was wayyy more than the M3LR, but the M3 also has more roll than my WRX. Now it's tough to tell how much of this was impacted by the tires on the test drive vehicle, but there's definite body roll regardless.

The acceleration and skid pad is not, as someone else mentioned, the only one most important factor in a car's ability to handle. The body roll and stiffness of the suspension is much more important to my needs because I consistently am passing other cars and sometimes needing to navigate with a more responsive touch to maintain a safe rate of travel at my preferred velocity.

It is also of extreme importance to me that I can enjoy the car the way I want to enjoy it (obviously), and that the car can do what I want it to. Now whether this is obtainable through new coilovers or something else, I'm interested in improving the handling at least to the degree of my WRX. I can safely drive that to its limits, and that's what I want to understand the most out of the MYP. This will come with time, but if I can make the limits bigger, I'll be capable of being a better driver.
First you cannot disable anything on the MYP. And frankly you don't want to on the street cuz w/o the assists you could get in serious trouble. There's just too much torque and you'd eat thru those expensive tires in a day. There is some roll in the MYP but I think it's an appropriate amount. You don't actually want a car that is too stiff which means it has less traction. I would wait and drive the heck out of your MYP before anything. It handles pretty darn good imo and it's ability is a lot higher than many realize.

First you cannot disable anything on the MYP. And frankly you don't want to on the street cuz w/o the assists you could get in serious trouble. There's just too much torque and you'd eat thru those expensive tires in a day. There is some roll in the MYP but I think it's an appropriate amount. You don't actually want a car that is too stiff which means it has less traction. I would wait and drive the heck out of your MYP before anything. It handles pretty darn good imo and it's ability is a lot higher than many realize.
Sorry, didn't mean turning off traction control or stability systems, just turning off the emergency braking system if it thinks you're going to hit something. You can turn that off, right?

You may find you don’t need to weave as much because you’ll get to 80 hundreds of feet faster than your wrx did

lol was this you?

This was me...
lol...

20210823_201040.jpg

When you started off this thread with having a WRX, I knew how you liked to drive... 🤣
Love my baby. Gonna miss it. And it's stick. Great 7 years in that car. Stage 1 and perfect just the way it is.

Got it after my last Subaru Impreza got killed by a BMW 7 series. RIP

Attachments

• 20211013_144929.jpg
    20211013_144929.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20211028-211516_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211028-211516_Gallery.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20210312-082708_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210312-082708_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20210312-083953_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210312-083953_Facebook.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 46
The staggered set will induce more understeer than a square set-up, plus you can't rotate, but You're going to have to push it really hard to notice those differences. If I wanted to really push it to the limit, I would go with a 20" 40 series performance tire and a square set-up. To notice any type of difference in acceleration you're going to need to drop all the way down to 18's with ultra light wheels and tires. there's just not enough weight difference to make an appreciable difference, besides the entire power curve is electronically controlled anyway, so it's going to pull about a 3.5 (approx.) from 0-60 even with lighter wheels/tires.
I was reading a thread on here with a guy who was testing this and found the 0-60 times to be different, by about 0.3 or 0.4 seconds.

I was reading a thread on here with a guy who was testing this and found the 0-60 times to be different, by about 0.3 or 0.4 seconds.
Differences should only be down to a couple tenths at best. Have you driven one yet? I ask because it doesn't seem like you have yet. You'd need like 600HP+ to overcome the instant power of a MYP to 60 and the quarter. That should give you an idea of the power step up you are about to get into. The only ICE SUV that beats one is a Urus for ex. The other thing that never gets translated in reviews well is the roll on prowess. Watch the Edmunds video for giggles.

Btw on a different topic I recommend you look into PPF on the front half and the rear quarter doors.

Differences should only be down to a couple tenths at best. Have you driven one yet? I ask because it doesn't seem like you have yet. You'd need like 600HP+ to overcome the instant power of a MYP to 60 and the quarter. That should give you an idea of the power step up you are about to get into. The only ICE SUV that beats one is a Urus for ex. The other thing that never gets translated in reviews well is the roll on prowess. Watch the Edmunds video for giggles.

Btw on a different topic I recommend you look into PPF on the front half and the rear quarter doors.
I test drove only the M3LR and MYLR. Can't find a performance to test. I'm sure the performance will feel better than the LR. I am very curious to feel how it pulls at speed. My test drive vehicles were speed limited to 85mph. I am very curious to feel the performance 60 - 100. And I'm definitely getting PPF. Called a few places around me. Full front and the rear quarter parts cost about 2.3 to 2.5k with window tints included on driver and passenger doors.

Last edited: